Skip to main content

Spinner, I have no idea who you are, but you are way off on duecedoc. Players of mine have played for him and he is always in contact with me so we can be on the same page with regards to the players best interest. I called bill last summer because I was in a bind with one of my seniors. This senior had a tremendous senior year and was not on anyones radar. I contacted some d1 coaches and they came to see him play but were only able to see 2 games last spring. Bill helped my out by letting this kid come play with him for a weekend so the school could get a final look. Bill made it work for this kid even though he already had a full squad and starters in place. My senior was offered a scholarship and is now attending this school. Give him a break, he is good for the game and great to work with.
I just want to say that we have only known Bill for a short period of time. He has worked with our son's pitching a number of times and asked for nothing in return. He has had him join his group of players for pitching and hitting to prepare for the spring season. Again, he has asked for nothing. If you were around him, you would know that he loves the game of baseball and he is very proud of the kids he works with and those who love and respect the game of baseball in general.

Our son plays both H.S. and travel baseball. When he plays H.S., he thinks it is the best. When he plays travel, he thinks it is the best. Why do some adults have to draw a line in the sand when it comes to the two? Bottom line, it is baseball. That is the important thing.

Thanks Bill for all you do for baseball and the kids that want to play it to the best of their ability.
Spinner,Ive also known Coach Copp for a little while and I can assure you hes all about helping the kids .He asks for nothing in return. My son played in his fall league and had the oppurtunity to go to Jupiter Florida with his Orioles Team.He treated my son as if hes been on the team all year.Hes helping in the recruiting process also.He doesnt have to do that for us but thats the kind of person he is, and to read your posts about him are disturbing to me. You know absolutely nothing about Coach Copp and I suggest you stick to a topic you do know.
quote:
Originally posted by spinner1:
Rosey i apologize for not following your structured forum. I am happy for the kid going to AS. The thread generated a question I figured others may also be interested in bills answer. My only suggestion for you would be just scan by my question or bills answer and move to a thread that interests you.
WHY?
Again, you're messing with another good, hard-working man who wants nothing more than to see players move on to the college level and achieve their potential.

Nobody wants your questions answered. Leave and be hasty about it.
Ben, ( no one wants my questions answered?) Since when did you assume the position for talking on everyone's behallf?
What paper do you write for? Do they allow you to throw your weight around like this? My response to Fasball is appearing on a competing web site. I will debate anyone at anytime. I also call an ACE an Ace....I always go with the higher card.
Last edited by CoachB25
quote:
Originally posted by spinner1:
Ben, ( no one wants my questions answered?) Since when did you assume the position for talking on everyone's behallf?
What paper do you write for? Do they allow you to throw your weight around like this? My response to Fasball is appearing on a competing web site. I will debate anyone at anytime. I also call an ACE an Ace....I always go with the higher card.

Spinner, isn't your charge against Ben hypocritical? You claim to be asking your quesitions on behalf of the masses! Rather, I believe you speak for yourself.

COMPETING WEBSITE? Attempt at humor? This is a high school baseball website comprised of parents, coaches, players etc. and we aren't competing against anyone. I'd like to do my best Bobby Knight imitations here from his various post game interviews on topic of this website competing against another. I just couldn't do it justice. (Close eyes, think about Bobby Knights's Game Face Routine! = classic!)

BTW, at various times you've presented yourself as representing various segments of baseball's society, ie. players and/or coaches and have stated, "Most A.D.'s" and "sending the wrong message to players" insinuating that you speak for them or know how they think. Yet, you question Ben?

This site is what it is. Any other site claiming that we're in competition just doesn't get it. But then again... I realize that I'm just an ordinary coach and teacher. Yet, I wonder why those that promote their websites as superior to this or that would ever need this website? Spinner, I don't know what is posted on a "copeting website" but surely they have better things to do than live their lives vicariously through the hsbaseballweb.

JMHO!
Last edited by CoachB25
A great big Congrats to young Mr.Ruetigger!

Happy St. Paddy's to the Irish Deuce!

Thought I'd mention that Coach Murphy at ASU is a well known stockpiler. He is not alone...can you say Augie Garrido?

Blazer's warning is appropriate for players that have not done their homework. However if the player and his parents have visited several schools on unofficial visits and are sold on a particular school...more power to them.
Spinner,

There's a small graveyard with the remains of others that felt that they should involve another site in this websites' business. Have you purchased your plot as yet?

If you look long enough you might find someone who agrees (?????)with what you write. Are you the brains behind the movement of a few years ago that wanted to ban dodgeball in school gym?
Spinner.... "da Bad guy"...

At least you were forthcoming in your Knockout....except for one thing. If you are going to be that guy, you have to be consistent.

