Skip to main content

Originally Posted by standballdad:
Originally Posted by HS89#:
Just for fun, I challenge all roller bag parents to look in the bag & tell us how many empty water bottles & half bottles of Gatorade, half bags of seeds & extra laundry is residing in said bag! You may be surprised!

I dare not look

I've looked *shudder* don't make me do it again!!!!!

Originally Posted by roothog66:

To the 30 red flags. First, I'm wondering how old this is. There were a couple of the "flags" that caught my attention and I wondered what people thought.

Flat bills. There was a post on here a few years ago concerning this, but I wonder if the attitude has changed as flat billed hats become more common. Heck, I see entire high school teams now where the whole team wears them. A lot of younger coaches wear them. So, do you think the majority of recruiters and college coaches out there still have some big prejudice against wearing a flat bill cap?

Rolling bags. Personally I never thought about it much. My kid has one as do many other high school players. While I might understand a certain prejudice against flat billed caps by old schoolers, I really have a hard time grasping the rolling bag situation.

My son does not use a rolling bag in HS. You will be hard pressed to see players with rolling bags as they get older. My son BTW is a  catcher.

I just coached a 17u team two months ago made up of players from Colorado, Texas, and las Vegas. All play varsity or JV for their highs chools. When we were walking from one field to the next, I noticed they pretty much all had rolling bags (it caught my attention because of the noise). I just brought it up because I fail to see how this would be viewed as a negative in any way.

Oh, and last year, I found about 15 bottle, most half-full.

To the 30 red flags. First, I'm wondering how old this is. There were a couple of the "flags" that caught my attention and I wondered what people thought.

Flat bills. There was a post on here a few years ago concerning this, but I wonder if the attitude has changed as flat billed hats become more common. Heck, I see entire high school teams now where the whole team wears them. A lot of younger coaches wear them. So, do you think the majority of recruiters and college coaches out there still have some big prejudice against wearing a flat bill cap?

Rolling bags. Personally I never thought about it much. My kid has one as do many other high school players. While I might understand a certain prejudice against flat billed caps by old schoolers, I really have a hard time grasping the rolling bag situation.

My son does not use a rolling bag in HS. You will be hard pressed to see players with rolling bags as they get older. My son BTW is a  catcher.

I just coached a 17u team two months ago made up of players from Colorado, Texas, and las Vegas. All play varsity or JV for their highs chools. When we were walking from one field to the next, I noticed they pretty much all had rolling bags (it caught my attention because of the noise). I just brought it up because I fail to see how this would be viewed as a negative in any way.

If your field is about 30 feet from the parking lot I see why rollings bags might be considered childish, but if your field is 0.5-.75 miles from the parking lot *cough East Cobb*, isn't there something counter productive about schlepping around all that weight?

Maybe a Regional thing?

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

If your field is about 30 feet from the parking lot I see why rollings bags might be considered childish, but if your field is 0.5-.75 miles from the parking lot *cough East Cobb*, isn't there something counter productive about schlepping around all that weight?

Actually, my sons has wheels but can also be worn like a backpack. he uses it both ways. Personally, I don't get the problem. I don't look down on people at the airport because they roll their bags.

Edit: and my son't bag has been in a few airports.

Last edited by roothog66
When I first posted I said it could be a geographic opinion, As background, The Trosky "red flags" first posted Nov 14', Nate is a Scout for the Mikwaukee Brewers, and Coaches the Brewers Area Code Team, my son was playing for The Miami Marlins Scout Team fall of his Jr. Year, and was recommended to Trosky based on his Grades, Character, Skill &  Projectability, although the order is up for debate, went to AZ Classic twice with him @ one of our games vs The Yankees Scout team  there were over 90 guys wearing Khaki's plus the college coaches~ who knows what was going thru all those minds?!? Only posted because I care, my son made a few mistakes along the way, want to help others from repeating them, the details may matter to some & not others. Just remember, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in awhile, haha

Actually, my sons has wheels but can also be worn like a backpack. he uses it both ways. Personally, I don't get the problem. I don't look down on people at the airport because they roll their bags.

Look at it this way, some coaches don't care for roller bags and some could care less. It made the list above so some coaches must not care for them. You will never see a coach negatively comment on a kid that carries his bag. Its all about first impressions. Once a  kid takes the field it doesn't really matter if he has the talent.

Look at it this way, some coaches don't care for roller bags and some could care less. It made the list above so some coaches must not care for them. You will never see a coach negatively comment on a kid that carries his bag. Its all about first impressions. Once a  kid takes the field it doesn't really matter if he has the talent.

