Skip to main content

What's the difference between the two? My son just finished his soph. year as a JUCO pitcher.
He had a great year, but didn't start getting interest until late in the season.

A top 20 D1 is interested, but doesn't have any money left. He was told that they would like to have him walk on, but that they could give him no assistance in getting grants, loans, etc., because he wasn't technically part of the team. He also couldn't begin fall practice with the rest of the team, he'd have to wait until the other walk ons tryout.

Is this the way it normally works? I've heard of preferred walk ons, do they do it the same way?

This is a program that he's been interested in for years. He wants some advice, and I don't know how this normally works.

Any help?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I might add that once a player becomes a member of the team all previous labels are ignored for the most part. A player’s talent, work ethic, and dedication come to the surface and players are judged by the contribution they are making to the team. I have seen true walk-ons make the grade and become starters and I have seen scholarship players cut from the squad. The W-L record of a team is based on production, not on labels. While walk-ons can become everyday players the odds are not in his favor. As Starzz says, it is a risk.
Fungo
Now is the time for you to be asking some frank questions. One - ask the coach point blank how many kids attended walk-on try outs last year, and how many made the team.

Ask him about the kids who did NOT make it. Find out where they went to play, what their talent level was or whatever else you might think of.

I am sure there are others who might have some additional questions you need to ask. The more information you have, the easier it will be to make an informed decision.

There are players who chose to walk-on and who have great results, you may very well be one of them.

Good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.