Skip to main content

I was in middle school, somehow, the teachers kept the entire thing quiet to us, untill the end of the day. I really didn't have a clue how big it was untill my deck hockey game the next day, when the national anthemn was played and the moment of slience and all. It was hard for a kid still in single digits age wise to focus on keeping pucks out of the net being scared to death. I remember the night of sept. 11th my mom opened her closet and the run next to me and I almost hit my head on the ceiling I jumped so high. I also went to the 2001 New Hamptsure 300, and thats when it REALLY clicked about how big that day really was.
I was at a breakfast sales meeting when one of my associates got a cell phone call from her husband that the first plane had hit. Like most others here, we all assumed it was some freak accident. Within minutes her phone rang again to say the second tower had been hit. We all packed up and went back to the office where we crammed around a small tv for the rest of the morning.
My husband had left the day before on a rare business trip and was in Las Vegas. It was such a helpless feeling, holding our children that night.....I don't remember ever having felt that alone before. It wasn't until the next morning as I was walking my then 6yr old daughter to school that I stopped dead in my tracks as a shiver ran through my whole body. I literally felt as though I been struck by lightening....when I realized that my closest childhood friend worked at Cantor Fitzgerald on the 104th floor. I immediately ran back to the house and began making frantic calls until I was finally able to confirm the worst. Yes,he had been at work that morning, yes he was missing, yes he was assumed dead, and yes his parents were en route driving from up from Florida....

Shortly after that day I gathered a small group of old high school friends together to grieve..what came out of that meeting was a scholarship in my friend's name . To date we have given over $44,000 in scholarships to graduating seniors from our high school. I think my friend would be honored to know that something positive has come of this tragedy.
I was here in Cali trying to get a hold of my brother who worked on Wall Street. He also had to attend various meeting at the WTC so I was very concerned and tried reaching him on his cellular. I couldn't get through. Needless to say he watched both Towers go down and lost 3 of his friends.

As a native new yorker I remember going to School down in Lower Manhattan and always looking at the awesome skyline. I also remember taking my mom to the Restaurant for her B-day at the top of the WTC that same year before the Towers went down. I finally got back to NYC earlier this year in February and broke down when a man with a flute was playing," America the Beautiful", at Ground Zero. I did lose a friend who was an EMT that day. He was helping others and it didn't surprise me that he stayed and was doing what any other NewYorker would do.

Going back to NYC also is different in alot of ways. NYC gets a bad rap for having " obnoxious people". IF you go there the mood is quite different and having been in Cali since 1989 I can honestly say NYC has some of the nicest and most helpful people. The city has changed since that day , so has the country, so has the world.
This is my first time ever that I am writing about where I was on 9/11. I was working 3:00pm to 11:00pm at the time and was home when my son came into my room and told me a plane had hit the Trade Center. From 9:00am on I watched just as shocked and stunned as everyone else. It never occurred to me to check on family members because none of my family works or lives in NY or does any traveling by plane.

I was working in Newark, NJ at the time in the network center of the P.S.E. & G. building. Driving in to work on the NJ Turnpike was as surreal as it gets. The smoke from NY City, not a plane taking off or landing at Newark International, and the jet fighter I saw streaking by confirmed the images I had been watching on TV that morning.

When I got to work a TV had been set up and everyone was watching and talking. At 3:30pm I got a phone call. It was my dad, he didn't sound right, he said "I've got some bad news, you're sister was on the plane that hit the Pentagon, she's gone." Those were the only words he was able to say. His friend got on the phone to tell me more but I was already getting knots in my stomach. I couldn't help myself. I started to break down and a co-worker asked me what was wrong. I managed to repeat what my dad said and then I left the room. I had never experienced true grief, until that moment.

My sister, who spent six years in the Navy and now worked for a defense contractor in Virginia, was going to Las Vegas for a convention. It was the first time she had ever had to travel on her job. She was scheduled to take the flight right before Flight77(the one that hit the Pentagon). But she had some sort of ticketing problem and by the time it was resolved she had been bumped one flight later onto Flight77.

Two days later our family and friends were in Virginia for her bodyless service. I have seen many military services on TV but to really be in one is an extremely emotional experience. When they folded the flag and played taps it was too emotional for words.

