Skip to main content

Hello HS Baseball Web Community,

This is my first post here, but I plan on becoming a regular dropping in to give advice and talk about the game I love.

My name is Ricky Caputo, my story is...

I was a mediocre little leaguer, turned into a decent HS player, that got a chance to play in college at Hofstra University as a pitcher, who then turned into a second basemen when players got hurt/dropped out, I then turned into a pretty decent third basement, who ended up getting drafted in 2006 by the Washington Nationals. Not bad from where I started from...

My road was a slow developing transition from awkward little leaguer to professional baseball player.

I have seen bigger, more talented players fall by the wayside due to their lack of commitment or even more because of their bad attitude.

I am starting a monthly e-mail newsletter to help players and parents answer some of the questions they will come across throughout your Childs playing career.

In my first article I tackle baseball tryouts, I explain in 22 tips my secrets to having a successful baseball tryout.

Other Newsletter topics will include:
How to make a College Coach notice you.
How to make Pro Scouts notice you.
How to Stop Striking Out.
and a new article FREE each month...

Here are a few tips from my "How to Have a Succesful Baseball Tryout Article".

1.Be on time: If your not 15 minutes early your 15 minutes late!

4. Introduce Yourself: If you have never met the Coach before make sure you go out of your way to say hello and shake his hand introducing yourself. This will show the coach you are a mature young man with a professional attitude and strong self confidence. The type of confidence needed to lead a team, or get a game winning hit.

11. Fake it Until you Make it: If your strong point isn't defense, the coach doesnt know that yet! Just "fake it until you make it" that's a great quote that means, try hard to look like you are completely comfortable on a baseball field even if you are not, if you are able to fool enough coaches throughout your career, you'll keep making teams and moving up the ladder.

22. Be coachable: Coaches are not looking for an all star player. Yes all stars are fun to have. But so are players with the ability to get better. It is more satisfying for a coach to find a player he knows has athletic ability and the burning desire to become a better ball player, and turn him into an All Star. That's why they are "coaches" in the first place.

If you are interested in reading more tips along with a personal story about my final day as a professional ballplayer, just follow this link and enjoy!

www.RickyCaputoBaseball.com

I look forward to checking back and seeing what you tihnk!

Sincerely,

Ricky Caputo
http://www.RickyCaputoBaseball.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ricky - welcome to the hsbbweb!

I just looked up your stats on baseball cube and you were an excellent college player!

Our policy here is generally that people post to our site in order to contribute to our site. In that spirit, our site hopefully should not be used to build or grow some other website. For example, this is a GREAT topic all by itself. No need to direct people to another website. If you want to contribute content (your writings, not weblinks to your site) then we welcome you with open arms as you have the type of background that is really valuable and like gold here imho.

Please feel free to send me or better yet the site owner Mn-Mom a private message and we can discuss offline if you like. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Again, I believe you have great experiences to share with our site.
Ricky - thanks!

I'll ask you a question perhaps off topic. You had a great career at Hofstra. Looking back, would you like it to play out the same way as it did?

For example, what is you opinion about going to a school that may be a stretch for a given player. Perhaps going to a southern school, competing and watching for a few years and then breaking into the lineup as they matured - would you trade that for the four year playing career that you had?
ClevelandDad, thanks as always for watching out for our community and helping new members to understand how it works.

And Ricky, thanks for posting, and thank you for being understanding about the rules. As CD (ClevelandDad) explained, we don't allow members to advertise another website here. But if you just contribute to discussions here without promoting, it will likely benefit you as well as our members.

Welcome - we're glad you are here!

Julie
quote:
You had a great career at Hofstra. Looking back, would you like it to play out the same way as it did?

For example, what is you opinion about going to a school that may be a stretch for a given player. Perhaps going to a southern school, competing and watching for a few years and then breaking into the lineup as they matured - would you trade that for the four year playing career that you had?

Great question:

Hofstra was a stretch for me at the time! I had all intentions of sitting for 2 years, playing hard, growing up (I didnt hit a real growth spirt until senior year of high school), and putting in my time.

But as you'll see on almost every college team, one big prospect fails out, two guys get hurt, one guy gets in trouble, and someone doesnt pan out to be nearly as good as the coaches thought he'd be.

Basically what I'm saying is that things can change. I got my first starts in college late in games as a pitcher.

A few freezing cold pinch hit at bats here and there. Then 12 games into the season we are 0-12, our senior second basemen strained his hamstring, so I got my first start at second base.

We won, I played ok, dont really remember, but hit a grandslam in my second start. And it was all over from there.

I say GO FOR the big school. If I hadn't gone D1 it would have been harder for me to play college summer ball ( I played in Coastal Plains League and NECBL, Virginia and Maine) and summer ball is the breeding ground for draft picks.

Take the shot on the big school down south or up north or that matter, the key is getting the foot in the door, once its cracked you can swing it wide open!

But I should also say, when going about the recruiting process do not limit yourself to go for it schools, make sure you have some local schools where coaches can actually take a look at you.

Because the #1 most important factor when it comes to getting signed is getting seen.

I was scouted one day by my college coach, and one day from my pro scout. I know that because I never met my scout, he saw me play my last weekend of my senior year at Hofstra. When first rounder Adam Ottovino was pitching and 29 other scouts were there to see him.

I played great, had the numbers to back it up, and it was enough for the scout to draft me.

http://nextgenerationbaseball.blogspot.com/ thats the link to the scouting report of the day that got me drafted. Scroll down a smidge lower than halfway and there will be my report.

This game is an amazing game, each players journey is differnet, and mine was one I wouldnt change for the world.

I hope I answered your question cleveland dad.

My personal email is Ricky_Caputo@yahoo.com all members of this community can feel free to email me anytime. I will do my best to give you an honest opinion on what ever question you ask.
quote:
But as you'll see on almost every college team, one big prospect fails out, two guys get hurt, one guy gets in trouble, and someone doesnt pan out to be nearly as good as the coaches thought he'd be.

Basically what I'm saying is that things can change. I got my first starts in college late in games as a pitcher.

A few freezing cold pinch hit at bats here and there. Then 12 games into the season we are 0-12, our senior second basemen strained his hamstring, so I got my first start at second base.

We won, I played ok, dont really remember, but hit a grandslam in my second start. And it was all over from there.

Ricky - thanks for the detailed response - great stuff.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.