Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The players I have coached that verballed in their soph year did so because it was the school they had always dreamed of attending. They grew up a huge fan of that school and program. They were tremendous players who the college felt was going to be a big time impact player. Thats why they offered so early to lock him up before someone else had the chance.

Yes the player can always go back on his word. But that rarely happens. Yes the school can pull the offer. But that rarely happens.

So if you already know where you want to go to school. You have dreamed of playing in this program your whole life. They give you the opportunity to do so. And you accept. Thats why kids do it.
Coach May,

What form of communication was the coach using in offering sophomores as I understand you can only directly communicate September 1st of Junior year (and that is only through email/mail/phone call initiated by the player)? Was the communication started by the coach or the sophomores?

Of course, all of this early commitments are non-binding until they sign the NLI.
Last edited by Ryanrod23
Ryanrod23,
quote:
I understand you can only directly communicate September 1st of Junior year (and that is only through email/mail/phone call initiated by the player)?

Lots of people have this "understanding", but it isn't correct.
A player may call, email, and mail a college coach at any age or grade, and say whatever he likes. In a phone conversation which was initiated by the player--not a call returned by the coach--any topic may be discussed. A coach may initiate a phone call to a player on or after July 1 following the player's junior year (June 15 for D2, and earlier yet for military academies). A coach can reply to email/mail, but is very limited in what he can say until Sept 1 of the player's junior year.

So a verbal offer can be extended at any time if the player calls the coach. If a coach want to have a phone conversation with a player, as a practical matter he simply needs to tell the player's high school or travel coach. There is a proposal under consideration now that would prohibit verbal offers before July 1, but I suspect it won't pass, because it would be easily circumvented.

Written offers may not be sent until August 1 before the senior year. This is a new date; until this year, written offers could be tendered after Sept 1 of the junior year.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
I tend to disagree here on some things.

My son's dream school was UM, if he had pursued it sooner than he did, he would have made a big mistake. BIG. His mind changed after his very good friend played there, that was it for him. One might be looking at a program through rose colored glasses, when very young. Your dream school may not be the right fit.

The coach has nothing to lose the player everything, the recruiting process stops, things change, parents finances change, coaches change, programs change. If the player is really good they'll offer him later on. I am talking about VERY early commitments (3-4 years in advance), I just read where a 2014 just committed to a program.

I think the NCAA should put a lid on very early commitments.

It's just a commitment, take it for what it is.
I agree with TPM, its to early to commit, even verbally. So much can and will change in the next two years. Our best opportunity came in June of our senior year.
There is no benefit I can see for the player and do you really think a 15 year old is ready to make a commitment like this, and that's who should do it, not the parents.
Coach May, I have seen players change verbals here in AZ all the time. Schools, on the other hand don't have to pull an offer as I don't really see this as an offer, as a verbal means nothing to them financially. (I believe) See the invited walk on discussion up the board.
This should be completely discussed on an case by case basis. How one kid is recruited is completely different from another - what is factored into making a decision is different for one kid over another.

I'm coaching a kid now that verballed to East Carolina during his sophomore year. He probably will never step foot on campus but he said wanted to stay close to home so his family could see him play, play for a team on the rise, he liked the coach, facilities and atmosphere but the main reason is he just wanted to get the process over with early so he could enjoy playing high school / summer ball. Those factors are what was important to him but another kid might be totally different and if he commits early then it could be a mistake.

All the things TPM listed that could change is 100% correct but sometimes a kid just wants to make that decision. Can't fault him - it's his life.
It must be a west coast thing then because around here it rarely if ever happens. I can only think of one situation where a player switched. I can think of one situation where a college did. And that college suffered a tremendous backlash for it. Several players vowed to not even allow that program to recruit them after they heard what happened to the player. The word got out and their in state recruiting suffered tremendously for it.

A verbal is their word. And it means their reputation is at stake if they do not keep their word. And the word gets out pretty quick if they waver on it.

If a player gives his word he should honor his word. So if your not sure then wait. A college coach should honor his word. So if he is not sure dont offer. Coaches understand that they will have a very hard time if the word gets out that their word is not worth anything.

