Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by 3xy4me:
He actually only pitched 4. Lohr pitched 5 & 6 and Kaufmann pitched the 7th. The box scores don't always get reported correctly.
Conner will need to make adjustments if he is going to be used in the starter roll more often. Control is not what it needs to be for the long haul, too many walks and got deep in the count on alot of batters. JMO but I think all this talk over his MPH has got him thinking he has to go up there and throw the ball as hard as he can. Hopefully he will make the necessary adjustments and provide Bird with a much needed arm.

Throwing four sounds better to me, and I definitely agree the info you get from the paper should be taken with a grain of salt.

Regarding his MPH and any necessary adjustments... In general I wouldn't want a kid to back off his velocity to gain a little control. It's better to teach him to harness his best stuff (after all, it's his stuff which makes him elite). I think he's hooked up with some good coaches and he's going to be ok.
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes
It was not a showcase event, but a district game that they needed to win and against a team that hasn't won a game yet. 6 or 7 walks can bite you in the butt if you are not careful. They got out of it with a win nonetheless.
I think the Cardinals will be a great thing for Conner. The chance for him to work with Rich Graham can only improve his pitching and make him a great prospect.
I don't think anyone here was inferring that Conner is not "all that". Most would agree that he has a very bright future ahead of him. His arm will definitely take him places.
When a player's role changes, in this case from closer to starter, I would think there would be some adjustments. Maybe not. Don't claim to be an expert on that subject.
Next year Bird will have to rely heavily on Conner to pitch a lot of innings if they want to win games. I'm sure he will be successful in whatever role they choose to use him. Hopefully they will find the defense and bats to back him up.
I'm of the same opinion as Redbird. The Braves aren't the best available test for the "new kids on the block". The matchup I'd like to see is the Cardinals against the Canes.

Jeff Petty will let them know pretty quickly if they are for real.

As for the Conner kid - Apparently the new coach has done a good job of not abusing this years big arm (Kaufman) so it looks promising for his future when he is the go-to-guy in the future. But who knows.
Did not know that the Braves lost Costen & White. Where are they playing now? The 17U Braves were not one of the strongest Braves teams anyway and with them gone, they will have a tougher time of it. So Canes looks like the best competition around for the Cardinals. Let us know if they will play each other at some point this spring/summer. Should be some good baseball.
We feel good about our team but we're still the new kids in town. The Canes and Braves have a track record of excellence. I'll be happy if we're mentioned in the same breath when summer's over.

We are scheduled for a couple of Dynamic (Canes) sponsored weekend events, but it's not assured that we'll go head to head. When you get to East Cobb, with 170+ teams there it's unlikely you'll meet up.

Personally I just like to see our VA kids make good, so whoever gets them there is all right by me.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Don't be mistaken, Eddie Jones' team will still be pretty darn good. If I remember correctly, many of the Cardinal kids have played for him in the past.

I'm sure Jeff Petty would schedule you if you request it. I know my 16U team always wants to play the best teams available. We play up in every tourney but the WWB.

Costen and White are playing with the Diamond Devils.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
I'm sorry, I don't know who Eddie Jones is, but I don't know that more than 2 of our guys have ever been on the same travel team at the same time at any time in the past. At least not in the last 2 years.

I've read this post a dozen times and I still don't know what it means. Are you saying that the kids on your team have never played with one another? And are you saying that you are cautious about your team's chances as a result of the unfamiliarity?
Just to update, the Cardinals are off to a solid start.

On June 6, we held a doubleheader of scrimmages with the Mid-Atlantic Mustangs at UR's Pitt Field. Thanks to Steve for working with us as both teams got their uniforms for the first time and worked out some kinks.

This past weekend marked our first foray into a tournament weekend, at the Canes/Dynamic metal bat event up at and around JMU. We greatly enjoyed this very well organized and fun event and thank Jeff, Redbird & Co. for the opportunity. Lots of VA college scouts were in attendance, so it was a very good weekend for all who brought teams up there.

We do feel fortunate to be 5-0-1 at this point in the summer. We're back on the field at the D1Draftable event this coming weekend and we look forward to continuing to get our guys some great exposure.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Congratulations to these Cardinals who won All State honors in their respective divisions:

Josh Gardiner, Eastern View, AA first team (2011 grad)

Gary LeClair, Steward School, VIS Div. II first team (2011 grad)

Colton Konvicka, Benedictine, VIS Div. I second team (2012 grad)

Collin Lawless, James River, AAA honorable mention (2012 grad)
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Cardinals schedule for fall:

Sept. 11-12 at D1Draftable tourney at Longwood, Lynchburg, etc.

Sept. 18-19 at Dynamic tourney at University of Maryland

Sept. 25-26 at Dynamic tourney at East Carolina

Oct. 2-3 at Dynamic tourney at USA Baseball complex in Cary, NC

Oct. 9-10 at D1Draftable tourney at VMI

After that we will shut it down to permit players to take visits, attend camps, etc. Some will also be heading to Jupiter, FL for Perfect Game's big show.
When the smoke clears, the Cardinals will be scheduling a tryout in November to constitute the bulk of our roster for next summer. We will also continue to scout for players during spring HS season, but we anticipate recruiting nearly all of our players via the November event. We will be looking for Division I caliber 2012's and also for the very best 2013's. Watch here for specifics as the fall progresses.

One question that has come up is, will we be financially sponsored (and therefore free to players making the roster) again in 2011?

The answer is, YES. Our sponsorship is in place and will remain in place. We expect, as this year, to have no player fees, and to provide hotel rooms and transportation for all events. Players are responsible for their own gear and for their own meals, and that's it!
Midlo congrats! I love the fact you have a sponsor and this can take the financial burden off of these parents. College is expensive as we all know regardless of the scholley amount given to a player. I think that this is simply awesome that you are doing what you are doing and I hope you have tremendous success with this. Good luck

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.