Skip to main content

Whoa- I guess I sounded like I accused GT of being a thief. Sorry if that is the way it came off. Just supporting a philosophical premise that is often either misunderstood or ignored. Especially by today's youth. My teens know the difference between right and wrong generally speaking, but still think it is okay to download music they have not paid for. The philosophical premise is the same as shoplifting, but they don't see it that way. I am sure we all want to respect the fruits of someone else's labor!
Last edited by impartialbut
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Ball Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by j2h6:
How are Noah and Scott....I've not seen them in a couple years.....good kids....are they going to continue to play at the next level?

You can see the response on Scotty; a great student/athlete (his mom and pop are friends of ours and I am sure they are as proud as can be). I have heard that Noah is not necessarily interested in continuing to play, which I think is a pity.

I have also heard that both of them are working on their pitching mechanics because it looks like South Lakes may struggle on the mound this year. While this may not seem like anything special on the face of it, I am really impressed that they would take it upon themselves to work on those things to help their high school team win ball games....

So what is the deal with Ian? I heard he went to play with some team down south...
Last edited by thumpsdad
Big Ry? Ian is heading off to Frederick CC next year to play. He signed a couple weeks ago (I posted it on another thread). Looks like a good fit; he is going to compete for a spot right away at catcher, the coach is real positive guy and a number of the guys he plays with in the summer will also be playing there. He has already committed to the Iron for this summer if you guys want to head down to the stadium. I am glad you joined; send me a PM.
quote:
Originally posted by thumpsdad:
That's great news. Ian did a great job as a camp counselor at the summer camp teaching our kids some of the finer points of catching. Since we moved we had lost touch a bit, so it's especially good to hear.

Sorry, I didn't see this until a little while ago.

Thank you; that is kind of you to say. While he recieved some instruction from Wally Horsman (the pro instructor out of Del Ray beach @ Bucky Dent's baseball school), he would probably tell you that the instruction he got from Mark Rueffert (Horsman's pupil, formery w/ the Tigers and UVA and now Herndon's JV head coach) really taught him how to do the job. Irony of ironies, I heard tonight that he will probably move out of that spot and back to one of the middle infield positions to make way for Zach Leach, a junior who has been waiting in the wings for a couple years. Good for Zach; we figure it will save Ian's legs for the summer and fall...
Last edited by Ole Ball Coach
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball Fan 5:
I bet Ian is glad to have the season finally starting. I got him pegged for all district honors at a minimum and probably more! I heard he picked a runner off of second the other night FROM HIS KNEES!!! Keep up the good work Ian we are expecting great things from you!

Yup, we saw that one. It was just the perfect situation, Hitti was pitching, Michaely was playing short (Ian, Michael and Nick have played together since they were in the 13U's). Ian put a play on and it was bang-bang. Michael hit his spot just outside, Nick broke at the perfect time and the throw was never two feet off the ground; I think the kid from Marshall is still wondering what happened.

Thanks for your other comments. While I am always hopeful, Ian threw the kid out after subbing for the starter. Never say never, but I think the focus is on the younger players now. It is what it is.
Just to note, the Concorde's 1st and 2nd team catchers from last year were juniors last year and both return for their senior seasons and college careers beyond. So, is it possible for McNichol to get all district honors, sure, but it will probably have to be at another position. As an infielder, you've also got returning first and second teamers at short, first, and third base, with players committed to ACC, SEC, and Big East teams. So, it's a longshot at these positions, too. His best bet, if all district honors are that important, is if he hits well and Herndon wins some games against the better teams, will be either as a second baseman, a DH or Utility player. This is not a knock on his talent, because we've played against his Herndon teams for many years and he's got talent. Good luck to Ian but the Concorde is one tough district this year, with a lot of really good seniors.
Last edited by Superball
quote:
Originally posted by Superball:
Just to note, the Concorde's 1st and 2nd team catchers from last year were juniors last year and both return for their senior seasons and college careers beyond. So, is it possible for McNichol to get all district honors, sure, but it will probably have to be at another position. As an infielder, you've also got returning first and second teamers at short, first, and third base, with players committed to ACC, SEC, and Big East teams. So, it's a longshot at these positions, too. His best bet, if all district honors are that important, is if he hits well and Herndon wins some games against the better teams, will be either as a second baseman, a DH or Utility player. This is not a knock on his talent, because we've played against his Herndon teams for many years and he's got talent. Good luck to Ian but the Concorde is one tough district this year, with a lot of really good seniors.

Supe-

I am inclined to agree. In years past, I think we have all seen players that haven't lived up to the hype, but we really do have some great ballplayers in the Concorde this year. In any event, it will be fun to watch.

Interesting thing about Herndon baseball, it is entirely possible that only one of the position players will return to play the position he played last year. Our middle infield graduated, the center fielder and third baseman may pitch, the right fielder (one of personal favorite ballplayers) is in after sitting much of last year. Ian DH'd the other night, went in to play SS, and then went in to catch. At this point, anyway, we may be fielding at 1B by committee. Interesting times....
I saw the Herndon group at several tournaments this past summer and they competed as the only team with players from a single school. They were overmatched a bit as you'd expect playing against quality travel teams, but they showed a lot of character. This will pay off and they may surprise some people this spring. We'll be watching.
quote:
Originally posted by Superball:
I saw the Herndon group at several tournaments this past summer and they competed as the only team with players from a single school. They were overmatched a bit as you'd expect playing against quality travel teams, but they showed a lot of character. This will pay off and they may surprise some people this spring. We'll be watching.

