Skip to main content

Son was one of last two players cut as a freshman in a large classification high school. He was assigned to the JV team rather than freshman team. I asked my son if he felt he could hit with the varsity starters. He said yes. I asked him if he could drive the ball with the varsity starters. He said no.

The difference between younger and older high school players is often upper body strength. He was 5'11", 135 freshman year. The following year he was 6'1", 165. He spent the winter before soph year focused on upper body strength. He became the first opening day soph starter at his high school in six years.
My son made JV as Freshman but got called up later in the year and got to pitch in a few games as pitcher.

Started as pitcher and first baseman his Sophmore year. HS team plays in 4A classfication and in one of the tougher conferneces. Every year a Freshman or two are invited to tryout for the JV/V team. Never more than 2-3 freshman make the JV team.

This is his senior year....had to watch him play his last game as a football player made it through that with only a few tears. Be intersting to see how I handle the last HS game on the baseball field, he is going on to play in college but I would imagine there will still be something special about the last high school game.

It is hard to think about how fast it all has happened.
Bsbl247son made varsity and started as a sophomore, his HS has over 3,200 students. He was slated to be the Closer and play RF, but a UCL problem kept him off the mound. He was able to start the majority of the season in Right until his elbow issues resurfaced and was forced to miss the last couple weeks. He still had a pretty decent year, with a couple of long balls and a BA just under .300.

As Playfair stated, there are a number of very good players that don't see the field until their Junior year. It really depends on the philosophy of the HC and the program. There are a couple kids that my son plays/played with during the summer/fall season and they didn't play varsity on their respective HS teams as a Soph. One young man's FB sits in the 87-89 range and has hit 92 on the gun a few times, and didn't come up until he was a Junior (yes, he was throwing gas as a soph too!). The other is a speedy outfielder with good power, he never received any varsity PT as a Soph...But he hit Nine dingers his Junior year with a number of SB's and a pretty good BA. He signed with a Big West school last month.

It's true, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. This game is definitely not a sprint! But there are some advantages to getting on the radar at an earlier age. Thankfully, these two players I mentioned above play with a very competitive travel program and college coaches were aware of their talents prior to them receiving varsity experience.
quote:
Originally posted by bsbl247:
Bsbl247son made varsity and started as a sophomore, his HS has over 3,200 students. He was slated to be the Closer and play RF, but a UCL problem kept him off the mound. He was able to start the majority of the season in Right until his elbow issues resurfaced and was forced to miss the last couple weeks. He still had a pretty decent year, with a couple of long balls and a BA just under .300.

As Playfair stated, there are a number of very good players that don't see the field until their Junior year. It really depends on the philosophy of the HC and the program. There are a couple kids that my son plays/played with during the summer/fall season and they didn't play varsity on their respective HS teams as a Soph. One young man's FB sits in the 87-89 range and has hit 92 on the gun a few times, and didn't come up until he was a Junior (yes, he was throwing gas as a soph too!). The other is a speedy outfielder with good power, he never received any varsity PT as a Soph...But he hit Nine dingers his Junior year with a number of SB's and a pretty good BA. He signed with a Big West school last month.

It's true, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. This game is definitely not a sprint! But there are some advantages to getting on the radar at an earlier age. Thankfully, these two players I mentioned above play with a very competitive travel program and college coaches were aware of their talents prior to them receiving varsity experience.

bsbl247.. I agree completely..The game is a marathon and it's just the right situation, talent,hardwork and luck to even crack the varsity as a freshman. I still believe that a HS baseball player's career will be mostly defined by what he did during his Junior and Senior years.

RJM..Also agree about difference in upper body strength between underclass and upperclassman. I think what helped Jr to make varsity was that he enrolled into a strength class the whole Fall of his Freshman year. Eversince then, The School has started OFF SEASON strength and conditioning for all levels.
I am with you RyanRod. 247 hit is right on the head. It is about where you finish. It depends on the current school players. We had a guy pitch JV all season and got a scholarship offer before he pitched a varsity game. The three varsity starters all went to D1 school and one was a first round pick. Patience as your ability and work ethic will get you there.

One parent I know sent his kid to a lesser program so he could start as freshman. He said it was a mistake because of the quality of coaching. If he would have went to his school he probably make varsity as sophomore and far superior coaching. Ego got in the way.
Son got called up to varsity junior year. Large group 4 school that typically made up of upperclassmen. With 9 seniors, 6 juniors and one soph on varsity, not much room. Large schools in our area typically were senior loaded. Some of the better programs JV teams had many juniors on them.