In another thread I questioned whether or nor it was appropriate for PG to a have a League that accomodated kids who could be playing on their HS Team. You pretty much sidestepped that issue (or question) and did a good job of fawning over them. Great or as good as PG is, it was a fair question. Your M.O. has been to be critical...why do you rip others and let them off the hook? Do you or your associates have a relationship with them? Just a simple question.
Last edited by FastballDad
Fastball. No relationship with pg. You show me a company that does a better job and then we can talk. I'm off to meet with bill at the goal post, something I said struck nerve, could this mean an end to wasting this talent languishing in the uncut outfield of orland park. I know i would get more excited if his press release stated he had joined the staff at Sandburg or Lyons twsp instead we get treated to the earth shattering report that the O's have folded and big B is a spark now. B you also need to be careful with those in-seaon workouts you mentioned, get more than two together and they get to sit out the rest of the season.
spinner, I am not sure what you have against Bill, but I will say he has treated my son and the kids he works with very well. Honestly, respectful, knowledgeable and I see him treat players from other programs the same way. I honestly believe he is in this for the players and the game. As far as his workouts he does know the rules.
FWIW,

We have a lot of respect for Bill Copp and we respect everyone who is involved in baseball who treats us with respect.

I'm glad to see someone speaking highly of us, but I have no idea who "spinner" is. For that matter I know only a few of the people who post here.

What I really don't understand is how our name entered this discussion and why? I do know I'm not a big fan of agendas!

Listen, we are not anything other than a bunch of hard working people doing our best. We do not need a pat on the back and we don't deserve any stabs in the back. We are not special, either way!!
Not sure what others claim, but everything we claim is published somewhere on our websites. There are no partnerships with anyone that are not listed somewhere on our website. If someone is not listed as an affiliate on any of our websites, then they are not affiliated with us. We don't keep much a secret! That said, it's not in our best interest to go out and look for enemies!

I hope not, but this seems like an obvious attempt to start trouble! I can not see a single other reason why out of the clear blue you would bring that up! I already stated my distaste for agendas!

I do not know who spinner is, but it sounds like you do. Do you have any idea how much trouble this kind of stuff has caused for innocent people around here. I can handle it, but trouble is nothing but trouble!
PG
Not trying to start any trouble. I am nothing more than parent of high school player . No, i dont know who spinner is ...most likely a reincarnation of all the other names who have been booted off . They have claimed to have/had some sort of working relationship with Perfect Game. Personally..i could not believe this to be true, given all of the trouble THEY have caused here. Just thought i would ask you for a yes or no answer . Maybe i should have rephrased the original question ...i dont know . I Thought it was a fair question posed in a decent way . no need to brow beat me over it . Will drop it after this .
Last edited by sulltiger24
quote:
I Thought it was a fair question posed in a decent way . no need to brow beat me over it . Will drop it after this .

sulltiger,

I'm sorry, just found it odd that in a topic about John Ruettiger committing to AZ ST. PG ended up being a controversial topic.

Our only involvement was inviting this talented young player to the PG National last year. One of only two underclassmen invited! And talking to Turtle Thomas about him. Turtle (head recruiter at AZ ST) was at that event in Arkansas.

Must say when I read the Illinois forum about top underclassmen (earlier topic) I was somewhat befuddled why Ruettiger wasn't mentioned more often. He's obviously one of the most talented 08s in Illinois or the rest of the country for that matter.

That is what drew my interest to this topic. I haven't got time to argue about stuff.

And no we didn't do anything to help John Ruettiger become such a good athlete (just in case someone wants to go that direction) We just happened to notice how good he is! And we're happy for him, just like Bill and everyone else who knows John is happy for him.

Once again I'm sorry for being so touchy. You didn't deserve a smart a$$ answer. I just don't like trouble. I have a fairly easy time finding it without any help.
First of all, Congrats to Johnny Ruettiger! Been a top player since before I had grey hair. Secondly, Bill Copp is one of the most unselfish, no is one of two or three of the most unselfish player advocate (coach) that I have every met in over thirty years of involvement in youth baseball.

Thanks Bill for all you have done for my children, children of my friends and unfortunately kinda kidding) the children of those who play against the above mentioned. Thank you for helping #2 son play high school varsity baseball and looking forward to #1 son perform in Arizona starting Sunday with the observations that you offered to him.

You miss a couple days on this site and a postive post goes into such a strange direction. Thats why I spend so much time on the site anymore.

People ask why Bill does not go after the "big dollars" or any dollars sometimes when you are throwing money in his ball bag as you run away from him as he asks why are you giving himso much money (for doing what he loves). As Little Stevie "Orbit" Forbert once wrote and sung..."if you gotta ask your just too ******* slow." Yea, thats it!
Hmmmm....Maybe I've been thinking about this all wrong.