Again I take your word on things being different in your neck of the woods. But around here in NC verbals by schools and players are taken very seriously.
We just had a kid who is a soph in hs verbal to a major d1 here in NC. He has worn the school colors his whole life. He lives in the town the school is located. He has gone to the games his whole life. He has grown up his whole life dreaming of playing at this school. He is very very talented. He got an offer from this school. It is a great program with outstanding academics in his home town.

Why should he wait? He didnt.
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
Ryanrod23,
quote:
I understand you can only directly communicate September 1st of Junior year (and that is only through email/mail/phone call initiated by the player)?

Lots of people have this "understanding", but it isn't correct.
A player may call, email, and mail a college coach at any age or grade, and say whatever he likes. In a phone conversation which was initiated by the player--not a call returned by the coach--any topic may be discussed. A coach may initiate a phone call to a player on or after July 1 following the player's junior year (June 15 for D2, and earlier yet for military academies). A coach can reply to email/mail, but is very limited in what he can say until Sept 1 of the player's junior year.

So a verbal offer can be extended at any time if the player calls the coach. If a coach want to have a phone conversation with a player, as a practical matter he simply needs to tell the player's high school or travel coach. There is a proposal under consideration now that would prohibit verbal offers before July 1, but I suspect it won't pass, because it would be easily circumvented.

Written offers may not be sent until August 1 before the senior year. This is a new date; until this year, written offers could be tendered after Sept 1 of the junior year.

On thing that big baseball schools do to get around the rules is have showcases at their field. If you are at their complex, then they can talk to you all they want. That is how the most kids get those early offers.
I was under the misguided impression that kids interested in playing college baseball would need to know where they are going by December (or so) of their Senior year when they are ready to apply to colleges. Otherwise, how does recruiting work? Isn't it too late after that? If you haven't applied to a school, how do they recruit you in the spring of your senior year during baseball season? Is there any opportunity to apply and be accepted later than everyone else? Or, do you have to anticipate what colleges might be interested in you and apply in advance. Even then, don't you have to make a decision to attend a school before your baseball season? So, do you put a deposit on a few schools and hope one is interested in putting you on their roster?
quote:
Originally posted by BB13:
I was under the misguided impression that kids interested in playing college baseball would need to know where they are going by December (or so) of their Senior year when they are ready to apply to colleges. Otherwise, how does recruiting work? Isn't it too late after that? If you haven't applied to a school, how do they recruit you in the spring of your senior year during baseball season? Is there any opportunity to apply and be accepted later than everyone else? Or, do you have to anticipate what colleges might be interested in you and apply in advance. Even then, don't you have to make a decision to attend a school before your baseball season? So, do you put a deposit on a few schools and hope one is interested in putting you on their roster?

Hi B 13. Great questions. I am new to this board as a poster, but I want to reply mainly to one aspect of your question - the final statement about multiple deposits. That is not allowed; students can only deposit to one institution. (First time parents my not even realize how important that is!)Students who violate this rule run the risk of having all of his admission offers revoked. The rest of your questions will probably be answered by others on this board, but, in a nutshell, the recruiting process starts much earlier. If, by your name, I can assume your son is 2013, then start now developing his target list, exploring what he is looking for in a college match first, then quickly start getting in touch with the coaches at those kinds of schools where his baseball might be a 'fit' as well. Hope this is helpful.
That may be true for deposits, but one can apply to as many schools as they want.

Good advice from the last post (by the way, welcome to all new websters to the HSBBW).

Keep in mind signing in the fall is not a guarantee for acceptance, the player still has to go through that process and remain eligible until graduation.

Yes, the coaches usually are pretty good at determining beforehand whether they will be accepted, they usually run the players transcripts by admissions to get a general idea before the player applies. I do beleive in some cases, admissions must approve before an offer can be made.

It is always advisable that any player begin their college search (where they would like to attend regardess of sport, etc) when all students begin, which would be during their junior year, according to GPA and test scores.

Don't worry about a late signing in spring, the coaches take care of that.

For the recruit, one can get a pretty good idea of interest before the application deadline, which is after the early signing period. If no early commitment, decisions will have to be made as to where the player has an academic interest.
Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.