Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
The other side of the coin is why we, as travel/showcase teams, play in events against great competition---the scouts may be there to see a player on the other team and one or two of our guys have a great game they now are on the radar screen

Like I have said numerous times---it ain't about winning it is about being seen

The General Manager of the travel team really did not like hearing that the players joined to team only for "exposure". A matter of fact, our travel team played a lot of tournaments in GA, FL, and other parts of the country even though most continue on to colleges within the state of CA.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Choices:
All of them.

To win , to get exposure , to play against the best competition possible , to play with the best players possible , to be pushed by the players your playing with and against.

All of these are reasons people play on these teams. TR is in the business of helping young men find places to play past hs. His #1 concern is doing just that for his players. The players are trying to win because they are competitors. They are trying to get as much exposure as possibel which increases their options. They are playing with better players against better players which will make them a better player.
That's correct. I never did like players to join for exposure. I wanted guys who wanted to get better and compete against the best. I always found that the players who joined for that reason (exposure) never reached their ultimate goals because they stopped working as soon as they got that verbal commitment. The reason we traveled those places wasn't for exposure. Those tournaments had the best players and teams in the country.

I always used those tournaments as a measuring stick and as incentive for the players. They always found out that there were alot of great players out there. They also figured out that they were pretty good too. Those tournaments always gave the players the impetus to work even harder than they had been.

04- The best hitter on that team ended up at Vanderbilt. While the majority of players stayed regionally, we have had players attend Miami, Florida, Duke, South Carolina, Clemson, Virginia, etc. That never would have happened unless we "branched out" to test our wings. What a great opportunity for those kids to sample another part of the country for four years!
Last edited by ncball
I think it's odd that basically none of the options were why I (we, he) chose a team for my son to play on. Basically all those options were a RESULT of him playing on his select summer team, but they didn't factor in when he signed on. FIT was why we selected the team. His talent determined what team he would play for.
Ignore FIT and you create problems. The "LOOK AT ME" mentality has opened doors for many ---- but has also destroyed the true baseball experience for others. Playing WITH and AGAINST the best can be very rewarding for some but can be humbling for others. Example: I used to fight (box) in the Navy. After five bouts I remained undefeated and was enjoying the competition. One day a sailor, and an experienced boxer, transfered onto our base and joined our boxing team. I was assigned to spar with him. After our sparring bout (and a very good thumping) I removed my boxing gloves and resigned from boxing. I was outclassed and that destroyed the experience. The same can be said of playing baseball where you can't compete or don't fit. Play the game of baseball like it's supposed to be played --- don't get caught up in playing "another" game.
Fungo
fillsfan, There are some different levels in boxing but not nearly as many in baseball.
quote:
A kid who fits on a team at 13 & 14 may not fit at 16 or 17. So I guess fit would be a good reason to switch teams.

I agree 100%. But who determines "fit"? Sadly it is normally the parents. There is no "classification" for young baseball players and many times they are placed where they have no business being.

Many sports have different classifications and levels to keep the competition "healthy". Even the HSBBW classifies posters as "visitors", "new members", "members", "old timers" Big Grin. The NHRA has 200 different classifications of racers.

Horse racing is not just a bunch of horses running around a track:
Allowances are made or "conditions are set" in order for the horse to be eligible in that race. Examples of allowance races are: Non-Winners of 2 (races), Non-Winners of 3 (races), Non-Winners of 4 (races). As you can see, each level is more competitive. A horse that has never won two races might have a hard time winning a race against horses that have won three. There are often other conditions like "of a race since August 5th, 1998" or "at a mile or over." Sometimes there are monetary conditions set, such as "Non-Winners of $3000" or "Non-Winners of 5000 lifetime." A good handicapper will make note of these conditions. Some horses entered in the race may be competitive against Non-winners of $5000 lifetime, but not at all competitive against Non-Winners of three races.

So where does this leave us? I have no idea but we should ask ourselves some questions when we seek out a team.
Fungo
Homerun

You cited a post I made in another thread but I am not sure it applies to your thread.