I coached for for about 16 years and never thought about the money!

I'm sure that Coaching the 8 Year Old All-Stars should have gotten me some cash. Why else would I do it? I sure as heck shouldn't have done it because I wanted kids to love baseball.

For sure by the time they were 14 Year Olds, it should have been worth something. At that age they are getting attitudes and their parents are more concerned then ever about the kids getting to the Major Leagues...becoming major pains. And now I hear that the only reason I should have done it was money....and I didn't get any! As a matter of fact it cost me money! What a fool!

Thanks spinner, I am a wiser man now.
Fastball,

Your right....I am so dumb. All the equipment, all the Mc Donalds, all the time away from work, all the gas, all the extra money handouts for this and that, all the " don't worry, it has already been paid." Now that I am mostly semi-retired, as far as youth baseball, it takes a northside "cublet" fan to make me ponder all my lost riches. I guess you NSB are not so bad afterall. Well.....
posted by CoachB25: Schizophrenia? Hey me this is me but I'm not me now I'm someone else but I'll tell everyone I'm talking to me so that I can fool everyone into thinking that I'm not me.

spinner...slurve...schmidt...occasionally "accidentally" used others names and got them in hot water(sorry, Tom)...RG...Kevin...two guys using the same name..? Same guy(lady)that made accusations against well known coach from Cincy travel team to deflect his own criticism? (sorry, Jay) DO WE ALL GET THE PICTURE YET?

PG, I'll pm you with his (their) identity. enough is enough. Whats next, an ID from Ohio? Oops, that already happened.
Last edited by Traveldad
Guys if you would have read the post you would have noticed that i did not question bill as a baseball guy, I question why such a talented guy isn't working with a state contending hs team or college program. You guys spun this. I am taking my medication after a lashing from my wife. You guys have turned her against me. Beverages on me tonight at the goal post!
Fastball I was in trouble with the nuns as early as Pre-school, no matter how much trouble I caused, you know what, I frequently heard when I would go back for a visit, that I was one of their favorites. I have a similar relationship with coach and mn they secretly like me. I was going to make a joke about having undiagnosed childhood ADD, but you know what it isnt funny. I was helping a friend coach a team of 7th and 8th graders, after practice apparently some of the kids were picking on one of the boys the kid began banging his head against a tree, we didn't know what to do, if he was having a seizure or what. Came to find out the kid had ADHD attention deficit hyperactivity disorder which the parents failed to disclose or that he was on medication for it or what we should do or how we should respond to an episode. So that being said no more jokes on that subject. The only medication I may take is something after the party Sat night! More like Sunday morning.
quote:
Our only involvement was inviting this talented young player to the PG National last year. One of only two underclassmen invited! And talking to Turtle Thomas about him. Turtle (head recruiter at AZ ST) was at that event in Arkansas.

PG,

I thought Mr. Thomas is the hitting coach and (please excuse my spelling if it is wrong) Mr. Stankiewicz is the head recruiter.
News Release: June 2006

Baseball Names Turtle Thomas Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator
Two-time National Champion has made 13 College World Series appearances
June 30, 2006
TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona State University Head Baseball Coach Pat Murphy has named Turtle Thomas as the team's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator, the baseball program announced today. Thomas comes to Arizona State after serving in the same capacity for LSU for the previous seven seasons.
Thomas is no stranger to big-time college baseball, having coached for perennial powers Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami in addition to LSU. He has been a part of two national championship teams and 13 College World Series teams over his 29-year collegiate coaching career.
"This is a big-time addition to our baseball program," said Pat Murphy. "Turtle Thomas has coached in some of the most tradition rich schools in the country, and that will continue here at Arizona State. He is a proven winner, and he has shown that he can recruit with the best of them."
Thomas is considered one of the nation's finest college baseball recruiters, as Collegiate Baseball has ranked his previous 18 recruiting classes at Miami and LSU among the Top 10. Four times he has had the #1 ranked recruiting class, the only recruiter in the country to do so. He has also had the #2 recruiting class four times. He has signed Major League Baseball stars Alex Rodriguez and Chipper Jones to National Letters of Intent, and has recruited and coached big leaguers Charles Johnson, Pat Burrell, Aubrey Huff and Danny Graves among others. Over 60 of Thomas' recruits have gone on to play professional baseball.
Thomas joins Andy Stankiewicz as the new members of the Arizona State baseball coaching staff. Tim Esmay will be the Assistant Head Coach and Jeff Mousser will also remain on the staff as a Graduate Manager.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.