Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't help myself. Having seen every single one of these guys over the last 8 years, it is fair to say that they are all good players. That said, please note that a HUGE majority of these boys have been seen by PG. To that end, there are others who are very good that aren't even mentioned. Why? they haven't been seen, I'm betting, by PG. So, a good list, I agree but nowhere near complete.

Examples: Brett Bowers (committed to ECU), Andy Thomas are just two.

Believe me, there are more.
SWBaseball-
I have also seen Bowers and Thomas play and agree they should be on the list.

But if PG hasn't seen them, how can they rank them? Whose word/info should they take?
By the way, Bowers and Thomas are listed on PG Crosschecker, they just don't have a ranking (at this time).

By the way, Thomas has been "seen" by PG via his participation at many WWBA events.
I don't know Bowers, but Thomas definitely belongs on the list.

From what I saw at WWBA events, he may have gotten shortchanged simply because he was his team's only catcher, he covered virtually every inning in high-90's heat and humidity, and quite frankly he got wrung out. He never showed it behind the plate but I think it slowed his bat a bit. Still, he produced. I think he's underappreciated. He certainly has one of the stronger arms you'll ever see behind the plate.

Stadler is another one I don't understand. Baseball America has him #31 in the US, which is more like it. Colleges sure are treating him more like a #31 than a #267 (now 288 with latest PGX updates). Maybe he'll get re-evaluated after PG National.
I hate to make a big deal out of this stuff, but…

1 – We have time to get these players right, this is the first of many many updated rankings in that class. We really don’t expect those rankings to stay just as they are.

2 – While it is not mandatory to attend a PG event, it is important that we see these players somewhere! And it’s very important that we at least know who they are.

3 – This is printed on every page at the pgcrosschecker site…
Copyright 2006 by PGCrossChecker.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this information may be reprinted or reproduced without the written consent of Perfect Game

4 - #3 makes me wonder why I’m here talking about this.

While I’m at it… I went to another site run by rivals and noticed someone had copied and pasted our complete rankings, 09, 08 and 07 complete with notes on each player. When I clicked on the link, I got a message that I needed to be a paid subscriber to see that information.

Well, I did subscribe and got to see our own rankings. It’s actually kind of hilarious if you stop and think about it.

Note: If people want to give us information about a player, it’s always welcome. Our goal is to be as accurate as possible.

Please do compare us to other rankings, the others have several players listed that aren’t even prospects or even the right class. The same list Midlodad mentioned has a 07 player who played in our leagues and we know him very well. He throws low 80s and has not been recruited by anyone. He is ranked high in the top 100 for the “2008” class. I beg anyone to compare completely and keep track of all lists and scouting sites. We do not rely on second hand information. Tell us if you think we are wrong about a player… our network is large enough to sort out things in a hurry. If you want to mention a top player, here’s the email – staff@perfectgame.org

No hard feelings and I enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts.
PG, I take no offense. I think you guys do a good job so I'm not bashing. All I'm trying to get at is there are players that are very good that are not on this list. How they do, or don't get there can be debated but obviously there are kids missed.

That said, I agree with Midlo, the best pure hitter in VA is Stadler. I'd rank him in the Top 10 in the Nation and I've seen Vitters (07), Melville (07) and many others.
PG-
Just want to say that I wished you (Perfect Game) would make a bigger deal about individuals who take your rankings and lists that are available only on a paid subscriber basis and cut and paste them on "FREE" Message boards.

I am a big believer in intellectual property. My son has attended PG events. I realize how much time and effort you and your staff put onto running the showcases. AND how much thought goes into the ratings/rankings. I am assuming that's why detailed reports and rankings are considered premium content and require a subscriber fee.

BTW,,,,,,why don't you make a bigger deal out of people like baseballdad1 and I think it's jh6(something) on another message board???????
Last edited by jbbaseball
SWBaseball,

It’s great that you would rank someone among the top 10 hitters in the country and you may very well be correct. We do have some very good hitting notes on that young man and he also threw mid 80s as a LHP the last time we saw him. I only wish you would let us know rather than advertise it here.

Listen, I’m sure we have missed some kids who have yet to play their junior year of high school and not just in Virginia. I’m guessing we will not miss so many by next year at this time. BTW, the kid in question is someone we’ve seen play about 30 games. He’s played in 6 of our events. He’s a very good hitter with a polished approach. I’ll agree we may have him ranked too low, which probably would have straightened itself out. It would just be nice to talk to a subscriber about it rather than someone who read the illegally copied version on a message board.

Jbbaseball,

Thanks, I was wondering if everyone thought that it was just fine. Lots of talk about missing players and not one mention about the list being copied here and on the other site. Every day, we seem to get a report about someone claiming they work for us, or someone using our name, or claiming to be affiliated, or someone copying our subscriber based stuff and publishing it. We really don’t have the time to fight it all. That’s all we would be doing in that case. We simply tell our attorney and move on.

Did everyone miss this????

I had to subscribe (pay) at another site in order to view our own copyrighted information. And now I’m listening to people complain that we missed some players! For Christ Sake… Think about that!!!!

And Still! No hard feelings here! And we will always miss on a few players.
I wanted to let you guys know that there was no malicious intent involved with me posting this information. I am fairly new to this site and saw that everyone was very helpful in providing information about whatever topic was posted. I saw the lists on a free message board on another site so I thought that this information was good to go, not even thinking about copyright issues. I posted this list as well as a list on the Texas forum. I received a PM from someone letting me know that this information was for paid subscribers and should not be posted on the website. By that time, the moderator deleted the information from the Texas Forum. I just figured out how to edit a post so now the list on this forum has been deleted.

This website is great and have received very helpful information from Midlo Dad, PGStaff, and even JBBaseball. I sent a PM to PGStaff extending my apologies. My son has attended a Perfect Game event and had nothing but good things to say. They are a great organization and their efforts at providing this service is priceless. It was not my intent to cause these problems and with that said, I won't be posting anything like this again.

Thanks,
Baseballdad1
baseballdad1,

Thanks for the PM. I greatly appreciate it.

I am now a "baseballdad1" fan! Absolutely no hard feelings now.

Note: I really wish those who wish to help young players with exceptional talent would let us know their thoughts. We don't play politics and want to be as accurate as possible. Why not help rather than complain! We have ways of checking any player in the USA out. Thanks

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.