Skip to main content

USA baseball 2017-tryouts are around  the corner for us in the Midwest, I have a few questions ,

is it worth It?

is it a money grab?

is it expensive?

who scouts the events ,who makes the decision if the kid moves on?

I know that NC is where you play the games if you make the tryout, but is it all out of pocket expense?

any info would be help

thx

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I assume you're talking about the NTIS series?  What age?  My son did it as a 13U player....complete waste of time & money, though a lot of the issue back then was the group running the Ohio Valley Region.  Horrible coaching, took kids from their travel teams who were bad rec ball kids, etc, etc.  The event was good for the most part...80+ degrees in NC in October.   Each region (Midwest, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, etc) is run by a different group.  I'd suggest finding someone who's familiar with them and maybe went last year and get their thoughts. 

For the local tryouts, the scouting/organizing is farmed out to local travel ball clubs.  They decide who is going to make the trip to Cary.

The entire trip to Cary for  the "second" round is all out of your pocket.

Unless your son has always been the most dominant player (by a large margin) in every tournament  and league he has played in, the chances of making the development team are near zero, so don't go for that.  

Once their they have USA baseball scouts that watch every game and take notes, but in reality I think they know who they want to watch and everyone else is just there to provide bodies for games.  I'm sure there is the rare case of someone they don't know that hits several HR's or pitches 10+ mph faster than everyone else in the age group, but for the most part position players just aren't getting much of a look.  Just a matter of too many kids there for scouts to sit in chairs for 12 hours a day and really pay attention to all the players....that would be an impossible job.

c2019 posted:

USA baseball 2017-tryouts are around  the corner for us in the Midwest, I have a few questions ,

is it worth It?

is it a money grab?

is it expensive?

I know that NC is where you play the games if you make the tryout, but is it all out of pocket expense?

any info would be help

thx

Out this way NTIS is thought to be a money grab, that is my opinion of the whole thing. Agree that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of players selected to travel to Cary from the NTIS hosting organization's team (read self-licking ice cream cone). I also agree that they already have a good idea of who they want on those teams based on other USA Baseball events such as national team championships.

I think going to the National Team Championships is money well spent, however, but strictly from a competitive environment perspective.

In a nutshell (in my opinion) I would never go to USA Baseball events with the expectation or hope that your player is going to be selected for another look, go to the team-based events for the strong competition. Ball out, regardless....you never know what might happen.

C2019, I believe your son is a really skilled player, if I remember correctly, so why not go to the local event and see how it goes? You could always decide not to go to Cary -- and save the out-of-pocket money -- once you got a chance to see what the regional process was like . . .

I will say that all 7 of the kids who are current or former teammates of my son and who made a national team or NTDP, or were alternates, were all very strong baseball players.

SanDiegoRealist posted:
c2019 posted:

is it worth It?

is it a money grab?

is it expensive?

any info would be help

thx

Out this way NTIS is thought to be a money grab, that is my opinion of the whole thing. Agree that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of players selected to travel to Cary from the NTIS hosting organization's team (read self-licking ice cream cone). I also agree that they already have a good idea of who they want on those teams based on other USA Baseball events such as national team championships.

I think going to the National Team Championships is money well spent, however, but strictly from a competitive environment perspective.

In a nutshell (in my opinion) I would never go to USA Baseball events with the expectation or hope that your player is going to be selected for another look, go to the team-based events for the strong competition. Ball out, regardless....you never know what might happen.

I would add that you should do it at least once, even if they have pretty much picked who is going to be on the team.  My son and I had the time of our lives!  We spent the week together and traveled around the area to check out the awesome college stadiums.  The Cary facility is beautiful, and it is a wonderful experience.  Well worth the money.

2019Dad posted:

C2019, I believe your son is a really skilled player, if I remember correctly, so why not go to the local event and see how it goes? You could always decide not to go to Cary -- and save the out-of-pocket money -- once you got a chance to see what the regional process was like . . .

I will say that all 7 of the kids who are current or former teammates of my son and who made a national team or NTDP, or were alternates, were all very strong baseball players.

I was thinking the same... wasn't your son invited to an AC team?  Could be a no brainier to attend the local NTIS tryout.

If you are selected for the NTIS team, my advice would be to go if:

A. You can afford it.

B. Have no pre-thought about being selected to move on with National Team.

My son was selected and he and I made the trip to NC a few summers ago. Great experience, beautiful ballpark, Cary/Raleigh/Durham is a wonderful part of the country, and got to visit a few ACC schools. If anything, it created more motivation for him and provided confidence that he could hang with good players (our particular So Cal team was pretty darn good). Good luck. 

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I assume you're talking about the NTIS series?  What age?  My son did it as a 13U player....complete waste of time & money, though a lot of the issue back then was the group running the Ohio Valley Region.  Horrible coaching, took kids from their travel teams who were bad rec ball kids, etc, etc.  The event was good for the most part...80+ degrees in NC in October.   Each region (Midwest, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, etc) is run by a different group.  I'd suggest finding someone who's familiar with them and maybe went last year and get their thoughts. 

Same experience for us 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.