Skip to main content

My son is a junior in HS this year and will be playing on his Varsity team this spring and wanted to get the opinions of the posters on who are the best players, their positions, and year in school. Where are some of these kids going to college next year? Does the western suburbs have an abundant amount of Division I caliber players?

Something for me to look for when I attend his games this spring. Good Luck to all the players this spring.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Western burbs kids only ???

West Suburban Conference"

C - Chad Biznette / 2005 Hins Cent
C - Brian Flannigan / 2004 LT
!B - Miles Kurgan / 2004 Leyden
2b - ??????
SS - Antesburger - / 2004 Glenbard West
Brewer - 2005 LT

3B - ??????
OF - Viscomi - 2004 Glenbard East
Laidlaw - 2004 Downers Grove South
Murray - 2004 Downers Grove North
Long - 2004 Hins South
P- Schutlz- 2004 Hins South , Baughman - 2004 LT, Reiglar- 2005 DG South,

AS usual, ive left some out.. so fill in the blanks, replace who you want, put in who you want.
my thoughts on some top players.
P Sagwich Glenbard West 05
p Schults Hinsdale South 04
p Dennahey OakPark 05
p Binder Hindsale Central 05

p Baughman Lyons 04
3b Mahler lyons 05
ss Brewer lyons 05
ss Anetsberger GBW 04
ss O'connor Oak park 05
2b Bromann GBW 04
1b Price Oak Park 04
1b Gawenda Lyons 05
cf Schults Hinsdale South 04
cf Chubikus GBW 04
cf Laidlaw Downers South 04
Cf Hart Oak Park 04 of Considine OakPark 04 of Mcfolling Oak Park 05
Of Ronosky Lyons Township 04
of Long Hinsdale SOuth 04 of Finn Glenbars South 04
of Viscome Glenbard East 04
of Farell Naperville Central 05
of McKay Willowbrook 05
ss Reimer Glenbard South 04
c Weis Naperville Central 04
of Finn Glenbard south 04
c Flanagan Lyons 04
c Bisnette Hinsdale Central 05
3b lee naperville central 05
sorry about the spelling,and i know i left some out.

Last edited {1}
HCDad, Contrary to some posts,I believe that our West Sub. Silver is about as good as it gets in HS baseball. In Miami and Ft. Lauderdale the smaller schools (Private and expensive are ******* up a huge pile of talent.(Brito, The Westministers,Cardinal Gibbons,Monsignor Pace,Tampa Jesuit, St. Thomas) Along with them we still see a very powerful Gold Coast Conference which is scarily similar to our WSS. Many northern kids move to south Fla. to play at one of these schools.After that esteemed group there are few conferences that could compete w/ours. We are loaded as are the SW side guys because of 1)base talent2)high end travel teams like Upper Deck, Lombard Lightning, Arlinton Longshots and many more. Too many of us think it can't happen here because of weather but I noticed last year that the Florida and most southern boys play no more games than we do.(about 100-130)Credit coaches like OPRF,GW etc. who encurage travel ball and actively seek Fall oppurtunities.The weather won't change but oppurtunities can if the right coaches get put in place.By the way, places such as Strikes or the WSA would be making 3X the dough in South Florida. My understanding is that many coaches there run scared of losing talent to the next guy and lock their kids into specific programs.
Tar,Thats a great discussion all by itself. The great 12 year old coach Tom Matsie believes that although practice is very important, its what happens in games that brings out the answers a coach is looking for. If your kid can get 250 or more At Bats from age 11 - 12 then the games become the practice! This guy has won about 83% of the games he has coached w/ about 1 practice a month on avg. He does work them hard indoors from Jan - April. I believe our problem is the %$#@ weather we are forced to play in during March and April.That along with the lack of outdoor practices puts us behind early. But on the other hand our guys look pretty good around June-July.So there is another reason we get fewer big time ships. The high school season is not an equal playing field. The Midlands teams,The Ohio Warhawks,Indiana Yankee program and Norwood can compete with anyone once we can play everyday above 60 degrees!
Although some kids burn out along the way,most are in 7th heaven with a full schedule of games that gives them the experience they need at the higher levels. Additionally it can tell a parent whether to proceed w/baseball or move on to something else. My son and most of his baseball freinds feel like they are the members of a pretty cool private club. Not for everyone,certainly not, but its high time that people recognise why some kids are way behind others at the Pony and higher levels.The really good travel programs play 50 + games at a minimum.
...Our experience...There are only 3 or 4 competitive teams/programs at the 13-14 year old level, in the Chicagoland area, that you can play each summer.

The rest of the games are played against "daddyballers"...you know, the kind of team that have one or two good players plus the coaches son and the rest should have given up the game (to play s****r) by age 12.

