Skip to main content

This is NOT a joke...

A bill has been presented to the VA legislation, that if passed would make it illegal to play ANY outdoor sport on any athletic field between the hours of 6:00 pm - 8:00 am Monday thru Saturdays and no games on Sundays at all if any house is within 65 yards of the field. If there are houses within 65 yards, the ENTIRE neighborhood must agree to allow games, one house not agreeing and games are gone.

This would be a STATEWIDE law to include pro fields, college fields, HS fields and local league fields.

Please review the bill, pass this info around to any and all your outdoor sports friends (Football, s****r, lacrosse, track and field, tennis, everything and any sport played outside) and have them spread the word and write their congressman on how they feel about this.

Just another way to get kids off the fields and on the streets, hanging out on the corners....Unbelievable. pull_hair

Here is the legislative link

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?061+sum+hb1368
_______________ "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole." "JustMom"
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well......I sent Mr. Hull an email too.....he probably doesn't think he needs to worry about an opinion from California....but I still feel better telling him exactly what I thought of this piece of proposed stupidity!

Besides we will probably retire to VA....in the next couple of years.....gotta see son play some college baseball!

tiger1a GO HSC Tigers!
Last edited by LadyNmom
I emailed my delagate, David Poisson. He responded less that 12 hours later. Stating that he had a 14 year old daughter playing sports, along with the fact that the needs of an entire community outweighed those homeowners who might be looking for more quiet, he assured me in no uncertain terms that he would vote NO on this bill IF it ever made it to the house floor.
Here is a link to an article in Today's Washington Post page 1 ! I'm also putting part of the article below (I think you have to "register" to read the Washington Post links. I guess all you have to do is ask rep Hull to submit legislation for you and he will. What an idiot!

Bill to Quiet Ballfields Creates an Uproar

...the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors condemned the bill and its sponsor as politically tin-eared, insensitive and just plain dumb.

"I'm glad to see that most members of the General Assembly are still in touch with their constituents," an exasperated Fairfax Supervisor Michael R. Frey (R-Sully) said at yesterday's meeting of the board, which voted unanimously to oppose Hull's bill.

...Hull's aides said they have received at least 1,000 e-mails opposing the bill as a threat to the very existence of youth sports, with a few from homeowners associations in support. "They've been nasty," aide Jackie Dilley said yesterday. But despite the tumult, the low-profile seven-term delegate from the Falls Church area isn't backing down -- even though he said he doesn't support his own bill.

"My bill was introduced because a gentlemen came up to me with a problem," Hull said before the 100-member chamber

Dilley, in between answering phones, said she could not identify the person who proposed the bill because her boss told her not to give out his number. "The sports groups are so vindictive. I can't,"
Here's an idea since Delegate Hull will introduce legislation that anyone suggests to him, lets compile a list of our idea's!!!! I'll collect them and e-mail him.

Here's a start
1- Propose legislation that fines a delegate $5000.00 when he sponser a bill that receives less than 5 yes votes.

2- Propose legislation that if you do not respond to e-mails, phone calls as a delegate you are impeached, and must work at athletic fields in your district as a volunteer (only on nights and weekends)!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.