Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It was in Charlotte, I really dont want to say names on the board. The schedule was supposed to be Tues 9:00 - 6:00 it was 9:00 to 1:00 the second day was worse, 9;00 - 11:30 no simulated game, pitchers did not throw to batters. I felt the roster was picked before we stepped out of the car. I wish I had known I would not have spent the money.
I was also at this tryout. I agree with you 100%. It was a total waste of time and money. For my sons age group, 3 kids who were not there on the first day (when everyone was on the field) showed up on 2nd day (inside, due to weather). Turns out they were on the head coach's team. So, you know how that one works.
If you were not a pitcher or catcher (or on the coach's team) the odds were so stacked against you, it was not worth it. Son said most of the pitchers there, told him they were being scouted as pitchers only. Yet, they were told that during the games you would probably play multiple positions.
So, if you do the math, odds of making team as "just" an infielder/outfielder were very very slim.
Last edited by wedge
Also, wanted to show the break down of the roster.
16 spots
2 catchers (only 2 showed up)always need a back up
3 players from coachs team
6(?)pitchers. I was told all pitchers made team
1 or 2 returning players
That is a total of 12 or 13 spots already taken. I agree, I also believe the roster was pretty much made up before hand. If I had known that, I would not have went. Two of his friends did not make the first cut, I told their parents they were lucky they didn't go. They are both infielders/outfielders.
Last edited by wedge
My son a incoming jr. was hitting 84-86 with excellent control, did not make the cut...

Yesterday a parent that was at the Charlotte try out came up to my son and said hey I saw you at round one and round two, I know they selected you , you have mad control, and my son said, no they passed on me....

It's ok, we are going to the PG underclass tourney in Oct.... and in the long run it will not matter anyway.... I will take a incoming jr. hitting 86 with serious control , effortless delivery, over a kid throwing 90 and can't throw a strike.

We can get to 90 in no time, and keep the control, faster than 90 can learn how to pitch.
Last edited by bacdorslider
My son has played in many events including PG. I can honestly say that PG runs the best programs. He went to the Underclass Evaluation in Ft Meyers last Dec and his grade was an 8. He was also named a PG Underclass All American. He is going next month to Winston Salem to hopefully improve on that grade. PG's evaluations are honest and free of any "politics and who you know" nonsense.
Too bad about Team USA, my son batted well over 400 and had a ob% of 586 during his high school season and he also was cut.
We will stick with PG events from here on out.
Also, as a side note to all of this, my son e-mailed them to ask about his defiencies. He wanted to know what he needs to work on in order to improve. In that same e-mail he asked what his 60 yd time was. He ran a 6.87 in the first tryout, they told him right after he ran it. But for some reason at the 2nd tryout they did not tell them.
Of course he never received a response.
Last edited by wedge

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.