I consider wanting to win everytime a player goes on the field as part of the players makeup---what I was saying is that winning is not the end all be all for us---we are more concerned about playing great competition so our kids get seen by more coaches and scouts.

A few years back I once had a program head ask me why we played in events where the odds against winning were tremendous---my answer was very simple---" I do not have a facility with shelves to fill with all sorts of awards so as to attract parents" --our award and reward is when a kid gets contacted by a college coach after the event of the past weekend--- that means two things--first we put the kid in the right venue and secondly the kid performed up to his best potential that event--- that weekend was a winner all around or our program.

This , to us , is what it is all about
Great topic. For us...it was b/c the college coach where I worked recommended us starting a team, b/c in his words, "Your son will never develop just playing Little League."

When we moved up here to VA, we started a 13-U team to better prepare the players for JV ball (8th graders can tryout for JV where we live in VA).

So, for us, it was never about exposure or the wins...it was about player development.
My son played on several teams and he fit on all of them. He learned how to be a teammate. He also learned how to adjust and that he could compete anywhere and with anybody. That was part of the growing process. Walking on to a tryout witha hundred players and making a team is part of the education and confidence building. To me it was never about fit as such rather than challenging yourself and being comfortable in new challenging situations. Coaches and players that had never seen you, making new friends etc that was what it was all about. There were some teams that we liked better than others , but all were part of the total experience.
08Son played for the same program as Homerun04 son (although a few years behind him). Judging from how he talks about those two summers, they were the most fun he has ever had on a baseball field.

He joined the program wanting to raise his game - playing with the best, against the best. The experience clearly made him a better player - and, as a byproduct, created memories that will last a lifetime.

08Dad

P.S. NCball - I didn't see your post until after I finished writing this - but thank you (and Tony) for the great experiences.
HR04, I'll add one more reason - It's fun! It's more fun for 2B to play on a better team, it's more fun for us to watch a better game. Practice is more fun, games are more fun. To see the ball pop around the infield, to see the outfielders hit the cutoff man with a laser, to see the catcher make a great throw and see the MIF make a great tag on a runner trying to steal. To see a clutch hit against great pitching, or a knockout pitch against a great hitter. He just wants to play with the best against the best. It's fun! And all that other stuff is great, too. But he wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun.
My son is lucky enough to be playing for the same program since he was 13, he's now 16. Plans are to play the next two years there. The program is very local and fits all of the criteria mentioned above. As long as he continues to improve and can maintain his position there would be no reason for him to change teams. What it give him that is not mentioned is a lot of fun along the way. The friends, the competition and the traveling have all been alot of fun for him. And his old man!

There is some turnover every year which creates competition and aleviates complacency. The goal is to improve each year and competition keeps a kid motivated to improve.

At 13 my son didn't join the team for exposure, he joined for the chance to play with good players. But as they get older this team gives him that opportunity. At 16 yo though kids now are trying out for the team for access to the exposure. I don't think it's a bad thing just a fact of competitive baseball life.
Obviously I am not a great poll developer, but I hope interesting to spark a discussion.

"Fit" is a great reason to play on a team, it does not do anyone good to not be good enough to contribute.

Some players find it better to be the "best" player on the team.

"Fun" is always a good reason that some will play on a team, players will chose to play on a team because his friends are on the team, the skill level of the team is better, or it is more "fun" to win than lose!

Others will be required to play on a team by their high school coaches to keep their players together.
Last edited by Homerun04
quote:
it does not do anyone good to not be good enough to contribute

I always thought that way too but there are many players on college teams that don't play or play very little. I guess they are there for the "experience". The examples of little fish in the big pond vs the big fish in the little pond are everywhere. I know a player that "played" 4 years of SEC baseball with my son and had 1 AB in 4 years. He was very happy and from all indications he had a great fit. Of course his description of "fit" and my description are quite different.
Fungo
What are we looking for in a player when we are selecting players for our program?