What's odd is he played every inning on JV and led in every key offensive statistics by a mile. Had 15 more rbi's than the second highest on the team while getting just spot duty on varsity during junior year. But never broke thru despite the varsity struggling for offense. Even at the time, he may have been one of the top three outfielders in the system. Ironically, most juniors who made varsity from day one ended up going down to jv for some innings due to lack of playing time on varsity.

Son was frustrated in that he knew he should've been playing varsity but he figured at least he isn't wasting away on the bench by playing every inning on jv while other juniors sat unless they got called down. After or during the JV games, he reported over to the varsity to come off the bench. He just continued to play hard and be prepared every game.

Son stayed with varsity after jv season ended and got some PH and PR during the conference playoffs.

Senior year, finally got his shot and won starting outfield spot from incumbent and made impact in his first start by going 2-3 off top pitcher (currently a D1 program)in the conference and led team in outfield assists. Eventually became the #3 hitter and a leader even though other players had more experience. All he wanted was the team to win although they had a tough year in a very strong conference. In his first conference tournament start, he went 4-5, 3 RBI 4 SB and 4 runs scored and hit .500 in the tournament overall in an improbable run that almost got them in the q-finals.

While he played in a very odd program, to his credit, he hung in there and made the most of his opportunity when he got his shot, played with confidence in a system that has had players lose confidence and never quit in a system that had its share of players quit going into their senior year.
Last edited by zombywoof
Son made varsity as a sophomore at a DI Ohio high school, enrollment around 1200. A good baseball program, but not great. He spent his entire freshman season on the freshman team, pitching and playing first.

After tryouts his sophomore year, coach told him he would be splitting duty between JV and varsity, pitching on varsity and playing first on JV. He played a grand total of 2 innings on JV. Their first game of the season was against a weak sister, all of the starters were pulled for subs after the 2nd inning.

He was called up to varsity the next day, got his first varsity win pitching in relief. Coach told him to turn in his JV uniform after the game, he was staying on varsity, along with 5 other sophomores. Finished the year 3-2.

Junior year he was #2 pitcher, an important position in our league because the schools play home and home series on Tuesday and Thursday. Started the season well, until a pair of shoulder injuries ended his season. Again finished the season 3-2, both losses coming after the initial shoulder injury.

Senior year was #1 pitcher. Helped lead the team in a battle for the league championship which was not settled until the last day of the season (they ended up tied for 2nd place). His 8-0 record tied the school record for wins in a season. The group of kids that played varsity as sophomores were now the winningest team in school history.
Played freshman ball, played JV ball as a sophomore - started on both teams - third base, outfield, second base and pitched a couple of wins. As parents we were wondering where all this was headed as usually by sophomore year the Varsity players are identified by coach and coach would put freshman and sophs on V. Junior year on V, son starts third - teams wins league title first time in a LONG time. Senior year son wins starting SS after a few games(hadn't played that position since he was 12) ended up team MVP, first team all conference and all district. He really stuck with it - proud of him.
Playing D3 ball now at a fine academic institution. Kind of interesting to write it all down. He worked hard in HS. Might I add that his summer coach when he was 12 told him he was not good enough to play SS.
Last edited by baseball_fever
1st son made varsity as R. Played first base when starter pitched both years. 2nd son mode varsity as soph and played 3rd batted 8th to start ended up in #5 spot. Played SS Jr year. Sr. year played 1st and 3rd ans was # 2 starter. Had knee surgery in Nov. and mobililty was was limited. 3rd son was called up to varsity middle of soph year, got about 1 abat a game. Hurt arm and had surgery didn't play Jr year. Played Sr year as DH.
CD;

The results showing so many on the Varsity roster as Freshmen is surprising to me.

PrimeJr. should have, could have been on Varsity as a Sophomore but was "blocked" by an All-State player at his position. Rather than sit, he was wisely placed on the JV team where he would Star and play every inning. A good decision by the H-Coach.

He sparked the team with his bat when he got there his Junior year to a 23-2 run and a State Championship. His private school allowed eighth graders to play on the "Freshmen" team so the Coaching Staff had their boys "in the system" for five years. The School is a perennial champion in Region and State play.