I don't doubt that at all. It just struck me as a weird "flag." Some of the "flags" I don't agree with but definitely would have projected that some might see those things as a negative. Not sure that I can see what about a rolling bag would be seen as a negative. What exactly is it that would go through a coahes mind seeing a kid roll his bag? Laziness? In that case, maybe it would be best to have the kid carry his glove on the end of his bat and tie his cleats together and wear them around his neck like we did in the "old days."

I don't doubt that at all. It just struck me as a weird "flag." Some of the "flags" I don't agree with but definitely would have projected that some might see those things as a negative. Not sure that I can see what about a rolling bag would be seen as a negative. What exactly is it that would go through a coahes mind seeing a kid roll his bag? Laziness? In that case, maybe it would be best to have the kid carry his glove on the end of his bat and tie his cleats together and wear them around his neck like we did in the "old days."

I really didn't pay much attention to it until I saw my son carry his bag full of catchers gear when he was 13/14. All the other kids had rollers. I offered to get him a bag with rollers but he said he was fine with carrying his stuff. I asked him why not, he said he didn't see any of the college catchers with rollers they all carried, I said okay. I was actually tickled pink inside that he was willing to carry the bag.        

So the ones that responded to looking in sons' roller bag found a glorified recycle bin & laundry basket & how about the amount of space they take up in the dugout, (usually not squishable b/c of the frame) or if parked outside the dugout or hanging on the fence, coaches & kids jumping over them & obstructing more view from the stands... Just thinking outloud
Originally Posted by joes87:

My son just came home from a college coaches camp his travel organization puts on. He had the opportunity to talk with a few coaches. The topic of what the coaches look for came up. He said one coach put this out as his list

1. are you hustling

2. If your hustling his next call is to your guidance counselor to check on what type of person you are as well as your grades

3. Next call is to your travel and HS coach asking about your work ethic

4. If he can he will sit in his car and watch for you as you come to the game. He's watching to see what you look like showing up at the park. 

5. he will then walk over and watch you warm up.  

6. if you pass all the above then they will start to evaluate your baseball skills

He he said that the other coaches in the discussion concurred that most of them all have similar things they look at. 

Some good responses here. 

I do have to point out one misconception in the OP.  That college coach can not call a HS Guidance Counselor and get information about a student.  Any discussion on grades is illegal.  For a HS coach to get this information to share with a college coach, they have to sign forms allowing the Guidance Department to release this information.  The coach then doesn't have a blank check to just share this with anyone but needs permission from the parents to do so.  Heck, as a parent, you can't get that information on the phone at a lot of schools.

I actually think the flat bill looks great, and I am 44 years old.  I am sure that scouts, like regular Joes, have things they like and dislike.  I try to teach my son to do well in school, be polite, talk to adults, look them in the eye, play the game the right way, etc. etc.  Wearing a flat bill or using a roller bag are not 2 items that I am concerned with.  (My son does neither.)

Once a  kid takes the field it doesn't really matter if he has the talent.

Actually, it does; and, for most who coach, it's about much more than first impressions.

I couldn't agree more with those on this thread who point out that baseball skills top the list of what every recruiter is seeking. If the recruiter doesn't think the player being observed can contribute consistently at his program's level, none of the rest of this stuff matters.

However, most recruiters see more players who are capable of making that contribution than they have positions to fill. Generally speaking, it's a buyer's market from their perspective. That's where the rest of this stuff comes in.

Why is it about more than a first impression? Because behind many of the positive behaviors discussed here are the sort of fundamental characteristics that most coaches value on their roster. 

Coaches are looking for people who respect themselves, the people around them, and the game, itself. The large majority of them grew up learning these values, and they've had years of opportunities to observe why it's important to surround themselves with people who can "walk the walk."

There's a thread pinned to the top of the "General Items Forum" entitled "So you want an advantage?" I commend it to anyone intent upon walking the walk.

http://community.hsbaseballweb...ou-want-an-advantage

Last edited by Prepster
Originally Posted by Prepster:
Once a  kid takes the field it doesn't really matter if he has the talent.

Actually, it does; and, for most who coach, it's about much more than first impressions.

I couldn't agree more with those on this thread who point out that baseball skills top the list of what every recruiter is seeking. If the recruiter doesn't think the player being observed can contribute consistently at his program's level, none of the rest of this stuff matters.

However, most recruiters see more players who are capable of making that contribution than they have positions to fill. Generally speaking, it's a buyer's market from their perspective. That's where the rest of this stuff comes in.

Why is it about more than a first impression? Because behind many of the positive behaviors discussed here are the sort of fundamental characteristics that most coaches value on their roster. 

Coaches are looking for people who respect themselves, the people around them, and the game, itself. The large majority of them grew up learning these values, and they've had years of opportunities to observe why it's important to surround themselves with people who can "walk the walk."

Don't disagree with what you are saying here. I was referring to the wheeled bag thing and first impressions. Character Counts!