We were 44-7 one year and our only losses were to teams at national tournaments. Many of the teams we played against locally resulted in scores of 27-2, 18-0, 29-4, 361-2. Definitely counter-productive.

Please...don't tell me that you play all 50 games against national-level competition!
soxnole.....

By-and-large, Beenthere, TARatko, talent, myself, and others agree with what you are saying. BUT, your not going to have more "quality" programs like Lombard, Norwood, UDC, Wisconsin Blazers, Racine Hitters, Indiana Bulldogs, and some others, until someone person, or organization, commits to bringing the necessary facilities to this area in-order for us to compete nationally.

Yes, we have the WSA, Strikes, The Ball Yard, CF Swingtown, the place in Mokena (I can't keep-up with the ownership and name changes), and many others, but that is indoors. Someone needs to step-up and create playing facilities (maybe like Bourbonnais or Crystal Lake) and conduct high quality tournaments. Have Perfect Game, Team One, Midwest Prospects, College Select, organizers of showcases, participate in collecting player information from the Midwest, here locally, during events similar to the Area Code Tryouts at North Central College, or the Evaluation Combines put-on by the White Sox. Our "top talent" always has to go to warmer climate events just to see if, and where, we can have our kids play at the next level.

Now, take the "projectable" player, pro projectable player. Joe Dunnigan, possibly even your son from what I hear, except for a few, most kids in high school baseball don't know about the names of the showcase providers that I mentioned above. So, knowing that you have to play games to get better, and become more aware of your instincts (feel the force Luke), you have found the path to future opportunities at the next level for your son. Most kids haven't and probably won't find that path, and even if they did, most still won't get the opportunities because of "stereotypical" standards.

Talk to Beenthere some time about his ideas for better teams in this area. He can fill you in on the deatils. And, please be happy that you are lucky enough to be where you're at. Oh, and don't belittle anyone else, or be condecending, it's not nice. Remember, "what goes around, comes around."

I wish your son nothing but the best, and I hope that OPRF lives up to the high expectations that have been put on them for this coming baseball season.

"You observe a lot by watching."
thanks BoomerII, only got uptight w/Mr peabody 1 time. Other than that i have only responded in kind....and in good fun. i do believe that we are about the players and their families and civility is the core from which we proceed. if my freind is unkind i still must remind him of the core from which he has deterred.By the way don't forget the LOMBARD LIGHTNING!! great program across the age groups!!
Its good to be back !!!! .. Boomer, my computer went down last week, and I went through HSBaseball withdrawel. All is well with me, and the family. I hope your holidays went well, Ill see you and Andy at Strikes soon. Ill be making my Weds trips there again.

As far as OPRF,they have the talent, with many great kids, Im looking forward to a LT, OPRF game. 2 great teams going at it, and both coaches know the game. WAIT ..lol .. didnt Downers South beat OPRF AND LT last year ??

I just threw that in, its the only thing we could hang our hat on !!!
Anyway, I look forward to a great HS season. Play nice all.

Mustang Dad 23, Norwood Blues Dad 9
Tar,

O'Brian is a quaily man, as well as a coach. You and your son will like him. We had a opportunity to play with LL this past year and didnt. Played with Norwood in the fall. Pildes is another good man for the game. With LL, you cant go wrong. We are blessed with some pretty good 18u teams here in chicagoland. Norwood, LL, Top Tier, Indiana Bulldogs, Wisconson Blazers.

Good luck

Mustang 23 dad ( Laidlaw )
Dennis, doing well, We are going to go the junior college route. We signed a letter of intent to go to Olney Central College in southern Il. Jon will start and lead off and they gave a us a great package. room, board, tuition, books and fees.

We are going out to see Monmouth, Il. D 3 and Bemidji State U, in Minn. D 2

For those who dont know junior colleges do give scholarships, and you can sign a letter of intent with a JC, and continue looking at NCAA, and NAIA schools, and sign a letter of intent with them also. I always keep something in my back pocket

Dennis, hopefully all is well with you.
quote:
Originally posted by hitNrun:
Western burbs kids only ???

West Suburban Conference"

C - Chad Biznette / 2005 Hins Cent
C - Brian Flannigan / 2004 LT
!B - Miles Kurgan / 2004 Leyden
2b - ??????
SS - Antesburger - / 2004 Glenbard West
Brewer - 2005 LT

3B - ??????
OF - Viscomi - 2004 Glenbard East
Laidlaw - 2004 Downers Grove South
Murray - 2004 Downers Grove North
Long - 2004 Hins South
P- Schutlz- 2004 Hins South , Baughman - 2004 LT, Reiglar- 2005 DG South,

AS usual, ive left some out.. so fill in the blanks, replace who you want, put in who you want.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.