Interestingly, only a handful over the years played on the Varsity squad as Freshmen (the ones I can think of were pitchers). My son had three fellow 2010 classmates/teammates that started Varsity from their Sophomore years. But, he was the first player on the Team recruited and signed and at the highest level.
It def depends on the program. Some kids are very good coming in and can bring something to the table day one. Some kids play in a program where the competition is much stronger and they have to wait their turn. And some kids play in a program that is very weak and if your decent your in the line up. It def is about the level of program many many times.

One of if not the best HS programs here in NC simply will not play fresh or sophs on varsity. The fresh team has 25 players made up of all fresh. The JV team has 25 made up of Soph's. And the varsity has 25 made up of Jr and Sr. There have been years when the JV team could compete with the Varsity and the Varsity was a state champion. The freshman team could be numerous varsity teams across the state. And the freshman team routinely hammers JV teams.

The fact is many times kids play varsity as freshman because the program is weak. And there are exceptions there always will be. I always felt when the day came that all of my starters were Jrs and Srs and no freshman or soph could beat out one of my upperclassman I was where I wanted to be. That day never came. There was always a younger guy that was simply better. Every freshman that can in to our program that was good enough to start as a freshman was good enough to later play in college. But I also played some teams at the varsity level our JV could beat down. The level of play at the high school level varies so greatly from county to county - state to state - that it really just comes down to how good is the program your son is in and sometimes how good is the guy at your sons position.
Interesting indeed that so many sons made varsity as freshman.
Mine didn't (make Varsity) until his freshman JV season was over, then he sat. He had a coach that beleived upperclassman played before underclassman. He had to give up as a position player (in JV) when he went up to Varsity.

Then as a sophmore he pitched where needed as a varsity guy not necessarily as a starter.

As a junior he filled the same role as the above.

As a senior he pitched, hit and played two other positions.

You are going to see this where ever you go, in college there are freshman who are starters and others who have to wait years for that role. As Coach May says a lot has to do with the program.

I don't see where it really matters. It's where one ends up rahter where they begin.

JMO.
Freshman seldom if ever make varsity at our program. Very few of them can handle 90+ every other week or so. There were a couple who as freshman made it in what was an extremely weak year for the program. 1 was solid thoughout although he only hit about .230 as a freshman. He's a non-scholarship player now as a freshman at a D1 that almost never plays freshmen. It will be interesting to see what happens there. The kid has talent but he's a bit undersized.

The other one struggled all the way through his junior season but had a fine senior season and got a roster spot at a local D1. He ended up deciding on a local JC when there was a coaching change at the D1. Last I heard he hadn't been showing up at practice at the JC.

Another kid who was the same age but a sophmore that season was made the starting catcher as a sophmore. The kid had some hitting ability but was overwhelmed as a sophmore on varsity, lost confidence and never hit over .200 in HS. There were several pitchers in the league that season who are now doing well in Milb. He lost the starting spot midway through his senior season. He sat out a year and then was able to make the team at a local JC this season where surprisingly enough he seems to be competing for a starting spot.

The moral of the story is that sometimes it is much better for players not to make varsity too soon. When you are facing HS competition among the best in the nation it takes a real stud to benefit from being on varsity as a freshman. At the same time there are teams in our area that compete for lower division championships that quite literally couldn't match up with our JV squads. If a freshman doesn't make the varsity there one has to wonder about his chances.
Last edited by CADad
my son started as a freshmen and played every position on the field at one time or another except LF. I agree with CAdad.. you can come up to soon. When everyone else on the team is a jr or sr it doesnt matter you will take some abuse and honestly it began to grate on my player about half way thru the season.

If I had to do it over again I would have rather he have been on JV his freshman season. There will be another soph up with him this time but they will be the only two underclassman. Its a nice resume builder but other than that moms and dads need to think about the long term more than the bragging rights.
Last edited by bothsportsdad
quote:
Originally posted by gap2gap:
Son is trying out as a Freshmen this spring. He has a great shot at making vasity as Pitcher. I am concerned though that he will pitch only and not get many, if any, at bats. I know that making varsity would boast his confidence, but it may hinder his overall development. Any thoughts?

It might have the reverse affect. IMO he might be better off playing more and being more dominant at a lower level. Then getting called up for playoffs.
gap2gap...Here is a comment I made in a local message board after RR23Jr's Freshman year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date 8/24/2009

What are the Good, Bad and Ugly making the varsity as a Freshman.

"As a parent of a player who played Varsity as a Freshman."

