Skip to main content

My son is a 2014 HS grad and is making some good progress. There have been some cases where the head coach or the recruiter has said, "we have not even started on 2014s yet." While I know that some schools progress at very different rates, is this a common way to put a player on the back burner? Based on some of the strong interest he has received from various level D1 schools, it seems inconsistent. Do some schools follow a more pragmatic and grad year based process? Does it have to do with team needs? I assume that if a particular team needs a particular type of player, they would jump on him. Mine is not a pitcher.

I hope this makes sense...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Having a 2014 myself I know 2014s that have been given offers and some committed. Although they have all been pitchers, I did see one SS/CF kid obtain and accept offer at High D1 Camp this weekend. I -- and I assume you as well -- have heard coaches say things like "we are very interested" or "we are following his progress," but as you know from this board none of that means anything until offer made. Until then it is just talk. Select coach says that position guys don't really get attention until next Spring, but can't just sit around waiting for that possibility. I told my son we need to broaden his options in case top options don't come thru. Would love to see what others say on this subject.
Last edited by Aleebaba
I think your questions are on a lot of folks minds right now based on recent questions on here. I also think there are a variety of approaches out there, school by school.

My younger son's school is one that has been recruiting pretty early. But I also know they're still evaluating 2014s...I believe they have some commitments, but they are not finished either.

He was a 2011 and his recruitment began in late Fall of 2009. He had his first offer in early 2010 (January I think?) and committed in early March 2010. He was not the first to commit to his school, and an RHP that ended up being a 1st round pick in 2011 committed after him. I tell you this only to give you some time frames to think about.

Of the schools that recruited him (all D1s), some offered early (time frame above), some asked us to wait for the summer of 2010...others said they wouldn't even begin until summer of 2010. One got PO'd when he didn't wait until the summer, but he wasn't gonna choose them anyways.

These were the time frames a few years ago. Things have probably changed a little, but not a ton. The absolutely elite players will get offers earlier...but while you hear a lot of chatter about them, try not to get distracted. The "prize" is not to be the first to commit, but to be the one who makes the best choice for himself. That might come very early...or very late.

Please make sure the goal isn't to just get offers, but to get the one that fits your son the best...whenever that may be.
Last edited by justbaseball
Justbaseball nailed it. "The "prize" is not to be the first to commit, but to be the one who makes the best choice for himself. That might come very early...or very late.

Please make sure the goal isn't to just get offers, but to get the one that fits your son the best...whenever that may be."

There is a similar topic going about 2014s a few days ago. I was wondering if early recruitment was a regional/state thing so I did a little research on the Perfect Game website. This is what I posted on that thread:

"Although there is an accuracy disclaimer on their website, Perfect Game lists 2014s that have verbally committed. Just a random check: Virginia has 8 and NC has 10 so far (not all pitchers). You can check your state if you log into the PG website. ...I just found this tidbit of info on the PG site tonight. You can search by state or by school. Cool.

I think everyone will agree that the recruiting timeline is becoming earlier for some, but I wonder if east coast schools are "more ahead", of let's say, midwest schools? Something for me to go research....
Well, this is interesting:

Number of 2014 commits per state per PG website (just checked a few states):

FL 28
CA 13
SC 11
NC 10
VA 8
GA 8
TX 2
IA 2
TN 2
IL 2
PA 0
OK 0
KS 0
KY 0
AL 0

There could be more commits that PG does not have information for.

Also, the Virginia board reports that 2 2015s have verbally committed."

What this indicates mostly is that if U of Miami is your top choice, you may need to expand your choices!
Last edited by keewart
quote:
Thanks JB for insights, but when do you start to think you son is setting sights to high?

For a 2014, not yet.

In some ways its kinda like asking the prettiest girl out on a date in HS. Does she ignore you or show interest? How much interest? Are you willing to be their 'last commit' because that school is your dream? Be open enough to see the signs.

But beware that each school and each staff is unique. If the 'dream' is for Stanford, for example, they are most likely far from being finished with their 2014s. That is just an example...every school is a little different.
We have certainly spread a wide net with our schools. They include state and private and in-state and out-state and big D1 and mid-majors. We have 2 offers from mid-majors, so great options that have told us to take our time. There is one that has not offered that is particularly attractive, but particularly expensive.

Thanks all for the great advice.
While more and more programs are starting their recruiting earlier and earlier, not everyone is on that bandwagon yet. So if someone tells you they haven't begun to recruit for 2014 yet, it's OK to take them at their word for now at least.

As to when it's time to say your sights are set too high, that time is when you get a candid evaluation from someone whose judgment you trust. It's not something you do based on your own hopes and dreams, nor based on those of your son.

Lots of 2014's who will play at the highest levels are nowhere near committed yet, so the mere fact that your son has no offers yet is not any indication one way or the other of what the future may hold.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
BTW Keewart I don't know who all is on the PG list, but our Va. Cardinals team alone has 5 committed 2014's already as it is. There are more than 8. There's a separate thread in the VA forum that will give a more accurate accounting.

Hey Midlo Dad,

I just went to the 2014 Va Forum and counted 8. 5 from the Cardinals, 2 from the Canes, 1 from the Orioles Scout team. But yes, there could be more we don't know about.
Right. I think everyone is scouting and building their files. But not everyone is ready to commit money at this stage.

Keewart, I was doing the same checking of the other thread and was surprised to see it was indeed only 8 total. With us having 5 and with so many teams out there I figured there had to be more. But I suppose a lot of the Canes and Orioles' guys are not VA players.

Or, maybe it's just because we are so wonderful. Smile
About a month ago we (2015) met with a Mid Major D1 recruiter where he said they were wrapping up their 2013's and just getting started on their 2014's and hadn't even started with their 2015's. His advice was to attend camps at top choice schools allowing both staff and player to get better acquainted. I later found out that that same weekend he offered a 2015 the first spot on their list of recruits. Stud RHP and great kid!
My 2014 grad received 13 D1 emails September 1-2. He has been verbally offered scholarship. For us it's too early to decide not having all of the information on the schools he is looking at to make a intelligent decision. Players are "verbally" committing much earlier as colleges are trying to lock in the top talent sooner. However we know that players talent changes over time and so does the "verbal" commitments from colleges. It might not be that the player talent has decline it could be that other players just surpassed him or the colleges see other players that fills the need of their roster better. I've witness this firsthand with some very good players losing that "verbal" commitment. Get your son in the best national showcase(s) to be seen and on a top travel team playing the best competition in tournaments because that is where the college coaches/scouts will be to see him play. Yes the main focus is on the 2013 grads but if your son can play up he will be looked at too. The Perfect Game Underclass Main Event Showcase held December 28-30 is probably the best event to get your son noticed and on the upcoming high school season radar by coaches. Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.