Skip to main content

Question is asked many times on this board about the chance to be scouted and drafted from a DIII program. The answer is an emphatic yes!!! At a DIII doubleheader in Texas last Thursday there were 11 professional scouts most of whom stayed well into the night. As bbscout has said many times, they get paid to find players. If your son can play at a DI and it is a good fit for him then play against the best. If he does not have that going for him find a good DIII that is run like a DI. It really is true--if he can play they will find him.

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TR you need to get off the computer more often and attend some college games.

Alot of college coaches don't tell mlb scouts of their pro prospects that are juniors because they are afraid they will get drafted and sign.

The rocket scientists don't relize the best recruiting tool is to tell HS players how many players that were drafted from their college and how many players reached the Majors.
DRIBBLE

With all due respect to your infinite wisdom---you are wrong !!!!!

I would think that most MLB scouts in the region know who the players are to begin with---- talking to the coach only helps their information bank---I also do not agree with your feelings about college coaches not talking about a junior player just to keep him for another year

I am also curious as to why your sudden rash of posts getting on college coaches ???
Redbird so is your Little League team gonna make it to the LL World Series?
biglaugh

TR, just because you never heard of something does not mean it does not happen. Eek

Alot of clueless people don't ask the player if he wants to sign after his junior year in college. They ask the college coach and the college coach will say no he wants to stay for his senior year, then they wonder why the player does not get drafted greenjump

If a player arrives on campus throwing 94 mph and some clueless coach messes with his mechanics and he nows throws 86-87 mph, and on the DL. if it aint broke, don't mess with it
Last edited by Dibble
quote:
Originally posted by Dibble:
(1)Redbird so is your Little League team gonna make it to the LL World Series?
biglaugh

(2)...If a player arrives on campus throwing 94 mph and some clueless coach messes with his mechanics and he nows throws 86-87 mph, and on the DL. if it aint broke, don't mess with it

(1) yawn..too bad you don't know more about me

(2) you spit out a lot of secondary info. You are a very poor baseball man's version of Mel Kiper. The problem is that you are so far down the line, the info gets screwed up. Either that or you don't know what you hear.
Dibble,
What do your comments and accusations about what "a lot" of coaches do or don't do have in common with a post about one DIII coaching staff in Texas who work their tail off, identify good players and recruit them hard, love their kids, place them in the summer, promote them with scouts with 11 scouts showing up for a DIII game? If you want to trash, at least have some facts and pick an appropriate post to do it. I was pointing out good coaches doing good things and scouts doing their job no matter what the level.
Dibble

A player does not get drafted because the college coach told the MLB scout that he wanted to play his senior year --- hmmmmm...

Sounds a lot more like the scout backed off because he really wasn't that intertested to begin with. Of course the player does not like this scenario so tells everyone it was because of what the coach said.

Let's not be naive. If a scout is REALLY interested he's like a bulldog - if he gives up too easy - you can count on his interest being superficial to begin with.
There may be a coach here and there that does not promote his players, but word travels from other coaches and other scouts about players. To think that a coach tries to protect players is outragous. Now a days with team web pages, message boards and other means of communication the only way to protect a player is to keep him on the bus.
My son will be attending a D-111 in Southern California next year. We've gone to several of the school's games this season and last and there is almost always a scout or two (or more) at every game. We've gotten to know one of them pretty well and he assures us that scouts search far and wide and if you can play, the division you are in doesn't mean much, especially if you're a pitcher. After all, the mound is the same distance from home plate in D-1, D-2, D-3 or JUCO laugh
MLB scouts should ask a player or the player's dad DIRECTLY does he want to sign after his junior year. But some college coaches tell MLB scouts you can't directly talk to the his players. They view MLB scouts as someone that is gonna raid their roster.

Some college coaches are very helpful to MLB scouts and tell them I have one prospect or none, but you need to see this guy on another college.
quote:
TR you need to get off the computer more often and attend some college games.

Alot of college coaches don't tell mlb scouts of their pro prospects that are juniors because they are afraid they will get drafted and sign.

The rocket scientists don't relize the best recruiting tool is to tell HS players how many players that were drafted from their college and how many players reached the Majors.

--------------------------------------------
Any scout who has to ask a College Coach who the prospects are should not be scouting. You can look on a team web site and find out what grade he is in an how old he is.
quote:
MLB scouts should ask a player or the player's dad DIRECTLY does he want to sign after his junior year. But some college coaches tell MLB scouts you can't directly talk to the his players. They view MLB scouts as someone that is gonna raid their roster.

Some college coaches are very helpful to MLB scouts and tell them I have one prospect or none, but you need to see this guy on another college.

I have been doing this a long time, and I call and talk to any player that I have interest in, and it has nothing to do with the College Coach. Some coaches are very helpful and some are not. It makes no difference to me......all I am interested in is the player.
quote:
some college coaches promote their players well some don't. How difficult is to send a college schedule and tell mlb scouts I have a player you need to see, when you have a prospect

I get my schedules off the internet.......have not sent for one from a college coach in years. I would just as soon not have the college coach know of my interest in his players anyway.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.