Skip to main content

A few more top sophs in Central IL to keep eye on next spring...all 4 started Varsity as Freshmen last year for their AA High Schools - 3B/OF Blair Springfield of Decatur MacArthur - a 5 tool player; DH/P Tommy Jennings of Sacred Heart Griffin - hit .330; SS/P Chaser Todd of Jacksonville - hit .320 and C/3B Buddy Sexton also of Jacksonville - hit .270, 6 HR's.
Scotty Firth is an excellent player, but he did play high exposure travel ball. He played for the Schaumburg Redhawks, Illinois Express, and one other top team in between that I can't remember.
My son who I don't want to hype on this site (and those that know me please don't provide the name) played varsity as a freshman. In the tough CSL he batted .323 4 homers, school record for triples, 29 RBI's and played excellent defense. He has not been mentioned. Should he be on the "underrated" thread?
The reason I mention it, is there are many excellent players in this State that never hit this site, travel ball or not. I think it is good that these kids get mentioned. It is fun to know who is who when you play the teams in high school or travel. Scott Firth will be an outstanding pitcher for Stevenson. He also plays good defense. His family is very nice as well.
A list of some of the Top 2008/2009's:

Top 2008 Player: Brian Lorenz MVP as a Soph on Lyons Township summer State Champ...
Most athletic can do it all.

Top 2008 Catcher Dominick D'Agata: Schaumburg High School - Durable and impressive pop time has scouts talking.

Top 2008 Pitchers: Danny Jimenez, St. Charles. Lights out with command of the upper 80's
Tony Zych; St Rita - Impressive fastball with poise and command of his pitches.

Top 2008 infielders: Barrett Serrato; West Chicago - Impressive at Area Code tryout, nice athletic movements, fluid release. John Lorenz; Lincoln Way East, Could be one of the best SS
Tom Simek St. Lawrence, quick with a great bat and speed on the path.

Top 2009 Player: Jack Havey Loyola Academy. Already drawing the attention of Division 1 coaches.
Big lefty with lots of movement.

Top 2009 Catcher; Michael Falsetti Fenwick High School, Excellent skills can also be effective on the mound. Others, Niko Gomez Ignatius, Brian Norwood Lake View, Ryan Connelly Hinsdale. Gage Ecklund Marion Cen. Jason McClain Hinsdale Cen.

Top 2009 Pitchers, Havey, Brandon Duplesis Lockport, Ryan Crowley Morton, Sean Kennedy Varsity as frosh, Connor Duckhorn Hinsdale, Joe Cecchi Romeoville can also play the middle. Chris Razo IVC All State HM as Frosh, Tanner Howell Beardstown. Derek Brown Woodstock, beat Bergen Beach at CABA.

Top 2009 Infielders; Brandon Hohl Lincoln Way, can also play outfield, Anthony Maldonado Oak Park River Forest nobody can get to hole like this kid. Jordan Parr Illinois Valley, Jordan Coffey Batavia, can do it all, great frame and potential. Sam Pichiotti, Oak Park River Forest, fluid range.

Top 2009 Hitters: Mike Kane Notre Dame, smooth swing with power, best lefty bat at this age, Joe Stachewicz, Lyons Township another big lefty bat. Mike Mistrada, Schaumburg big power nice glove. Ryan Pacyga Nazareth; Big upside with fast bat. Steve Cserenya; Joliet Catholic, another lefty with power. A.J. Plese JCA Great 1B. Angelo Burrage St Rita nice power and smooth swing. Jake Naumann Naperville big kid who gets the job done can also pitch in the 80's, Justin Ringo Stagg.
quote:
Originally posted by TT41:
Pitchers that I have seen so far that I really like are.

Jack Havey LHP Loyola.

Sean Kennedy LHP Warren.

Colton Tortorello RHP Mundelein.

John Menke RHP Highland Park (kid has just started to grow and appears to be very projectable). It will be very interesting to see where he stacks up in the future. Keep an eye on this one!

Catcher Josh Levy at Niles North is outstanding on the field and in the classroom. Class act all they way!
Last edited by TT41
Jack Havey; Loyola Academy; summer team Bergen Beach, is the top 09 prospect, projected as a pitcher, but can also hit. Anthony Maldonado; OPRF; summer team Dupage Diamondbacks, is the top SS prospect, strongest arm and nice fluid lateral movement. Mike Kane Notre Dame; Top Tier is considered the top lefty power hitter in the group.
Mike Falsetti; Fenwick, summer team Berwyn Bulldogs
is the top 09 catching prospect.
Last edited by Ibach
I was asked in PM where we get information and what do we base it on:

We develop infornation on players from a variety of sources, including our on staff TBS-USA contributors, scouts, coaches, tournament directors and volunteer contributors. We like to take a look at the players when they are matched up against the top teams in the country at high profile events. That is where we truly separate the talent pool. Feel free to send us any info you have. TravelBallStarz@aol.com
*We also look at how kids grade at showcases like the ones developed by Perfect Game, Top 96 and Baseball Factory. Another outlet we pay close attention to is; USA Baseball and who gets invited to the USA Baseball Junior National Team. Kids get invited from the Florida & Arizona Junior Olympics and then the two groups tryout for spots on the National Team. Always nice prospects when the dust settles.
*We also pay attention to the rosters of the top travel organizations: East Cobb, So Cal Redwings, Nor Cal, Naples Bats, All American Prospects, Beaver Valley, Bergen Beach, Richmond Braves, Houston Banditos, Dupage Diamondbacks, Seminoles, Cincy Flames, Indy Bulls, Baltimore Buzz, Cal Starz, Oklahoma Elite, West Florida Young Guns, Georgia Roadrunners, Team Georgia, Houton Angels, Seattle Starz, to name a few.
Last edited by Ibach
Tanner Howell (2009)from Central Illinois could probably be one the best Lefties Pitching this year in the state.

Should be in the high 80's (Howell was clocked as high as 87 on the Jugs gun at one event at the CABA World Series last year and 84-86 on the Stalker (slow gun) in another game. He also has a great curve and a nice change.
Last edited by MN-Mom
The class of 2009 seems to be loaded with talent; we could all mention players that deserve some recognition. There is going to be many exciting games over the next couple of years. I've seen a good number of the players mentioned for 2009. I think you're right about Menke. I've seen him play. He has a good cut fastball and comnined with good control. He is definitely a pitcher versus thrower.

quote:
Originally posted by TT41:
Pitchers that I have seen so far that I really like are.

Jack Havey LHP Loyola.

Sean Kennedy LHP Warren.

Colton Tortorello RHP Mundelein.

John Menke RHP Highland Park (kid has just started to grow and appears to be very projectable). It will be very interesting to see where he stacks up in the future. Keep an eye on this one!

Catcher Josh Levy at Niles North is outstanding on the field and in the classroom. Class act all they way!
[/QUOTE]
Jack Havey LHP Loyola. Tuesday pitched 6 shutout innings against a very good Notre Dame team that beat New Trier, Havey earned the victory. Quality performance over a quality team, very impressive for a Soph. This kid is the real deal.

2010 I really like Jesse O'Conner RHP Maine South. He is a right handed version of Havey. Watch for this name in the near future. Tall, strong kid who can light up the gun into the low and sometimes low/mid 80's with a very good splitter and curve. Very high ceiling here!
Last edited by TT41

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.