Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TO answer your question about speed.  Realistically, you can improve.  However, it will depend on training, genetics, mechanics, weighted ball and rotational elasticity of your fast twitch muscle. Building legs & running only help with fatigue and lower body stability.  Keeping your rotators cuff strong is critical to this matter.  All these training tools have to work together to increase velocity.  I am a former 1st rd Pro pitcher & current sport specific trainer @ xfactorsportstraining.com

Originally Posted by Kman9:

I am trying to figure out what some workouts for increasing pitching velocity. I have been working out the legs a lot ,but I am not impressed with my results. So is there a certain workout or aspect of the body that really helps build velocity.

Every kid is different: natural arm angle, genetics, physiology etc. I really like the Jeager Long Toss program but understand that what might be good for one kid might not be good for or injure another. My advice is to understand the basic concepts of strengthening, conditioning fast twitch muscles and use a program or aspects of multiple programs that work for your arm.

I think my dialogue disappeared by accident.  Fast twitch & Slow Twitch muscles are part of our muscle structure.  Without using too much jargon, we train to make them work together, at the right time and the right amount of force.  Here is a quote from research that has been done: "Fiber-type composition and the proportion of fast twitch fibers play an important role in power-speed related sports.  The higher the proportion of fast-twitch fibers, the quicker and more powerful the contraction"

(Jacobs, et al., l987 and Abernethy et al., l990).

Basically, if all you did was train to be a long distance runner for years on years, it was take some time to convert over to a sprinter. Two different recruitment of muscle forces.  So, pitching with high velocity involves a plethora of synergy all working together at the same time. *Genetics + flexibility + Age+ proper mechanics + foot landing timing + fast twitch fibers + Arm Angle + Core Strength + Release Point.

Yes, all this has to happen- consistently.  Thus is why, those that are not genetically  gifted can work on a few things; those that are not have to work on getting all these things in order. Fast just does not happen by accident! Can you increase your speed? Yes-but how much? Going from 70-100 is not real. 70-80 is real up to a certain age.

Food for thought. How does little Tim Linthecum throw so hard and has bad throwing form? Cueto (Reds), Jared Weaver, but he has slowed over the years, and others.Here is the key:  EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT, there is no magical answer for all.

What I said My Boddy was,It depends on the player.  Bottom-line.  I did not say noone can do that. It is unrealistic to think that is the NORM.  Yes, I threw the ball 77 mph as a little leaguer-I topped at 94 in the pros.I was referring to the person I was posting to

He is not 15 or 16 years old.  The kid you are talking about may just top out at 90, but like I said, there is no magic answer-it depends on alot of factors.  And yes, Tim does have an unorthodox pitching torque.It is considered in pro baseball to not be the norm. IT WORKS FOR HIM and HIM ONLY.

Originally Posted by Kyle Boddy:

70-100 is unrealistic? We have a 16 year old who started as a 15 year old throwing 70-71 and now throws 90-92 (verified at PG events) just 11 months later. I expect him throwing low-mid 90's his JR year of HS.

The rest of the post about "Linthecum" having "bad throwing form" is also quite... humorous. 

Kman,

Real talk about Pitching..Theoretically speaking, the reality of velocity has been researched many times for many years.  I studied only a 1/4 of it on my Masters Education journey. The latest research was a critique of Aroldis Chapman.. He once threw 105 MPH in triple A for the Louisville Bats. The question was, how did he do it? Here is a study done by Dr Fleisig, American Sports Medicine Institute. The biomechanics of pitching

Dr. Fleisig studies the biomechanics of pitching, inviting pitchers ranging from middle schoolers to major leaguers to throw on the mound he has set up at his lab facility.

A human can throw a baseball about 100 mph. (Not all humans). Fleisig has found that adjustments to a pitcher's biomechanics, as well as better conditioning of the entire kinetic chain from the legs to the core to the arm, can improve a pitcher's velocity on his fastball. But he's discovered that as the pitcher approaches 100 mph, these tweaks and strengthening have diminishing returns. Another cause of the 100-mph ceiling owes to this: the amount of torque needed to throw in excess of the century mark is greater than the amount of force the ulnar collateral ligament (the elbow ligament Strasburg tore) can withstand before giving out, according to tests conducted. 

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE ARM

When a pitcher cocks his arm, where it is turned back to the point where the palm is facing toward the sky, there's about 100 Newton-meters of torque on the arm, which subjects the arm to the same amount of stress as if the pitcher had a 60-pound weight hanging from his hand in that position.  The average peak age for a pitcher (starter) that throws fastballs(not a knuckleballer), is 25.05 years old. High velocity pitching just does not occur often after this age. Chapman is a freak of nature and Nolan Ryan is a freak of nature.  Baseball scouts already know this information.

Originally Posted by Coachfactor:

Kman,

Real talk about Pitching..Theoretically speaking, the reality of velocity has been researched many times for many years.  I studied only a 1/4 of it on my Masters Education journey. The latest research was a critique of Aroldis Chapman.. He once threw 105 MPH in triple A for the Louisville Bats. The question was, how did he do it? Here is a study done by Dr Fleisig, American Sports Medicine Institute. The biomechanics of pitching

Dr. Fleisig studies the biomechanics of pitching, inviting pitchers ranging from middle schoolers to major leaguers to throw on the mound he has set up at his lab facility.

A human can throw a baseball about 100 mph. (Not all humans). Fleisig has found that adjustments to a pitcher's biomechanics, as well as better conditioning of the entire kinetic chain from the legs to the core to the arm, can improve a pitcher's velocity on his fastball. But he's discovered that as the pitcher approaches 100 mph, these tweaks and strengthening have diminishing returns. Another cause of the 100-mph ceiling owes to this: the amount of torque needed to throw in excess of the century mark is greater than the amount of force the ulnar collateral ligament (the elbow ligament Strasburg tore) can withstand before giving out, according to tests conducted. 

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE ARM

When a pitcher cocks his arm, where it is turned back to the point where the palm is facing toward the sky, there's about 100 Newton-meters of torque on the arm, which subjects the arm to the same amount of stress as if the pitcher had a 60-pound weight hanging from his hand in that position.  The average peak age for a pitcher (starter) that throws fastballs(not a knuckleballer), is 25.05 years old. High velocity pitching just does not occur often after this age. Chapman is a freak of nature and Nolan Ryan is a freak of nature.  Baseball scouts already know this information.

Thanks Coachfactor what is biomechanics. I looked up what you had about biomechanics but still don't understand.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.