Understand completely, standballdad, and I apologize for making it seem like I was picking on you and your quote. I really meant for my comments to be taken much more broadly.

My interest was really in addressing my remarks to some of those who might be inclined to minimize this subject's importance to the ones making the recruiting assessments out there; making the mistake of thinking that "lip service," alone, will suffice.

Last edited by Prepster
I don't care what a coach says. No coach isn't going to recruit a 6'5" lefty throwing 95 because he has on a flat bill cap or uses a rolling bag even if dad is pulling it. As a football guy this is one of the baseball things that crack me up. I could have been sitting in a recliner with my father fanning me and my mother feeding me grapes when a football coach came to my house. All he would have said is. What your 40 time. Hahaha
Originally Posted by Scotty83:
I don't care what a coach says. No coach isn't going to recruit a 6'5" lefty throwing 95 because he has on a flat bill cap or uses a rolling bag even if dad is pulling it. As a football guy this is one of the baseball things that crack me up. I could have been sitting in a recliner with my father fanning me and my mother feeding me grapes when a football coach came to my house. All he would have said is. What your 40 time. Hahaha

I think that's how Bryce Harper's visits went.

Jaw dropping studs yes, the rest of the pack, especially if you are a borderline recruit, I beg to differ. Character can be a descrimanator.

I'll never forget an MLB scout who used the term "false hustle" to describe how some players think that if they run everywhere in a showcase or camp, they'll be noticed.

They are, but not always for the right reasons. Sometimes, walking and talking with the guys after a drill means more than running off alone.

Originally Posted by jp24:

I'll never forget an MLB scout who used the term "false hustle" to describe how some players think that if they run everywhere in a showcase or camp, they'll be noticed.

They are, but not always for the right reasons. Sometimes, walking and talking with the guys after a drill means more than running off alone.

I hope my son doesn't run into that scout. He's the one running between all the drills. Since coach Corbin told him to he even does it when it's just us at the ball field alone. Hahaha I just wish he would have throw in a clean your room comment lol. If coach Corbin says it we must do it.

AMEN on that filthy room, Scotty!

It's something to think about, though, dont'cha think?

In fact, it's something I've wondered about throughout JP's years in baseball. Boys are told to hustle, hustle, hustle, as a way to catch coaches' and scouts' attention.

And while I wouldn't suggest to any young player that he NOT hustle in showcases and camps (I'm talking about between drills, specifically), I wouldn't tell him he should, either. Does that make sense? 

There are two risks: First, that he'll be viewed as over the top (false hustle) and second, that he'll separate himself ... and potentially be viewed as not able to bond with others.

But truth be told, as others have said ... none of this outweighs talent and commitment.

Originally Posted by jp24:

I couldn't agree more.  While in fairness I am just a high school coach not a scout I too hate the phony 'great attitudes'.  Baseball is a game to be played full speed between the lines.  But coming on and off the field?  I don't want a guy walking of course but if they are on a jog who cares?  To me the guys who sprint in are doing it either for humor or to try to impress god knows who.  Play at 100% both physically and mentally but in baseball it is more than ok to have some fun along the way.

Agree with jolietboy on this.  However, there are certain players that sprint full out to and from their position just due to habit.  They are not doing it for any reason other than that is how they play.  Definitely not fake hustle, it's the real thing and sometimes it can look good when you see it.  

I'm more concerned with the player not running out ground balls or not paying attention to the situations.

Most of those fake hustlers show their true colors in time.  The real hustlers don't worry about it because they do it if there are a thousand people watching or if no one is watching.  

I always wanted hustle, everyone does, but just like jolietboy, it is just fine jogging on and off the field.  Some coaches want the whole team sprinting full speed on and off and that is OK too.

Play the game hard, play smart, be alert, be a good team mate.  Those things look good and other than talent they mean more than other things like what kind of bag you use or if your bill is flat. Anyway, that is the way I see it.

...this is one of the baseball things that crack me up. I could have been sitting in a recliner with my father fanning me and my mother feeding me grapes when a football coach came to my house. All he would have said is. What your 40 time. Hahaha

Approximately the ten millionth example of why I'll always be eternally grateful that my son chose baseball.

...this is one of the baseball things that crack me up. I could have been sitting in a recliner with my father fanning me and my mother feeding me grapes when a football coach came to my house. All he would have said is. What your 40 time. Hahaha

Approximately the ten millionth example of why I'll always be eternally grateful that my son chose baseball.

