Skip to main content

i dont see how your arm will get faster without some sort of load or resistance. I mean if you've never thrown hard before you will gain natural arm strength just like if you've never jumped before you will start to jump higher. I just don't understand why you can improve the explosiveness of other muscles in your body through plyometrics and resistance, but you can't with your arm? why are those muscles different?
While many things Lincecum does are worth emulating, most pitchers will get in trouble if they try to "be like Tim". Lincecum has an incredibly long stride which is good for him because he also has the flexibility to get his hips around despite the long stride. Many pitchers would lock up their hips with such a long stride. Long strides tend to be good for velocity but there's a limit for each pitcher.

Delaying his arm so long adds both deception and velocity to his pitches. Although many pitchers could benefit from delaying the arm to a degree, very few if any have the fast twitch fibers to delay it as long as Lincecum does and would potentially put their arm at risk and throw their timing off if they were to delay as long as Lincecum does.
Last edited by CADad
I am curious where Mdon is right now....he posted this in August. What have you done and where are you now as far as improvements?

As far as Nhball's questions, explosive, core workouts improve the body’s capability to throw harder, LT improves arm speed, bands/similar workouts improve shoulder stability and stamina.

The other key issue is mechanics and from what I have seen with my son is that there are tremendous gains in velocity with getting mechanics in order from proper glove side positioning, and core/body loading around footstrike (which Lincecome does better than anyone).

You can also get into over/under load training (ie weighted/underweighted balls), but I think the core and mechanics issues need to be addressed as well as a LT program to develop "arm strength" (which is really a misnomer) first.
BOF,

Quick update on my situation:

I've been working on core exercises and band training 3 days/week.

For the last 5 weeks I've been working with a Pitching Coach. To this point, we've concentrated almost solely on mechanics. Based on correcting my mechanics alone he see's opportunity to increase velocity considerably. We've done some video analysis and I'm now incorporating the changes into my delivery. We're working on lengthening my stride to approximate my height and focusing on keeping everything in alignment towards the plate.

I'm very encouraged how things are progressing and hope to post updates periodically.
Just a quick update on my velocity progress.

In August, my velocity was 73-75. Continuing to work on core training and long toss program, my velocity increased slightly to 76 on October 24.

Since early November, I've been working with a Pitching coach. We've worked primarily on my mechanics in conjunction with core training, band exercises and bullpens. On December 15th, my velocity reached 80. I think it's important to note that the velocity increase I've achieved so far has a great deal to do with correcting my mechanics. While strengthening and conditioning play a major role in increasing velocity you can't overlook proper mechanics.

My goal was to reach 80 by the start of my HS Junior season so things are going as planned. I'll continue working hard the next few months until the start of the season and post updates periodically.
BOF and Bum,

I know it's been a long time since I started the thread but I wanted to fill you in on my progress since you both offered suggestions and showed interest in my progress.

I just completed my senior season finishing with an 8-2 record and will start summer ball shortly. I'm now 6'5" and currently sit at 82-83. Entering my junior season I was 73-75.

For those who have wondered if they are capable of increasing velocity to transition to college baseball, I wanted to share my experience. I will be attending one of the D3 schools who recruited me and can't wait to get started this fall.

This board has been invaluable in the process and I hope to give back by sharing my experiences in the future.
Yeah, and lots and lots of advertisements for spending $97. The only ads from back a couple years ago were from 3p and they shouldn't have been there. The rest were people making their suggestions with no profit motive.

Please contact Mn-Mom if you want to advertise. I'm sure she'll be happy to accept your money.
MN-Mom I read the rules and I am a little confused why my comments are being deleted on this board. Can you help me understand why I am being censored here? The only rule that seems to be the issue is this one:

No Spam or posts containing Advertising are allowed without the express permission of the publishers of the Message Boards (Ask the Board Admin for information).

I am assuming you are the Board Admin so could you give me some information? The only problem it looks like I am running into is the definition of advertising. I looked it up on Google and this is what it says. The definition of advertising is the activity or profession of producing advertisements for commercial products or services. The YouTube video I posted here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJOM_TOkCoc is not advertising. It is a FREE video that I put together to teach pitchers the 3X approach to pitching. If you could watch it for me you would totally understand that I am not in violation of your rules and regulations. It would actually be great if we could have a discussion about the video. Is this possible on the board?

If this website is not about discussion and more about politics then I can drop a few names to gain some credibility. I will just throw this out there just in case. I was teammates and friends with Jose Canseco, Ben Sheets, Blake Stein, Dan Miceli, and Jim "The Rookie" Morris to name some fairly well know MLB veterans. I don't think they would want to waste their time posting in my defense on this board but maybe this will convince you to let me share my knowledge and content on this website. If you totally do not believe me, which could be the case, here is my phone number, please give me a call and I would be glad to discuss what the real issue is here. 985-377-9249
Last edited by TopVelocity.net
TopVelocity,

Yes, I am the main administrator for the forums, and the owner of the site.

Your posts appeared to be promoting a website and/or products or services, so a moderator called them to my attention. The key factor is not whether you are charging for the items to which you were linking, but whether it feels like you are "selling" something - even if that "selling" is not a tangible sale of products or services. Basically we would ask that you avoid doing that.

Thanks,

Julie
Paul N y m a n: Rotational throwing for Numbies is a
very good source. Unfortunately, S E T P R O customer service is really terrible now (I think he's starting to do other stuff with his time).

He knows what he's talking about with pitching. The Inverted W he talks about is not an absolute, but you do see it with most good pitchers (though not with the elbows above the shoulders)
Last edited by Low Finish
quote:
Originally posted by TopVelocity.net:
Low Finish, the problem with rotational throwing is that if you look at pitching as opposed to hitting, rotational forces are more a product of forward movement. This is why I found triple extension of the drive leg to be a better approach to pitching velocity.

I agree with this. I see what you describe in a lot of hard throwing guys. However, it's obvious that no pitcher with decent velocity throws with the linear leg action that some guys talk about. I think that both N y m a n and yourself recognize that 80% of velocity comes from rotational forces.

If these forces can be increased by the "triple extension" system (without increased injury risk), I'm all for it!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.