The FBI came by later that day to take blood from my father and I for DNA testing of her remains at the Pentagon. They recovered part of her left foot, her right thumb, and some bone fragments. My brother-in-law had the remains cremated and two years later, we had a proper burial for her.
I was at work, at a large hospital, I was the
charge nurse in the operating room. A co-worker
called me to the lounge because a plane had just
ran in to the WTC. While we were standing there
we saw the second plane fly into the WTC.
I will never be able to describe the feeling in
my stomach at that moment, I knew it was not
an accident, and that we were at war, but could
not comprehend how anyone could do that.
It was a very scary day, we did not know if
we should shut down surgery, in case something
else happened locally.
It is a day that I will never forget
Dear Old Dad,

Thank you for your story,,,,,,we need to keep passing on stories like this so that the personal side of this tragedy is never, ever lost..............My heart goes out to you and my tears are for the sister you lost and for all those that loss someone close to them in this horrific manner...........

NEVER FORGET..........
Dear Old Dad,

God Bless you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story. It is a very poignant and personal reminder of what happened that day to both America as a country, and more personally to Americans as individuals with families and loved ones that were lost.

I am just so moved by many of these posts. To think that so many of our family here have been so personally impacted by 9/11 is humbling. May God bless you all.
I was in the 6th grade at the time, My school rests on a hill that has a view of hte manhattan skyline which is only 8 miles away from my school. all the windows in classes hvae the view of the skyline and i was actually daydreaming out the window when it happened and witnessed the explosion. I will never forget what it looked like and the shock it had overcome me with once i saw it.

There was an emergency school meeting that day and walking to the auditorium all the students noticed something and had an idea what hte meeting might be about since the destruction was visible through almost any window in the school.
what a horrible day that was especially seeing it happen live.Never forget, God bless america.
First - To Dear Old Dad - My sincere condolences to you. I cannot imagine your pain and hope that you and your family never have to experience anything like that again and know that you embrace the memory of your sister. God bless her - and you and your family.

I have had a hard time - by myself - dealing with what I saw that day. I talk about it very infrequently - but never really talk about it if you know what I mean.
Sometimes it still seems like it happened yesterday. I think the problem - for me - was the feeling of helplessness. There was nothing I could do. And I wonder why I wasnt in the building a few minutes earlier.

I still cannot get some of the sights out of my mind - nor can I resolve the cowardice of the terrorists with the bravery of the firemen, policemen, and all the others who actually ventured into the site and gave their lives to help others.

I cannot get the memory of the smoke coming out of the North Tower - as if a giant fan was blowing it out of the building - out of my mind. Nor can I get the memory of the people jumping out of the building out of my mind. I remember one man and woman holding hands as they came down. And there wasnt anything I could do to help anyone.

I also hope people remember how dangerous it was after the initial disaster as well. The firemen, policemen, ironworkers and all else that actually went down there every day are heroes too.

If you saw this site up close - you would understand how brave these people were.

I hope that we all - including myself - are able to reconcile this some day and I also hope we kill every single person that had anything whatsoever to do with this.

I am sorry for that feeling - but that is the way I feel.

My sincerest condolences to you again Dear Old Dad.
Last edited by itsinthegame
Dear Old Dad -- thanks so much.

On September 11th, I was flying back from a business trip in Europe. Was about 1 hour from San Francisco (home) when the pilot came over the intercom telling us that 'US airspace has been closed' and that we would be landing in Calgary, Alberta in 45 minutes. That was the only information we had -- all attempts to call out on the airplane phones were un-successful. I honestly thought that either we had been hijacked or that the US air traffic control system had crashed for some reason. When we landed, the flight attendants told us not to use our cell phones, but of course, I ducked behind my seat and turned mine on. 10 messages waiting for me, which was my clue that something terrible was wrong. Called hubby who told me what had happened and then spent the next three days in Canada trying to get home. Was one of the lucky ones - a place to stay (although had to share a hotel room with a fellow random passenger)and was able to leave messages with friends of my kids who had cell phones.

P.S. When I returned, I went out and bought cell phones for each kid -- hubby didn't say a word Smile.

Still have the airline ticket stub from 9/11 on my desk.
Dear Old Dad...

May I add my condolences to you and your family for your lost sister, and my sincerest appreciation to you for sharing this heart wrenching story. It cannot have been easy to share. I feel, however, that the relating of your story, shared by many with startlingly little deviation in detail, is vital to the healing of our nation from this attrocity, and key to maintaining vigilance against such future aggression.

I am of the opinion that this attack, much like Pearl Harbor in '41, has served to awaken our nation's citizenry from a restful complacency regarding our place in the socio-politico-ethno-economic pecking order, (or food-chain if you will) that is our world. Unlike the Japanese 65 years ago though, I believe the Bin Laden flunkies are too arrogant, or ignorant, to appreciate the major-league can of whoop-a$$ they've opened.

We can not afford to forget. We must always remember...

Please keep telling your story. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.