Skip to main content

No matter if you are practicing indoors or out developing or improving your small ball skills can make the difference between starting in the spring or riding the pine.

Bunts should be up the foul line where the base man or pitcher has to field it. Don't make the catcher or pitcher look good when you bunt.Never bunt to the pitcher and make sure that your bunt is on the grass or on the foul line dirt.

Study the fine points. Make the fielder with the toughest throw field the ball.

During batting practice take a ball and roll it easily up the lines to see where the grade will keep the ball fair.

Always bunt with the bat level. An angled bunt could come back and hit you.

Third basemen have a tendency to play back on artificial turf. A well placed bunt looks the same in the box score as a line drive to the outfield.

When bunting runners to third, be sure that the third baseman has to field the ball.

Practice bunting so that you hide it until the last second. Don't tip off your bunt.

Bunt early in the game, don't wait until the opposing pitcher has a no hitter going.

Bunting is not just for little guys. Batters get more fast balls when a bunt is suspected.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Watching the D-2 Championships last year, a strong wind was blowing in negating home runs.

It appeared that the participating teams relied on the long ball all year and had no ability to move runners.

Manufacturing runs without a hit will win you many ball games, especially championships on windy days.

Be ready to tag up from any base on a fly ball. Going half way will waste the effort of your teammate. I only reccommend going half way on a bloop shot that could go either way.
This time last year, I remember taking my kid to the cages and watching one of our local HS heroes take an hour in the cage with the 'Mike. All he did was bunt for 50 or so straight minutes. Must have been 300 straight pitches. I was impressed by the dedication and attentiveness to detail. Great example for my son. The local hero was taken in the top 100 picks in last year's amateur draft.
[QUOTE]
Practice bunting so that you hide it until the last second. Don't tip off your bunt. QUOTE]

Excellent and often overlooked bunting advice. Why tip a bunt and give a pitcher a chance to come in tight on you or throw you a difficult pitch to bunt.

Never understood logic in #1 and 2 hitters (almost always with foot speed) showing bunt way to soon. If you are a proficient bunter and (1 & 2 better be) then wait, bunt it smart and increase chances of bunting for a hit. Worse case is you still move the runner with a SAC bunt.
Work on your base running.

Learn how to read a pitcher's pick off move so that you can start stealing on 'first move'.

The 'pickle play' works. Practice it.

Practice your dash from second to home. Score on a single. Outfielders will usually throw to second to keep the runner at first.

Be alert to take the extra base when outfielders throw to the plate.
Angling the bat head down when bunting may only cause a foul ball. With the bat head angled up that same foul ball can hit the batter in the face.

A level bat allows for a greater area to make contact as well as gives the batter more control of where the bunt is placed.

Even a sac bunt should be well placed enough to allow a possibility of the batter beating the throw.

Bunting practice includes all facets of the bunt as well as drag bunting (see Mantle video)

Bunting to either side is included in deciding which fielder has the toughest throw.
Agree to disagree I guess but most times I see a level bat while bunting seems to turn into a pop up would rather have it with the bat head up a bit to get the ball on the ground.

I also have seen enough players at high school or colleg that wait to llong to commit on a sac bunt and then don't get the job done as they bunt foul.

Again jmo. Teach what you like.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.