Skip to main content

There were a couple of good threads here ~18 months ago about "what is an HA."  (And I opined at length there, so for now I'll just say "opinions differ--and that's OK.")  Some folks' lists might include Sewanee or Hampden-Sydney, for example. 

Washington & Lee has a crypt with a life-size reclining sculpture of Robert E. Lee (which is located in Lee Chapel).  Lexington, VA is surrounded by places that saw fighting in the Civil War and the town is full of reminders of The Recent Unpleasantness.  If W&L isn't southern, I can't imagine what would be.  (And I say this as someone who's family has been in the south for 250+ years. 

Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line.  So opinions might differ about how to define "the south," too.  I'm ok with that.  Just make sure your son contacts a wide array of schools if he's fishing in the D3 pond, because my experience was that there is almost no predicting which ones will show interest.

As someone who moved from the North (MA, CT, RI, NYC, etc...) to Richmond, Virginia 30+ years ago, I can give you my two cents.   There is the physical "south" and then there is the metaphysical "south".   Virginia has changed a lot in the last 30 years, so my viewpoint is probably rather new than to others who grew up in it.  Everybody's idea of the "South" is changing, and Virginia is changing quickly politically and socially.   I see it everyday in the former capital of the Confederacy.  This past Wednesday, Robert E Lees statue was removed from a central part of town called Monument Avenue.   My point is this isn't your grandpappy's "South" anymore.

In my mind, The current "South" starts in Fredericksburg, VA once you've left Washington DC and Northern Virginia and head down to Richmond.   The "South" is also a state of mind, and Lexington, VA where W&L is located is very much the "South".   W&L was one of the first schools to contact and offer my son (through his travel coach) as they saw him play next door at a VMI showcase.  We visited W&L a couple of times, and I know several alumni.   More importantly than what you and I think, they think it is the "South".

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

My all time  favorite Deep South story.

Years ago we visited a fish farm restaurant near Augusta GA. When placing our orders, my son in law asked for his fish broiled. They said it was extra if not fried.

Better yet when we asked where the salad bar was located, she told us they had a all you can eat hush puppy and grits bar!!!

They I got lost and drove thru a "Travelers" neighborhood. Very nice large homes that were covered in aluminum foil for a year while they lived in trailers in the back yard.

But all told I loved the "good ole boys" from the South I served with in the ARMY.

@adbono posted:

Reads just like 4 threads on HSBBW were cut and pasted together. Exact same content has been posted on this board for months.

Due to perceived time management constraints, many interested parties, just want a simple consolidated answer.

Note most information on social media is repurposed from another source.

Josh has a more than 15.8k followers on twitter, so I believe the strategy is understood.

HSBBW is like that old baseball scout, not much flash, good content, but it might take a while to consume.

Has recruiting drastically changed in the last 10 years?

Who remembers the book written by The Sports Source?

https://www.thesportsource.com/

Has recruiting drastically changed in the last 10 years?

If drastically = significantly, then the answer is "yes" in my opinion.   The experiences my son had with recruiting 10 years ago is  quite a bit different than the people I know going through it today.   This is probably a good topic to start another thread.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

I'm gonna disagree on THE South.  In THE South, they serve sweet tea and you have to ask for it to be unsweet and all tea has ice in it down here.  I'm not sure most southerners would consider most of Virginia to be in the south anymore because it is too close to Washington and Maryland definitely is not.  And some would say there are sections of Florida that have lost their right to be called Southern due to the large influx of Snowbirds.  When we lived in Missouri, someone told me I still living in the South and I had to laugh.

Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon Line. But they were neutral during the Civil War. I don’t feel like I’m in the South when I’m in Baltimore.

I don’t feel like I’m in the South when I’m in the Washington suburbs of Maryland and Virginia. I’m with Fenway. It doesn’t start to feel Southern until approaching Fredericksburg. Although a lot Louden County has a Kentucky feel to it with its horse ranches.

When I spent a week on business in Charlotte I felt like I was in Any City USA. However, the people were a lot nicer than the Northeast.

My kids grew up in Philadelphia suburbs. My son went to college in the Midwest. His first impression as he called it, the people are “goofy nice.” I told him they just don’t play “in your face” like he was accustomed.

I go back and forth between homes in Southern ME and the North Shore of Boston. When I head back to Boston I joke “it’s time to get my FU back on.”

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.