I get both points.  I never cared too much for the football culture and all that comes with it.  My son is in 7th grade and mom and me are rightfully a little concerned about all the concussion stuff etc.  So he does not play even though he would like to.  The 7th grade football coach asked him if he has to ask us for permission to take a pis as well.  Completely out of line and not all that surprising given the culture...  on the other hand sometimes we baseball people go a little overboard as well.  My first high school coaching job was at my alma matter.  A rich baseball tradition which last I knew produced more major league players than any other school in illinois.  But day one some of the coaches would go through this diatribe about exactly how to wear your baseball hat.  Exactly how to put it on in relation to your ears hair etc.  Sometimes we as baseball people worry way too much about things that should be on the periphery.   I think all scotty is trying to say is that if you are talented enough most of those things don't matter.  However I suppose it does matter more when you are in that borderline pack of 100 kids for 5 spots.
Originally Posted by jolietboy:

I get both points.  I never cared too much for the football culture and all that comes with it.  My son is in 7th grade and mom and me are rightfully a little concerned about all the concussion stuff etc.  So he does not play even though he would like to.  The 7th grade football coach asked him if he has to ask us for permission to take a pis as well.  Completely out of line and not all that surprising given the culture...  on the other hand sometimes we baseball people go a little overboard as well.  My first high school coaching job was at my alma matter.  A rich baseball tradition which last I knew produced more major league players than any other school in illinois.  But day one some of the coaches would go through this diatribe about exactly how to wear your baseball hat.  Exactly how to put it on in relation to your ears hair etc.  Sometimes we as baseball people worry way too much about things that should be on the periphery.   I think all scotty is trying to say is that if you are talented enough most of those things don't matter.  However I suppose it does matter more when you are in that borderline pack of 100 kids for 5 spots.

My son's high school program is run in the same manner.  At the camps, they spend 5 minutes on how they wear their hats & uniform.  They also require the boys to sprint off the field.  I am not particularly keen on the "how to wear your hat" thing, but it is a part of the whole package.  This is what we do, and how we do it.  The program is very successful, and the coaching staff is well respected.  I don't think it is a coincidence that the majority of he staff played at Lewis & Clark State under coach Ed Cheff.  He ran a tight ship, and had a great program that won lots of national titles.

Originally Posted by rynoattack:

My son's high school program is run in the same manner.  At the camps, they spend 5 minutes on how they wear their hats & uniform.  They also require the boys to sprint off the field.  I am not particularly keen on the "how to wear your hat" thing, but it is a part of the whole package.  This is what we do, and how we do it.  The program is very successful, and the coaching staff is well respected.  I don't think it is a coincidence that the majority of he staff played at Lewis & Clark State under coach Ed Cheff.  He ran a tight ship, and had a great program that won lots of national titles.

We discuss how to wear the uniform, particularly when we have bus trips to away games. We don't coach how to wear a hat, but we will correct the ones who wear it in a manner that calls attention to themselves. We don't have our names on the backs of our jerseys and we don't wear the one-arm digi camo sleeves. We coach our kids how to stand at attention and respect the national anthem.We have team travel bags so that we look uniform when we get off of the bus. We don't wear headphones when in uniform. There is no specific hair style, but we will correct the ones that call attention to themselves when in uniform.

I don't know if that makes us old school, new school, worried about the periphery or just jerks, but we believe it's the right way so we go with it. If we find a better way and the future, we'll definitely adjust, but until that day we try to have as uniform look and feel in our program is possible.

Originally Posted by ironhorse:

Originally Posted by rynoattack:

We discuss how to wear the uniform, particularly when we have bus trips to away games. We don't coach how to wear a hat, but we will correct the ones who wear it in a manner that calls attention to themselves. We don't have our names on the backs of our jerseys and we don't wear the one-arm digi camo sleeves. We coach our kids how to stand at attention and respect the national anthem.We have team travel bags so that we look uniform when we get off of the bus. We don't wear headphones when in uniform. There is no specific hair style, but we will correct the ones that call attention to themselves when in uniform.

I don't know if that makes us old school, new school, worried about the periphery or just jerks, but we believe it's the right way so we go with it. If we find a better way and the future, we'll definitely adjust, but until that day we try to have as uniform look and feel in our program is possible.

I am very proud of the two state championship programs I coached at.  And I respect their rich baseball tradition.  However I still don't think how we wore our hats or got off the bus or ran off the field had a whole lot to do with it.  Yes I get that every little thing can be part of a greater dicipline.  But really I think it was the guy behind you threatening to take your spot that motivated them!  We had a kid who split time at first base freshman year who would eventually get drafted by the dodgers.  There were some great coaches from those schools but there was a hell of a lot of talent too and thats what made them great programs.  I am betting that if they wore their uniform a little different they would have still been pretty good!
Originally Posted by ironhorse:

To each their own. I feel like part of the championship teams I've been apart of as a player and coach got something from the pride we felt in representing the program a certain way.

Agreed whole heartedly.   My point is just that there is more than one 'right' way.  But love YOUR great attitude!  Different strokes for different folks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.