Skip to main content

Here are mine in no particular order....

J.T Files- Clutch, really can hit,Big legs, Strong catcher, works great with staff, love his hitting potential, Great receiving skills, all around catcher

Matt Shortall- Strongest arm for catchers in area, long projectable body, athletic behind plate, hitting is very good although a bit raw, scary potential in already great prospect

Jonathan Walsh- Strong build, excellent defensive skills, Great arm, Will become a better hitter, very good all around prospect, will lead a good Coppell team with Kettler

David Wright- Signed to TCU, Strong catcher, Great Arm, Great receiving skills.

There are a few. Lets hear of a few from yall. Who should we watch for in no order or age?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you all for all of the input. Its very good to see how people react to certain prospects. Baker is indeed a very good prospect as is many others on this list.

I really like what nortex brought up about how he would start a team around Shortall.That is a very good choice if I where to start a team also as is many of the names listed. I really like the train of thought lets hear some other opinions.
You could say that. I've only warmed up with one kid the past three years.

This comes up with some kids I know, but how many of these catchers project as catchers? How many of these position players project as position players? This is a topic for a wider thread, but I know Matt might make a dang good right fielder considering his arm strength.
Last edited by Dtiger
Dtiger brings up a excellent point on projection.

I can see a catcher who is built like a catcher now and say "Yes, this kid is a good catching prospect". Thats good and all but if there is a limit to his ceiling then he is harder to project. With Shortall you see a great outfield arm. Who knows? When its all said and done he could be out there but for now I see a prospect that can grow taller and fill out to a big catcher. With many of the guys I listed, I see catching in there future but you never can quite tell exactly where they will be. It is very fun to see young projectable athletes that can play many positions and I see that more and more in all these names and throughout the DFW
Last edited by DallasTXwatch711
quote:
Originally posted by Dillon:
Don't know if you can count him technically speaking as a catcher or a metroplex kid, but Jarrod McKinney of Hughes Springs HS is a kid with tons of tools.

I've seen him catch some and I see where you're coming from, but with that speed, I don't see how you can keep him out of the outfield. It would be a shame to have that kind of speed stuck behind home plate. This is just my opinion of course.
Last edited by Old Pitcher
Fischer does have very good size along to go with very good skills. Definitely a catcher to keep an eye on.

I honestly think that catcher is probably the most important position on the field. The DFW area is full of some very fine prospects in this area. To have prospects like Files, Walsh, Shortall, Wright, Baker, and many others mentioned in one area is truly something special.
Keep an eye on Bo Altobelli at Plano this year. While he was a utility infielder last year, I expect to see him a lot more behind the dish in 2008. Outstanding pop time and excellent receiver which will make it difficult to run against Plano. Bo also is a tremendous student of the game and will be an asset to the Plano pitching staff. I know my son loves it when Bo catches him during the Summer as they play on the same Select Team.
Quinn with Royse City is strong behind the plate has a strong arm and great awarness behind the plate he was 2nd team all district last year at 3rd and was the back-up to Gerrett Ellington behind the plate.

I believe that the brother of Teddy Nowell for Poteet High School in Mesquite, Beau Nowell will also help the Royse City baseball Program from time to time behind the plate as a Freshmen.
9-5A

A kid who has not received much press around the area is the catcher from Lake Highlands, Evan Curtis. He is solid with strong skills. Great feet, consistent bat with power potential. Not sure about his pop time but he is more than adequate. Evan has caught all of his pitchers (including my son) since Little League Days and on in to select (so he knows their tendencies). 2nd year starter on Varsity behind the plate. I hesitate to put this on here because LH is flying low under the radar screen and we like it that way. I look for Curtis to surprise some folks. Last year (as a Junior) he was All District Honorable Mention.
Royse City is currently 3A. And for everyone that don't know Beau Nowell is a very good at any thing he does.

I look for him to play 3rd and back-up at the Catcher position. And for anyone to says, he is a Freshmen how good could he be, then you don't know anything about the players that lined up to play for Coach Ted Nowell and the winning teams he coached at Poteet. Look at Teddy Nowell and J.T. Files, they both were very good as Freshmen. And Beau is going to be as good by the time he graduates you will be talking about him more than you every talk about a kid before this.

Have a great season to all teams.

With Chaz Quinn starting at 3rd and backing up Garrett Ellington at Catcher last year, it appears that Chaz will be starting there with Beau Nowell backing him up, but this is currently undetermined on who will be starting at that catcher and who will be on 3rd. But believe me you can not go wrong with eighter behind the plate or on 3rd.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of other players in Royse City and there baseball program is headed in the right direction to be able to compete at the 4A level if they move up next Year.

Don't get me wrong they are not a Poteet program, but they are headed in that direction with the current leadership in Coaches and Player.

Come out and see for your self, They will be in playing in the Mesquite tournament, where they are scheduled to play Poteet, South Garland and Creekview.

I know both of the Nowell kids and they are very good players, if you have not watched eighter boys play you need to before you talk about either kids athletic ability.
quote:
Originally posted by guest1222:
How Does Flower Mound look this season.

Who is their catcher this year ?

