Skip to main content

Madison was downright destructive.....Mclean didn't play poorly (no errors), but their pitching was bp for Madison.  Nielsen cruised through 5, 2 hits and 1 bb, 1 run on 58 pitches.  Looked smooth and easy.    Madison had 19 hits, 11 from 9 different players for extra bases, including Goldsmith grand slam.  19-4 final, and it could have been much worse.   In the late game South Lakes blew a 7-1 3rd inning lead with walks and hit batters, letting Langley back in the game, and Langley took advantage, ultimately winning 11-7.  Osburn shut South Lakes down with good junk.    

JMU_2016 posted:

Madison beats Lake Braddock 6-0. Danie Gerke with a solo homer in the first and Sophomore Matt Howat threw a one hitter.

I was at the game from start to finish down the 3rd baseline. Madison played very well and their starting pitcher dropped in first-pitch strike after strike, and when LB hit it hard (not very often) it was right at a player. Madison hit well per usual. But as for Gerke's HR, and my son played travel ball with him, that was easily the biggest wind-assist HR I have ever witnessed in person!

You need some luck sometimes....and it sure looks like mother nature and the lighting delays helped Madison out last night.  Nielsen can come back tonight to pitch, and after 23 pretty low stress pitches through 2.1 I'd expect he will.  But Lamon is done AND Patriot/West Springfield is tied in the 7th with Price and Williams done, and a real possibility that they will both burn their #2s also tonight.  If Madison wins tonight they could go into regional final against Patriot/WestSpringfield with Howat & Kopka vs. a #3.  Gotta like the odds there.

Beating Oakton tonight is no gimme--Toma and Richards can both deal, but I don't think either is pitching as well as Lamon right now.  Too bad about the rain-Lamon was throwing a no hitter through 3, and Nielsen had given up just 1 hit.  It was shaping up to be a great duel, although Madison's grinding at the plate was likely to force Oakton to the bullpen early even without the weather.  (already 64 pitches through 3 on Owen)   Good luck to both today.    

I'm surprised given the clearly/consistently bad forecast that both games were not simply moved up an hour or two.

Madison as a team always seems to take a lot of pitches with a clear purpose to burn through the starting pitcher. I do not state this in a bad way; it's a very sound strategy and serves them well.

Last edited by Batty67

I stand corrected on Nielsen's availabiltiy, thank you rollapairjr.  That evens things up for Oakton and the Patriot/WS winner a good deal.  

To be clear, I don't think Madison was taking to draw walks, except maybe Counts to lead off the game--but that is his job in that situation and he did it really well.  Got on, turned a DP into 2 on-nobody out with a running back move on groundball to 2nd, and had a great dirtball read against a D1 bound catcher to make it 2nd and 3rd with nobody out instead of 2 outs nobody on.  Madison battled at the plate, took 26 swings to Oakton's 9.    Yes, Counts started the game with a 5 pitch walk, but the next batter got 4 strikes, next 4 strikes.  In the 2nd, Freck had a 9 pitch K and Nielsen a 7 pitch walk.  In the third Counts a 6 pitch K and Novak a 7 pitch 1-2 flyout.   Those last 4 ABs alone are 6 more pitches than the entire  Oakton team saw last night in their 7 plate apprearances-they made the pitcher  WORK.  Tough, quality ABs against a quality pitcher.  Impressive to watch, and just as impressive to watch Lamon bow up and win each inning.        

I believe that rule interpretation means the pitcher, if he goes over 51, would have to rest the required number of days where he ends up at the end of his outing. He can throw as many as he is able, but they may want to limit and throw him Friday. Since 51 is over two days, you only have to rest one day and not 2 (as if you threw that many in one game).    

*If a pitcher throws 51-75 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest must be observed.

*If a pitcher throws 26-50 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar day of rest must be observed. 

*If a pitcher throws 1-25 pitches in a day no calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.

No pitcher may throw more than 51 pitches over two consecutive days. If a pitcher throws 51 pitches over two consecutive days, one calendar day of rest must be observed.

Late back and forth affair between Oakton and Madison, with OHS taking it 3-2 on a walk off. Nielsen was able to pitch most of the game, and Howat came into a tough situation that ultimately led to Rippey's walk off sac fly. Seth Richards was pinged by Novak and Goldsmith's back 2 back dingers in the top of the 6th, but held steady over 4 innings for the W.

With Madison joining next year, District 5 will be the most competitive district in the Commonwealth if not the DMV.

WS loses in 8 to Patriot. WS first three batters in the bottom of 7 were completely unprepared to attack the baseball, two batters strike out looking and watched other meatballs, the other a very weak swing ground out to 2b. WS flat and unprepared. Patriot lead off walk (controversy over non called strikes from the WS perspective). Bunt,3b fielding and throwing error, runners now on first and third.  One run scored and that was all they needed.  Patriot came out energized and it showed.  Disappointed in WS - again - way too much talent not being used correctly.  Watching pitches, clearly strikes, blaming the Umpires, and then complaining about the called balls and strikes. Coaches throwing baseballs at the umpire after the loss  - good grief.

Oakton coaches should be recognized for their perfect handling of some serious gamesmanship by the Madison coaching staff.  Presented with a situation where many coaches would have been up in arms, exhibiting the worst kind of example for the players, the Oakton head coach's response was measured, confident, and professional.  His confidence undoubtedly played a role in how the Oakton players responded on the field to get the W.  You can see how he gets everything out of his players.  Leadership clinic.      

Coach ejected after the game (not sure how the rules work on this), scream fest, baseballs, & umpire blaming.  The baseballs were not thrown like you were trying to bean them, but a handful of baseballs somehow went from hand to and at the umpires walking off the field.  Some of fans in the stands should also be ashamed of their behavior.  They were still yelling at the umpires in the parking lot - some pride themselves on giving the umpire a hard time when calls do not go their way.  3 of the last 6 batters, game staring you in the face, someone throws you a  mediocre belt high fastball in a 1-2 count, you swing (or you can watch the called strike and blame the umpire). 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.