Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I’ll try to catch the show. I’m kind of curious at to why all these famous athletes gravitated towards this person and invited some of their famous athlete friends to do the same. It must be his charming personality since most still are adamant it wasn’t for the steroids this guy has been shown to have distributed.
I think that the government does the same as with any other drug pusher, they punish him and the "addict", walks away with immunity. It is all about supply and demand. If no one was buying the product, he wouldn't be selling it. Just like any other drug out there. But I think when the "S" hits the fan, everyone tries to save their own skin.
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
This could be a marketing ploy. I can see the advertizment during his interveiw.

quote:
_You know how you used sand kicked in your face at the beach, or, how your teammates teased you about "warning track power". Well, my name is Vicor Conte and have I got a deal for you_

Or
Such a deal I got for you, half the work, twice the power!
Of course he is looking to save his own skin. As is Bonds with his 'I didn't know' statement! They both knew EXACTLY what they were doing, neither should be let off the hook. At some point, doesn't everyone have to take responsibility for their own actions. Some athletes have proven themselves to be role-models, while others have proven themselves to be case studies in character flaws.
tater
TR,
What would you deem as a hard fact?
And what would you be willing to accept as probable cause? Wink
Although none of these individually might convince a person, physical manifestations, performance differences and the hearsay of seveal different sources all make for a reasonable conclusion.
You don't own his 73rd homerun ball do you? laugh
Rollerman
TR - steroid use by athletes is against the law!! I have seen for a couple of days your defense of Bonds. Is your support of Sheffield or Giambi just as strong even though they admitted their use? As someone who seems to love the game and its history, I am surprised that you would defend someone that has the potential to give the sport we love such a "black eye." While we all believe that in America you are innocent until proven guilty, do you really believe that in his late 30's, that Barry Bonds increased his size and strength to proportions never seen in the history of the game? Also, Bonds has always been one of the most talented hitters in the game, so the fact that steroid use does not help someone hit the ball, it does help extremely talented hitters hit it harder and farther. Thus making a career 30+ homerun hitter throughout career now a monster hitting 50+ homeruns a year. Most of the guilty never admit guilt, but are convicted nevertheless. It takes a real leap of faith to believe that BB has defied all the laws of nature and grew bigger and stronger in his late 30's than he was in his late 20's. One last thing, the guys head was actually growing over his ears - that is just not normal! I respect your views and you are certainly allowed to disagree with my opinion - just as I disagree with yours.
scbaseball and others

All I say is that the man has not, to date, been proven guilty of anything, legal or illegal

Do I approve of steroids? A very loud NO!!!
Do I approve of supplements? Under the proper supervision !!!

Do I believe any of these athletes are guilty ?--I have no idea--we can all think what we want but right now they are innocent in my eyes

Some food for thought regarding performance:

Maris hit 61 HRs to break the Ruth record-- the year before he hit 39 and the year after 33 and in a career from 1957 to 1968 was not a great HR hitter, and his hair fell out during the strech run of the 61 homers-- not surmising anything--just putting facts on the table--and he also had 5 other guys hit 20 or more home runs in his line up during the 61 home run year

Brady Anderson--remember he of the 50 HRs in 579 AB's for the Orioles in 1996--his next best in his career was 24 in 564 ABs

Why was Ruth so awesome in his heyday??? the numbers were unparalled , even today.

I have no answer to any of the three above items but one can say they did sonething the others didnt as in CAREER YEAR

I also bet you that we can all go back thru the records and find a multitude of CAREER YEARS for what were average players

I am not arguing did they or didnt they! What I am asking is very simple--- WHY DID IT HAPPEN FOR ONE YEAR FOR ALL THE OTHERS? AND NEVER AGAIN even for Roger Maris.

Think about it !!! You are convicting a man on somewhat the same premise.

Great discussion and it opens ones mind doesnt it !!!!

I may even come back with more examples from the past baseball history--it is amazing what numbers can show-- and you make them do a lot of tricks to make a point positive or negative

Also keep in the mind that in recent years the many means of improving the body thru diet and exercise have become prevalent.And they are all legal !!!

But then we also have many people addicted to diet pills which are legal !!

Hey I am 62 and in the past 14 months or so I have taken off 50 pounds just by watching what I ate and drank and remaining active--- what does that tell you __things can happen @!@!@

Great debate which may never end !!!!
It is interesting to watch Classic Baseball on ESPN and to look at the metamorphous - change - in body types in the game. Comparing the players of today to even as recent as the late 80's or early 90's, today they look more like FB players. I don't believe the only explaination for this change is steroids but rather the development of year around weight lifting and athletes lifting from their middle schools years.
TR,

At ages 36, 37, 38, and 39 Bonds was the League MVP and deservedly so, based on his stats. Some would argue that each of those years he has actually had better numbers overall. So while the 73 HRs stands out as a career number, Bonds has hardly been a one "stickout" year guy. The odd thing is... his best 4 years of his career as a hitter, have been the last 4, all after the age of 36.

I'm not saying the man should be convicted for having these great years at such an old baseball age, but it does make you wonder just a little bit... Doesn't it? Especially in light of the many cases of steroid useage coming out in the open over the past couple years involving other MVP award winners.

Roger Maris was age 33 his last year in the Major Leagues. He was age 26 when he hit 61.

Brady Anderson followed a 16 HR year with 50 at age 33. I remember there was a lot of suspicion of drug usage at the time. However, if I remember correctly (which is highly unlikely) the supplements he was using were legal at the time. So was the Andro considered legal that Big Mac used during his record breaking year.

I do agree with you, that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. If the steroid use is true, I hope they can prove it. However, in this particular case, I hope Bonds can prove somehow that he did not use illegal steroids.

In a way, no matter what ends up happening, I'm kind of glad that this is getting so much attention. It could end up being a very positive educational experience for a lot of young players.

To me it's not a Barry Bonds thing at all. I could care less if his records stay or get thrown out. The truth is his records will never be forgotten. Whether Bonds is guilty or not guilty, it's about time somthing was done about this very serious problem.

Maybe it takes a player of Barry Bonds stature to wake everyone up. In the end, as unfortunate as it sounds, this might be Bond's biggest and by far most important contribution to the game.
O.J. Simpson insists that he's innocent.
Scott Peterson insists that he's innocent.
Pete Rose insisted that he was innocent.
Barry insists that he's innocent.
Bin Laden would want you to think that he's just a misunderstood guy.
Yada, yada, yada. How many guilty people readily 'fess up to their wrongdoings?

Bonds says that he wouldn't contaminate his "temple" with drugs, yet he tells a Grand Jury that he used the "clear" and the "cream" without knowing what it was. Rrrrrrright.

Anyone that supports Bonds needs to get their head out of the sand. Weightlifting and his conditioning program made him strong when he was younger. Look at old pictures... he was noticeably smaller, but was still muscular.

Weightlifting alone won't account for his growth explosion he's had the last few years. And, weightlifting doesn't make your head swell to the size of the great pumpkin.

Some of you insist that he's innocent until proven guilty. I think that he doesn't pass the smell test. toilet

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.