#1- Talent
#2- Make up
#3- Desire to play at the next level

We select the most talented players we can find that want to play for the best team they can find. We select players that want to compete at the highest level they can compete at. We select players that play hard are great team mates and want to play at the next level.

They select us because - They want to play on the best team they can find. They want to play on a team that will challenge them by playing with and against the best competition they can find. They select us because they know they will get them exposed to many college coaches during their time with us and this will give them the chance to have the most opportunities at the next level.

Exposure is part of it. Players want to be seen by college coaches and they want an opportunity to show them what they can do. It should not be the only reason a kid plays. If a kid is only playing baseball because he wants to get exposure then he will not be where he is going after hs for very long. You play the game because you love to play the game. Exposure is a by product of doing what you are doing.

If anyone is suggesting that these players are not concerned with being seen by college coaches I dont buy that one bit. They should want to play because they love to play and they want to compete at the highest level they can. But they also want to be seen in this environment by the college coaches. It just should not be the only reason they are playing. If it is it will be obvious and I wouldnt want them either.
Exposure can mean many different things, but the one thing that happens is the player gets exposed, in both good and bad ways.

If a player plays the game for no other reason than the exposure, he will be exposed as such. Guess what some here are saying is if that's the only reason they play, they don't want them.

I can understand that! That is not what most college coaches are looking for. These are the types who will play just for themselves at the next level as well.

If the only thing that matters to someone is exposure, they probably should stay away from teams. They will just get in the way.

Good exposure would include a lot of things that scouts and recruiters want to see. All these things can work together and then things work out fine.

Personally back when I was involved in scouting and recruiting I always hoped to see a kid when I was the only one in the park and hidden. Then you got to see the "real" player! Unfortunately that is nearly impossible now days.
If a kid's reason for playing on team is only for exposure he should probably go to a lot of showcase events and then play on PG teams at the WWBA Jupiter event. Those two events are mainly for exposure. I know the showcase are for evaluation also but they do put a kids name in the system.

I think the real reason to play on these teams is all of the above. Every reason is important but bundled together they add up to a committed player who wants to get better and play hard for the right reasons.

In my experience the kids who seem to be playing mainly for exposure have an over zealous parent pulling the strings. Instead of just letting the kid play, let thing play out and let talent dictate what happens, these parents are pushing and pressuring the kid to change teams, bugging the coach for more playing time and setting their targets way to high. All this does is undermine and hurt what they want the most. It can also allienates the kid from his teammates if he puts his own goals ahead of the team's.
When Midlo Son was 9-14, I helped run his travel team. Our reasons were to provide consistent instruction and to instill competitive fire; neither of those things were available in our rec league. He continued playing rec league just to be with his friends and because he'd rather play baseball than just about anything else in the world. By the same token, he welcomed the opportunity to play substantially more games, to play with teammates and opponents at a higher level (and so to test himself and improve).

Son switched to a national level travel team at 14 going on 15 for several reasons. First, at that time I did not think I could do for him what needed to be done. In fact, I felt it was important that he be seen as a kid who could perform without his dad pulling the strings in the dugout. Second, the team he moved to provided both him and me with an education as far as what was available out there in terms of competition and exposure opportunities both. We were fortunate to land on a team loaded with stud players. One thing I will always advise, go to a team where you are not the best player. It teaches humility and team approach. And it also tends to help in the exposure department if your team is a scout magnet.

The winning was fun, too!
Great post coach. They are exactly the same reasons my son joined his team. To push it to the limit and to be the best by beating (or losing to)the best. The exposure just comes along with it.
We really enjoy the competition of the Va/NC rivalry against you guys. I am sure it brings out the best in both teams and that is what the players (and the scouts) want. That is why your team has been so sucessful, not only in the win-loss column, but in getting players signed.

Yes, both teams are playing for exposure, but the game(s)still mean a lot. Just ask a Dirtbag or a Brave!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.