Good

Gain mental toughness through trial by fire and those stretches when he's not playing. As a parent, you need to keep everything positive because the transition from being an everyday player in club ball to being a spot starter takes a big adjustment. It's better to learn this early because if they will progress to the next level ( as a freshman in College or a Rookie in minor league), they have an idea already of how it's like and adjust accordingly.

Learning to be a TEAM player ( sacrificing personal gain for team gain)
Learning the game more from the other side ( the game of life )
Learning to COMPETE for a spot
Better competition, more focused coaching which ends up as better training
Enjoying the long bus rides.

Bad

Risk of losing his self esteem during those stretches on the bench or when things does not go your way.
Mixed emotions as a parent, just feeling for your son during these times and how to keep everything into perspective and that hopefully he will be given his chance. He was primarily a pitcher last season and pitched 14 innings (mostly relief vs some quality teams like Desert Vista/Mesa Mountain View although had a chance to start 2 games) but the highlight of his Freshman season may have been when he started 3b against the eventual 5A champs Corona Del Sol during the 2009 5AI playoffs and made 2 assists. Everyone will have different experiences but being ready at anytime when your name is called by the coach will earn you some stripes.

The bottomline is a player that's placed in Varsity as a freshman has some talent to contribute right away. Now whether big or small depends on the opportunities that's given to him and making the most out of every opportunity. A freshman is probably one of the most hardworking guy in the team because he willl need to prove he belongs and hang out with the big boys. Once he has proven that then comes respect which is very satisfying.

Being the ball/bag boy and finding those foul balls.

Ugly

If you were not given any opportunity at all in which maybe you need to be in JV to get some reps in. Makes you wonder why you were picked in the first place

Just my 2 cents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone will have his own unique experiences. For Jr., the limited playing time made him work hard in practice. He was rewarded by his coaches by being given a lots of opportunities during Varsity Summer/Legion ball which led to a very satisfying Sophomore season.

Now looking forward to his Junior season. Gap to Gap...ultimately it will be the coaches' decision and whatever the decision will be if he will be Varsity or JV shouldn't affect the way Jr. approaches the game. He still need to work hard to get stronger, faster, bigger and smarter.

Ultimately, in the end, whatever route an athlete follows during his HS career..It will take hard work both on and off the field, a coach that will like and trust you to help his program, a college program which will fit your academic goals, news/sports media that appreciates your contribution and a little bit of good luck (ie no major injuries) to play into the next level.

Not an easy path..harder said than done but with adequate preparation and planning you might end up in your destination.

If there was an easy way to the next level..we won't be having this discussions.

RR23 Smile
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:
Not too many juniors or seniors handle 90+ that well either.

There seems to be this myth that when you make varsity, you see all these 90mph pitchers. In my son's 2 varsity seasons(one as a starter) he only faced a couple of pitchers who approached and one threw 90+. I agree many juniors and seniors can't hadle them because there's just not enough of them to hit against.

While there's a huge difference in pitching (speed, control and secondary)and the overall speed of the varsity game vs JV, it's not loaded with 90 mph pitchers. High school pitchers typically don't throw that hard unless you ask an overexcited parent on how fast their kid threw.

As for bringing up freshman and sophs too soon, it happens for sure. These kids have no clue what they'ree up against. It's why there's JV and varsity teams.
My son even said that as a frosh and soph he wasn't ready to play varsity. There was one soph handed a starting spot, struggled badly and took him two years to put a decent season together.

Then you got players at the other end like my son who paid his dues and should've been at the very least platooning on varsity as a junior with the opportuniity to win a spot as opposed to playing JV and killing the pitching and throwing kids out at 1B on potential singles to RF and then going up to varsity for an AB or to pinch run. There comes a point where playing JV is no longer helping the player in sone cases. He got screwed but at least when he got his shot, he took advantage of it.

Being an upperclassman definitely has an advantage. My son was more than ready to not only make varsity but become one of the top players on his team. Experience counts and definitely bringng up a kid to soon can set him back a year or two.
Last edited by zombywoof
zomby,
There were several 90+ guys in the league that year. Nick Barnese, Graham Johnson, Jason Stoffel, Robert Stock if memory serves. They saw one at least every other week. There were also some very good mid 80s pitchers. Andrew Lambo was actually one of the best pitchers in the league even though he only threw mid 80s.
Last edited by CADad
quote:
Son is trying out as a Freshmen this spring. He has a great shot at making vasity as Pitcher. I am concerned though that he will pitch only and not get many, if any, at bats. I know that making varsity would boast his confidence, but it may hinder his overall development. Any thoughts?