Do they have any pitching ?
The catcher this year will most likely be Mitch Lehman. This team is really young. Their oldest pitcher at graduation will be 17 years old. There are no 90+ pitchers at this point like there has been in past years. This is a rebuilding year for Flower Mound.
quote:
Originally posted by dfwdad08:
Must be one of SWAC's recruits ...

You know SWAC...always has a few tricks up his sleeve. He also has another 2011 recruit on the team with the kid from Oklahoma that can catch a little bit as well. Any coach would love to have either one, and you can basically between the two of them.
Some people keep mention Bryan Fisher from Creekview. Last season, he blew up on the plate in a game...swore at the coach and quit has not played in a year and is not playing for Creekview..

They have a freshman catcher at Creekview that is strong - Will Henning, who has played a lot of select ball and will be someone to watch for in the future. Very smart, strong arm and a good bat.
Know this is an old thread but......Kevin Terry is a player at Jesuit. I hear everyone talking about a kid named Shortall there and I haven't seen him play but.....if he's better than Kevin Terry he must really be something. If he's not the real deal Lucille, he better not slip up....KT will be one of the best catcher's in the area and may be the state before he's finished. He is a true warrior with a lightning bolt on his right shoulder and he can really swing it.
love the topic and nice to hear someone's kid name brought up that I know. the important quality for all these young outstanding catchers to have is the willingness to constantly attempt to get better.It's the most physically and mentally challenging position in all of sports,there is no way these guys are as good as they're gonna get.I want to watch they're development,this is a subject close to my heart cuz my boy still catches and he was never thought of as one of the best H. S. catchers by so many on this board or at least not mentioned as much as others at the time.Anyway good luck to Kevin Terry and the Rangers of Jesuit, as well Stiner,Shortall,and Garcia.
In that year's class there are several great catchers to see;

Beau Nowell, Mesquite
Will Henning, Carrollton
Nick Bullington, ?
Skylar Ewing, Arlington.....

These mentioned were way ahead of Terry - all through the years growing up and now. Saw Terry within the year and he is good, great kid, but these are very strong.
Kevin Terry does have many tools and could someday be one of the areas top catchers. Unfortunately, we will all have to wait until next year because there is no way he will be taking playing time from Shortall. He does have some good attributes but lacks all the experience it would take to be able to top Shortall. He will get time at 3rd.

For now I think the guys to see are (Alphabetical order)

Bo Altobelli- Plano Sr- Texas Tech Signee

Abel Baker- Denton- Oklahoma Signee

Drew Benefield- Rockwall Heath

Craig Hayes- South Garland

Matt Shortall- Jesuit- Tulane Signee

Jonathan Walsh-Coppell- Texas Signee
Agreed...those guys are players too.

KT is just a sophomore so his time is coming. Great arm, great pop time, great bat, good speed for the position....but you can't measure heart and character. It has to be displayed...I've seen KT's first hand. Heart of a lion and great character guy.

Watch and see...he'll be one of the best.
DD 09

Thanks for the info on this year's catcher's... look forward to seeing them soon.

My favorite is Walsh.

Future 2011 class - I believe Beau Nowell and Will Henning are starters on their varsity teams as sophmores. Not sure about Ewing and Bullington. KT is not in the same league as these four above, regardless of how much "heart" he has.
quote:
Originally posted by 4290:
Future 2011 class - I believe Beau Nowell and Will Henning are starters on their varsity teams as sophmores. Not sure about Ewing and Bullington. KT is not in the same league as these four above, regardless of how much "heart" he has.

4920:
I believe Nowell will be splitting lots of time with Senior catcher. From what I hear he'll be playing lots of infield (away from the dish).

And since WH is your kid, that would tend to make you a little biased wouldn't it? Personally, I wouldn't put Nowell and you're kid in the same category. I've seen both play and Nowell is far more advanced behind the dish!
Last edited by NuffSaid
4290 et al....Didn't realize you had dogs in the hunt. Be careful...I learned a long time ago what happens when you chirp about your own kid.

I was simply commenting on "Top Area Catchers" as the title suggested and giving props to a fine young man and an outstanding player.

There are two words that will separate KT from the others you mention:

Pro Jectability.

I don't know how you get to be much more projectable and raw than Matt Shortall. Maybe because he could also play RF with that hose. When I played with him (and I've had this discussion with him many times so it doesn't go as an insult), he had plenty of flaws mechanically hitting and catching wise (flaws might be the wrong word, places he could improve) and he still hit .400--in a weak lineup. He tells me he's fixed some things, and he's constantly working on all aspects. Shortall's heart? Don't question that boys drive and passion for the game.

KT has some promise, and he plays with a dang good organization, but he's mostly potential when compared to some of the older kids. Shortall will be at the top and still has potential he's yet to find.
Last edited by Dtiger
quote:
Originally posted by DallasDad09:
..... for now I think the guys to see are (Alphabetical order)

Bo Altobelli- Plano Sr- Texas Tech Signee
Abel Baker- Denton- Oklahoma Signee
Drew Benefield- Rockwall Heath
Craig Hayes- South Garland
Matt Shortall- Jesuit- Tulane Signee
Jonathan Walsh-Coppell- Texas Signee
WOW - if I'm reading our 2009 Grand Prairie tourney schedule correctly, we will get to see a couple of guys from this thread like Altobeli, Blake Johnson, and Craig Hayes.

GED10DaD

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.