Skip to main content

The devastation that lies within hearing that you need Tommy John Surgery was something that I was able to cope with in early July when I heard Dr. James Andrews calmly inform me of the news over the phone. Knowing that the news would theoretically put a dagger in any hopes of me competing during my senior season at college was something that I had difficulty coping with.

I had just come off a junior season in which I was the Friday starter for my college team, led my conference in ERA and was voted to the Division III All-Region team by the ABCA. I was geared up and ready to go, hoping for another magical run to the NCAA tournament that I had enjoyed so much in the past with many of the teammates that are still present with me at school. Suddenly, those dreams were ripped from me.

The day after Dr. Andrews told me my fate, I called the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis. They informed me that I would be eligible to continue my playing career at another institution as long as I was working towards a graduate degree in a field of study that was not offered at my current school. In this particular scenario, I then wouldn't have to sit out the typically obligatory year that is generally required of transfers.

I got to work. I didn't want my last pitch thrown to be an errant wild pitch in the first inning of a game. I didn't want all the ensuing hard work (and boy is it hard work) in order to rehab myself back into full strength to be for naught. I wanted to pitch again, I wanted to perform at a level I knew I could perform at.

Starting in late July, I sent out a slew of emails to several dozen college coaches around the country. All of these schools offered masters degrees in the field of Sports Industry Management, something that I am interested in pursuing and is not offered at SUNY Oneonta, where I currently attend school. I sent email after email after email. I spent literally hundreds of hours researching academic programs, baseball coaches and NCAA rules. All the while, I was stuck in a sling or a cast or unable to throw a baseball at all. This went on for months.

The vast majority of the college coaches I contacted did not respond. And the vast majority that did respond told me that while they wish me the best of luck in my recovery, they did not wish to take a risk on a one-year player with an " injury history". Then there were a few that actually were legitimately interested. With these coaches I exchanged emails, text messages and phone calls. A few coaches invited me to campus during the fall and showed me around the facilities, introducing me to players and having me meet with the admissions people of the academic department.

After hours and hours more, I sent my applications out in December, along with three letters of recommendation (a math professor, an internship coordinator and my current school's athletic director). And then I waited.

I waited for months and months and months for the decision. I knew that if I was to be accepted into the program, I'd have a roster spot waiting for me. My future lay in the hands of a graduate school admissions committee, people who I did not know and had no control over. The waiting game was a nerve-wracking time.

This morning I completed the throwing portion of today's rehab assignment, 30 pitches off the mound at 50% velocity. I just wrapped up and was heading to the weight room for my class called "Weight Training" (the laurels of being a second semester senior...GREAT electives) and decided to check my phone to see if I had any text messages or any other notifications. On the top of the screen my Gmail notification showed that I had received a new e-mail. I glanced quickly and read the following:

"Your Admission Decision Is In."

I scurried to the athletic office, where I hopped on a desktop computer that is available for student-athlete use. I logged into my account and went onto my email. I took a deep breath, and opened my e-mail...

So here is my official HSBBWeb announcement:

Next year, I will be enrolling in the School of Continuing Studies to work towards a Masters Degree in Sports Industry Management at...

Georgetown University.

Coach Wilk and I met back in the fall and I felt right at home with the program and the entire surrounding area. Washington DC is a great city and the Georgetown campus is stunningly beautiful. The opportunity for me to work towards completing my graduate degree at a world-reknowned academic institution such as Georgetown while competing in the Big East as a pitcher for my final year of eligibility is a win-win situation in my mind. I've spent much of the day in a state of both ecstatic happiness and relief that this time consuming process is over and now I can celebrate and move onto the next phase in my life.

The lesson I've learned through all of this is simple...perseverance can take you a long way. Coming out of high school I never would have imagined I'd have the opportunity to study at a school like Georgetown or play that level of competition on the field. But fortunately or unfortunately, I had surgery. And I wanted so badly to turn a negative situation into an optimistic solution. While my work certainly isn't done in reaching my ultimate goals, I believe my acceptance letter certainly provides me with a strong foundation for doing just that.

Thanks to all who have helped and been supportive along the way, and go Hoyas!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks to everyone. I hope that it helps someone else along the way that may face some adversity...there is always optimism in some form no matter what situation one may be going through.

Backstop- My school here is about 60%/40%, my dad calls it Playboy U when he drives through campus haha...plus I don't know how much the girlfriend would appreciate that! I'll keep you posted though, I will keep an eye open nonetheless.

I am enrolling into the program beginning in the summer session and the initial plan is to work towards the degree full time to have it obtained by May of 2013. This is what I discussed with Coach Wilk back in the fall and will continue to delve into more specifically with admissions over the next few weeks. Ironically enough, my graduation at Oneonta is scheduled for May 19 and the first day of classes at Georgetown is May 21. So much for a break!
Last edited by J H
Josh, that's great news! You'll be close enough to visit the Express this summer and we have a frosh pitcher coming from Georgetown who is actually starting on the mound for them today against Georgia Southern.

That's super good news and your host family out here will love being able to see a little of your ugly mug... Big Grin
Last edited by hokieone
Congrats Josh I am so happy for you and excited about what this will eventually lead to for you. Your story is one that should inspire others and just shows people what can be accomplished when a person has character, work ethic and a true desire. So many doors are opened for you and I know you are going to take full advantage of it. Good things happen to good people. Congrats Buddy!
Josh,

I know much has been written regarding role models and how good things start at home - and I agree with that perspective. But to take it a step further, I have had my son follow your story. As most of us know, kids often will listen to something that is said by anyone other than their parents. In this case, I believe that the dedication and desire that you have shown has had a direct positive influence on my son. For your path to now take this extraordinary turn is evidence that doing things right with a positive attitude can bring about amazing results. You are a wonderful role model for all young baseball players and young people in general. Thanks and congratulations!!
Thanks once again to everyone for the well wishes and the praise. It is certainly a great time for my family and me and we are looking forward to continuing onto the next phase in life. On a lighter note, my little sister I think is extremely jealous. She is a straight A student and a junior in high school and works very hard in the classroom. When I spoke to her yesterday I told her that she should look at Georgetown as well because they always like relatives being enrolled in the same institution. She said "yeah, maybe." Of course I had to add in this little quip..."imagine if you actually had to rely on your older brother to get into college!" She responded by saying "you're lucky you can throw a curveball" and hung up on me.

Roll Eyes Cool
Last edited by J H
Congratulations Josh! That is Sensational news! ( or should I say Linsational ! Smile ) One of the best examples that Good guys still finishes first! Success through hardwork and after overcoming obstacles is the most gratifying feeling in the world. We are really happy for you man! This will temporarily halt your coaching career next year though Smile. Change is Good and I am glad that you will have an opportunity for a second chance. Keep working hard in rehab. I know there is still some work to be done but you will have something to really look forward to in G-town. Knowing you, you'll win this battle. Good Luck Friend!

Last edited by Ryanrod23

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.