I am a firm beleiver that as freshman, regardless of talent, or team needs, the player should be placed on JV and pitchers should still be in the line up or playing other positions when not pitching. There is no need for 14,15 year olds to be playing against 17,18 year olds. There is no need for 14,15 year olds to be sitting the bench either.

JMO.
Hope you don't mind if I contribute. I didn't fill out the poll since I didn't want to mess up your survey. Program my daughter tried out for as a freshman only keeps 10 girls on varsity. So, chances for a freshman are slim. She made the varsity since it was a "down year." They won conference, a regional championship... Entering her senior year now. She has played every inning of every game including a game where her hip was dislocated. Somehow, she even pitched in relief in a losing effort and didn't give up a run. She should hold several school records including already holding the school record for doubles by the time her career is over. What will I do when she graduates?

Great thread. I loved reading every response.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
quote:

I am a firm beleiver that as freshman, regardless of talent, or team needs, the player should be placed on JV and pitchers should still be in the line up or playing other positions when not pitching. There is no need for 14,15 year olds to be playing against 17,18 year olds. There is no need for 14,15 year olds to be sitting the bench either.

JMO.

TPM, I always had a freshman make the varsity team. My rule, if they are on the team, they have to play. If they are a pitcher, they have to have JV time at their other position. That the only fair way to go.
Son was starting ss and pitcher (closer) his freshman year. Got a couple hits and closed his first game. Four years went by fast.

Now looking to earn ss at next level. Pitching coach did ask him before break if he wanted to pitch this year so who knows.

While it's our job to fret about things I do find myself enjoying the process too. That would be my recommendation to dads starting the journey- do what you have to do but it's going go be what it's going to be and enjoy the moments.
SON #1
My son pushed himself so hard his freshman and sophmore year,he was determined to make varsity.
He ended up making it his Junior year,but it help make him mentally strong and able to overcome any obstacle. He is now playing baseball at a strong academic school with a great up and coming program.
The work ethic he gain in high school trying to make
varsity,helped him have an easier
transition into a very busy college athletic and academic schedule.
SON #2
Freshman couldn't move to varsity,but he started and played often on freshman.Plus there was a D1 senior recruit playing the same position on varsity.
Sophmore year is looking like he will be playing varsity,but he is focusing on getting better than the others in his position.
(he is what I call a secret competitor)He never boasts,brags,or gives any suggestions that he is working his *%$# off during his downtime to beat out his competition.He also has a great work ethic.
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
We are getting a nice response to this poll. It looks like over 50% were on varsity as freshman.

In all my years I never had a freshman on varsity and to be honest only had a handful of sophomores. are the kids just better today or is it numbers.

As for why more frosh are playing varsity, if it has to be numbers. In our school system, freshman play on the freshman team. Also, the 9th graders are in a different school and the school system is a large school so these players won't even get noticed until their sophomore year when they go to the high school. Most of the large schools in our area typically roster mostly seniors and some juniors and an occasional soph, jv is about a 50/50 split of juniors and sophs and the freshman team. No freshman make varsity. In rare instances they may play jv. Freshman on varsity is more common in small school systems where they barely can field a varsity team let alone JV or frosh.

My guess on this board is maybe people don't want to admit their kid didn't make varsity until junior year. It's more fun to say your kid made it as a freshman. It's not a stigma because there were schools in out conference that some players didn't make varsity until their senior year because it's another large classification school loaded with upperclassmen and yet those players went on to be named all-conference and have gone on and played college ball despite only one season of varsity ball.

There's a definite advantage and more opportunity for freshman to play varsity in small school systems while in large systems, it's extremely rare.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
My guess on this board is maybe people don't want to admit their kid didn't make varsity until junior year.

I dont think that is it.

What I do think is that this is a national online forum encompassing rural, suburban and urban areas. Also factor in kids going to small private schools and a few phenom players. My guess is that the kids who made varsity as a freshman are a mix of rural kids, small school kids and a few studs.

CoachB25- congrats to your daughter. what a fantastic hs career. what to do in your retirement?... become a volunteer coach at her alma mater.

CAdad & Zoomby, we were always seeing some guy who could throw 90s and so was everyone else. Every week. I dont think anyone worried so much about the pitch speed. What earned respect was when a player had a low 90s fastball with a well developed set up pitch. That was a little more special.
Last edited by playfair

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.