Skip to main content

So how does it work? If my son is interested in an out of state college that has out of state tuition of 50,000 and instate tuition is 12,500 and let's say for the purpose of example he gets 50% scholarship (25,000), is that the same as 2 full instate scholarships (2x12,500=25,000), is his scholarship counted as 2 or still only half? So I guess I'm asking if there is a preset dollar amount on an whole scholarship, and if so if it is based on instate or outstate cost?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I do not know enough about this comment to answer. but I have seen a bunch of questions on this in the past. A lot of it comes down to the school. Are they giving a dollar amount or a percentage. And a percentage of what Total cost? 

Do a search while your waiting for more informed people to answer. Good luck on the journey. If it always interesting. 

Not all schools are the same with regard to in state and out of state scholarships and how they fund them.  Best bet would be to talk to any school he is interested in (and is interested in him) and see what they do at that particular institution.  If you're talking to an RC or HC at an out of state school, they likely won't have any issue with discussing it as it comes up often with their recruits

Tampa2020 posted:

So how does it work? If my son is interested in an out of state college that has out of state tuition of 50,000 and instate tuition is 12,500 and let's say for the purpose of example he gets 50% scholarship (25,000), is that the same as 2 full instate scholarships (2x12,500=25,000), is his scholarship counted as 2 or still only half? So I guess I'm asking if there is a preset dollar amount on an whole scholarship, and if so if it is based on instate or outstate cost?

How does it work?

If someone offers your son a baseball scholarship, the equivalency is counted based on the rate that applies to him.  In your example, if both schools offered him 12,500, the in-state school would count it as 1.0 scholarship equivalents, but the out-of-state school would count it as only 25%.

Most schools have their baseball scholarship budgets expressed in dollars, not scholarship equivalencies, because every dollar discounted from a student's room/board/tuition/fees by the athletic scholarship has to find its way into the bursar's accounts somehow. Again using your example, both athletic departments have to fork over $12,500 to the finance office.

Many D1's don't have budgets that permit them to award the authorized 11.7 scholarships, even if they all went to students who qualify for in-state rates. 

Some better funded schools can give 11.7, perhaps with a few equivalencies being out-of-state.

So, yes, out-of-state students are, as a rule, more expensive for state schools to recruit.

Baseball coaches are very value conscious as they strive to use every available dollar to improve the team on the field. However, they are also resourceful. If they want a player, they often have the savvy to point the the family  to other aid sources.  When my son received a call from the pitching coach at an out-of-state school, the sales pitch included an explanation of how he could get in-state rates through the academic common market. Some of the more expensive private schools with large endowments can offer better deals through need-based aid than they can through scholarships, a circumstance often complained about by schools who have to recruit against them. 

Last edited by Swampboy

SWAMPBOY as usual is correct and has pretty much said it all.

Parents and players need to pay particular attention to what he said about 11.7

The infamous 11.7 number is thrown around WAY too much by parents and is a terrible misrepresentation of the reality of college baseball scholarships. It makes for inaccurate math and bad forecasting regarding recruiting and the cost of attendance.

Last year, the NCAA reported that of the approx 300 NCAA D1 baseball programs , Less than 50 programs were 'Fully funded '

What that means is that approx 250 schools DO NOT utilize the 11.7 scholarship allocation. The average is about 8 - 9.5 and there are many schools where it's less. Maybe 6- 7.5

If a school is talking with your son its important to ask the question : ' Are you guys fully funded?'.......Most RC's will say no.

Lastly, don't forget that all 'Need based financial aid' a kid receives from financial Aid Dept at University counts AGAINST the baseball departments NCAA budget.

*Academic money does NOT count against the baseball program's budget

Last edited by StrainedOblique

Swampboy nailed it and interesting in his referral to common market.  

My son's offer to an out of state was actual two offers from the same school.

Offer 1 was $XX and was for him being an out of state student to pursue any degree he wanted.  The offer was about 75% of the total cost to attend annually as an out of state student.

Offer 2 was 2/3 the dollar value of Offer 1 and is what he would receive if he chose a common market degree at the school. Doing so would allow him to attend at in-state rates and would be about 98% of the total cost to attend annually.

Son's choice to accept whichever of the two offers he wanted.  School is fully funded on the 11.7, so while Offer 1 would cost the AD more money, it saves them on the 11.7 count.  Offer 2 is cheaper for the AD, but takes more equivalency of their 11.7.

StrainedOblique posted:

SWAMPBOY as usual is correct and has pretty much said it all.

Parents and players need to pay particular attention to what he said about 11.7

The infamous 11.7 number is thrown around WAY too much by parents and is a terrible misrepresentation of the reality of college baseball scholarships. It makes for inaccurate math and bad forecasting regarding recruiting and the cost of attendance.

Last year, the NCAA reported that of the approx 300 NCAA D1 baseball programs , Less than 50 programs were 'Fully funded '

What that means is that approx 250 schools DO NOT utilize the 11.7 scholarship allocation. The average is about 8 - 9.5 and there are many schools where it's less. Maybe 6- 7.5

If a school is talking with your son its important to ask the question : ' Are you guys fully funded?'.......Most RC's will say no.

Lastly, don't forget that all 'Need based financial aid' a kid receives from financial Aid Dept at University counts AGAINST the baseball departments NCAA budget.

*Academic money does NOT count against the baseball program's budget

Academic money does go against the baseball team's scholarship count unless certain academic parameters are met.

Tampa2020 posted:

that's alot to process, can someone define "Common Market", how can someone out of state attend instate without residency?

It's a program by the Southern Region Educational Board under which students in certain southern states can get in state rates at state schools in other southern states when they major in something not offered by a state school in their own state. 

It's intended to create educational opportunities so that each state doesn't have to maintain its own nuclear engineering or large animal veterinary sciences program. A lot of the available programs are hard or esoteric, but ballplayers can sometimes find a way to take advantage of the opportunity.

For example, a Virginia resident could get in-state rates at Coastal Carolina by enrolling in their Middle Level Education Program; or at Mississippi State or Eastern Kentucky by majoring in Marketing; or at West Virginia by majoring in Forest Resource Management.

Each state sets its own rules for participation. If I remember right, Florida doesn't offer this to undergraduates. 

Last edited by Swampboy
Dadofa17 posted:

Is the 11.7 based on the full cost of the school or just the tuition?  For example, if tuition is $25,000 , room and board and other related costs $10,000, would one full scholarship be $25,000 or $35,000?  (And I realize no one is getting 100%, just trying to keep the math simple.)

Tuition, fees, room, board, and books. 

Tampa2020 posted:

that's alot to process, can someone define "Common Market", how can someone out of state attend instate without residency?

Swampboy explained exactly what it is perfectly.  Here's a link to the Academic Common Market website that can fill in any blanks.  

http://www.sreb.org/academic-common-market

It will also allow you to enter which state you live and what degrees qualify in other states, so you can see exactly what degrees outside of your state allow you to qualify for in-state tuition.

Note, ACM is between only the following member States:

Alabama
Arkansas
Deleware
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
Oklahoma
South Carolina