Skip to main content

First, I want to thank everyone on for their advice in an earlier post as to whether my son should be a PO to focus on pitching or to keep doing both.  Thank goodness we listened and he kept hitting!  Short story - my son broke his hand and was out his entire sophomore year.  We started his Junior year with no interest from colleges not even knowing how good a season he would have after being out.  He had a good spring hitting the ball but was struggling trying to keep up with both hitting and pitching.  He had been a dominate pitcher when he was younger - LHP, 1B, OF

He decided to keep hitting and has had a great summer hitting the ball.  A East Cobb team saw him play and asked him to join their team.  They like him as a position player and he hit over .400 playing 18U competition in 5 perfect game tournaments.  He started hitting to all fields and went from no doubles during school season to 7 doubles in the last five tournaments.  OBP very high, OPS over 1.0.  He played against some of the top teams in the country, hitting off some highly touted recruits and proving he can hit 91+ MPH pitching.  He made 3 straight PG all tournament teams.

Where do we go from here?  He is now getting some interest from good Juco programs and some D2 & D3 programs.  A little interest from low D1. This is a huge improvement over where we were two moths ago with no one knowing he even exists.  He believes he has shown he can play at the D1 level, but is it too late to realistically focus on D1?  Should we put all our efforts into D2 and Juco?   He is a good student with a 3.6 GPA and just loves to play ball.  His perception is that D2 is sort of giving up (I know this is not the case).  He has some work outs coming up where the coaches have reached out to his summer ball team, but outside of these workouts I am trying to figure out the best direction from here.

Thanks for you help!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Like most kids, he wants to play D1, but is open to Juco and a good D2. His goal is to keep improving, enjoy college baseball, and get a shot in the minors - he is a very hard worker. He understands it's a long shot and always keeps his grades up - 3.6, honors, national honor society.

from our early correspondence it seems the d1 rosters are pretty full for 2017.

Ripken Fan posted:

Does JUCO make any sense to a 3.6 GPA, NHS student? I would think D3 would be the better (non-D1) option.

Depends on the person.

A lot of common impressions about JUCO being an inferior academic option are out of date. JUCOs are not just for unprepared or unserious students. 

In many parts of the country, well prepared high school grads who are serious students can productively spend two inexpensive years at a JUCO taking courses they know will transfer to specific programs at specific state schools (often with guaranteed acceptance provided they meet published course and GPA requirements). 

The unprepared students will find themselves placed somewhere in the hierarchy of remedial courses where they won't slow down the students who are ready to take legit first and second year college-level courses.

I've taught at a service academy, a private four-year college and a JUCO. Of my deans and department heads, my supervisor at the JUCO was the one who was most interested in the quality of teaching and rigor of the coursework.  He was determined that anyone who got through his program would be able to succeed in an upper level course offered by any university in the country.  

Last edited by Swampboy

Yes.  Noah is very aware that Juco can be a good option.  A good Juco that is frequently nationally ranks has show a lot of interest--talked to his Travel coach, invited us out for a visit, and invited him to a workout in August.  At this particular school his admission could automatically transfer to several state schools if he keeps his grades up and takes the right classes.

Also, I forgot to mention that he has received an offer from a D3.  I am not very familiar with D3's, but no scholarship money and limitations on transferring.  Seems like a one sided deal to the school's favor?

I need some insight on the JUCO thing too.  I hear, "Good students shouldn't go JUCo to play ball."  Why not?  The grades transfer; don't they?

How does Jr. College hurt a good student?  Tuition is through the roof country wide.  I was counting on a couple years of Jr. College for my kids.  I also like the two extra years with them close by home, since frontal lobes don't fully develop until closer to 21.

Son could go 4 year easily.  Probably even academic help.  Yet he would like to PLAY at a 4 year and have a shot at D1, despite not being 6'3" 190 as a 15 year old.

Is this a bad decision of he's a pretty good student?

There have been lots of opinion and debates about JUCO on this forum.  From what I gathered, the quality of JUCOs differ significantly from area to area, both in terms of quality of education and quality of baseball.  So each situation may be different.  But one overriding theme is that choosing the JUCO means it is a two-stage process that many would like to avoid.  Sure there are cost savings and the degree says where you finished, not where you started.  But from a baseball standpoint, it means having to start the whole search over again, and typically to a smaller population as a number of schools do not recruit JUCOs and focus instead in-house on their 4 year players.  It is not that easy for kids to play a year or two with one coach and a group of friends and then pick up and start all over again with a transfer. 

So most kids given a choice would prefer to set up for a four-year run at a D1 with a good school reputation.  But like you said, that does not apply to most kids, so JUCOs have to be part of the consideration for alternatives.

A 3.6 GPA kid will get really good looks from Academic schools if he can get in front of them. As far as Division 1 baseball, we are only a few months away from NLI day.

Now is the time to vet interest:

Remember, genuine interest means your son is a 'prospect' the easiest way to figure out if your son is a prospect is the phone. Is he receiving calls/ texts from RC's ? If yes, great. Needs to ask where he is on the recruiting board. "Where am I ranked on your board for LHPs?"

If no phone calls , then this is not real interest. This is 'Follow' . A follow receives email. Lot's of camp invites and program updates. RC's call prospects. They do not call follows.

"Let baseball get you into a school you wouldn't normally get into" was one of the best mantras I applied w/recruiting with my son.

A 3.6 GPA 2 way LHP can get a hell of an education and a boatload of academic money at a D3 . And plenty of high quality well funded baseball programs. Emory, Rhodes, Hendrix

Good luck and best of luck to your Son!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.