I guess it is "official"; Ian is going to play SS for the Hornets this season. One of the coaches suggested that he consider coming in to pitch an inning or two in relief, but Mom put the kiy-bosh on that. Also, he will not switch hit at all during the HS season (though he will be hitting from both sides with the Iron and at FCC). He wants to play with his friends and the HS coaches are still not comfortable with it. Fair enough.

Most importantly, the Herndon Hornets returned from our Florida swing 2 and 1. We got absolutely crushed by a very good FL team (Park Vista Community HS), that was well into their season, but beat up on a couple of other "early season" teams. I am told that the Georgia team we beat was very highly ranked. I still am not convinced that we will make a lot of noise in the Concorde, but it sure will be fun to watch.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Superball:

Ry told me that he was TM-ing with Connor and he apparently did pretty good. So Connor McNichol is going to follow in his brother's footsteps?
Last edited by thumpsdad
quote:
Originally posted by thumpsdad:
quote:
We'll see. He is a freshman and loves it, but probably not as much as Ian. A lot of things can happen in three years...

TSt attended the A and B games and told me that Ian kicked butt in FL and that Connor was every bit as good as the "B-Squad" 2B, SS or 3B. What gives?

I am not sure that I know what you mean.

Connor is competing for a spot but is in the middle of a growth spurt. I just hope he grows into his feet =). PM me.
Welcome aboard. You are right; a lot of good players from that area. See, you just gave yourself a job =).

As you can probably imagine, a lot of the commenters here are related in some way to the kids they are talking about (though there also appears to be a fairly sophisticated "scouting" community). Folks see something and want to share; most of the information is pretty good, though you can probably figure out soon enough which of the commenters are just grinding an axe or simply trying to get a certain kid's name out there. Also, there is a good Virginia Preps site that has info (though I think most would say that it is more public relationsy) that publicizes high school sports.

I am certain that there is a lot of good information as to prospects and the happenings in your area. You should start a thread of your own. Again, welcome aboard.

OBC
Thank you, being from a inner city district ( Condo Ally ) baseball is being overtaken by Lacrosse and S****r. Certainly, I have interest in name recognition of my sons but also of all sons . This is how I see the promotion game working.I don't doubt for one second that there are coach's and scouts in my area that know talent when they see a player, not because some over excited mother says so(unless she is very attractive)I hope I can set out and achieve my objective : to see my sons competition and other sons competition,and promote both ? The bouncing ball and bat will decide the rest. Once again thank you as I am starting to babble.
Well, I had a variation of this conversation with Superball (and a rather long PM conversation with another old-timer) earlier; generally, if a kid can play, he will get noticed by the folks that evaluate players for a living. More often than not, the "hype" is spot on, in part because there are a fairly large number of "fact-checkers" at most games.

That said, if I had it to do over, I would have been a little more savvy with this PR stuff with my older boy and his fellow hs players. In our group, probably only one of them is going on to play in college and I think that is a shame. I firmly believe that, for most kids with an interest, there is a college team for them to at least roster on.

Don't get me wrong, I am not sure even if the PR is that valuable in and of itself; I do think that it has become a cottage industry and a ballplayer has to do it almost in self-defense. Also, one must consider that the college coaches have limited resources and have to get their information when and where they can, so there is a little value there. Still, it gets to be a bit much when you have the opportunity to watch a game and see a detailed after game "report" that make a 1 for 3 night with a walk sound like the 5th game of the NLDS =).
I got lost on the pitch count. Seems more often a problem, now that talent gets noticed early and drained away before the child gets to enjoy the sunshine.165 pitches is not a win it is a juvenile coach that is a vicarious champion.I was in a supply store and was excited to talk baseball to the young man at the counter . He told me he to loved the game and when he was young he played little league and aau and was quite the pitcher, he used to pitch quite a bit. I asked him what the lengthy scar was on the inside of his right arm and he told me he does't pitch anymore. Did I need anything else today? Sometimes they get noticed too soon as well as forgotten,how do we fix this problem at the high school level ? I love baseball and I love that rival game , but I also love the kids.Lets fix this without pointing fingers.Does anybody have a Zagnut,those were my days at Bluebird Park
NOMADAD, I hope you will stay with it. The great thing about baseball is that there is always another day. I don't know if you have read any of my other posts, but I personally know of a number of player who have transcended the most incredible difficulties and still have succeeded. I hope that you will be, not just a parent, but a fan of the game and let us know who is is a player that is on the radar....
=(Player name removed by moderator)= SUCKED..he barely made second team all district so you need to shut up..give some credit to allan and chris and zach..they helped the team the most..you need to come off your high horse and realize your son is not that good..he is a TERRIBLE switch hitter and is a dead pull hitter from both sides..get with the program

== youknowwho34 has been banned from this site. MN-Mom ==
Last edited by MN-Mom
quote:
Originally posted by youknowwho34:
=(Player name removed by moderator)= SUCKED..he barely made second team all district so you need to shut up..give some credit to allan and chris and zach..they helped the team the most..you need to come off your high horse and realize your son is not that good..he is a TERRIBLE switch hitter and is a dead pull hitter from both sides..get with the program

== youknowwho34 has been banned from this site. MN-Mom ==

**edited and locked by redbird5**
Last edited by redbird5
Link copied to your clipboard.