Skip to main content

My Son is 2026, 6'3", 200 lb, MIF/RHP. Throws T87, 6.88 60 yd, GPA 4.5 and attends a good private college prep HS.

We're currently targeting Ivy, Patriot, Mac, and Big East schools that have good engineering programs. He's gone to several prospect camps this Fall. He seems to get noticed wherever he goes and usually gets pulled aside by coaches at some point. He has been told by three coaches at different programs that they are interested and and want follow him this fall and next spring. Two coaches have given him their cell phone numbers in order to 'start a dialogue'. Another (Ivy) coach sent a very complimentary email about how they loved him and that his skills translate into being able to hit and play middle infield at their level (but no cell phone or email contact since)...

He's since made the effort to reach out to the schools that have shown interest - sending schedules of Fall games he's playing in and sending video. What's strange to me is that these schools have not been responsive at all.

When/how does a player know that a school is really interested?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For the Ivy and Patriot schools, they will demonstrate serious interest when your son has the required ACT/SAT scores and has demonstrated D1 baseball skills.  I very strongly encourage you to research the challenges of a potential D1 engineering major playing college baseball.   There are many.  My son, wife and I had many, many conversations at the dinner table on this topic.

Also, there are many  HSBBWeb threads on the topic.  If you have specific questions, feel free to drop me a private message.  I have a soft place in my heart for engineering majors who want to play college baseball.

Best of luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@PJohn posted:

When/how does a player know that a school is really interested?

When recruiting coordinators and coaches are actively reaching out TO him, personally inviting him to camps, visits, etc that's when you'll know they are interested.  Most of the top 26s are currently committing and making visits currently.  My son's school had six 26's on campus last weekend visiting.

@PJohn

Son being a D1 coach, I know that this is a  pretty busy time with fall instruction and fall practice.   The NCAA has a hold on D1 34 max roster. That makes it tough for both coaches and recruits.

If D1 is your preference, many coaches pass on those interested in engineering. As @fenwaysouth mentioned, there are specific challenges of playing baseball and majoring in engineering. My own player was discouraged when he was recruited many years ago at Clemson.

You might want to scroll through rosters to get an idea on majors for each program. I know someone going through the same process and his focus is now IVY and D3.

@Master P posted:

When recruiting coordinators and coaches are actively reaching out TO him, personally inviting him to camps, visits, etc that's when you'll know they are interested.  Most of the top 26s are currently committing and making visits currently.  My son's school had six 26's on campus last weekend visiting.

Yeah, I think he is a bit of a 'tweener'. Not throwing hard enough yet to be seriously recruited as a RHP. Not sure what D1 looks for in a MIF but those spots are way more competitive.

Boy does @fenwaysouth seem custom tailored for your situation!

Those are SOLID metrics BTW. Some thoughts, observations, and questions based on recent trends Ive noticed.

Patriots have still been committing '25s in past month. Do not feel like you're late to the party there. Your metrics as is are right in their wheelhouse as well. I "want" to say Lehigh, which has phenomenal engineering program, HAS had players survive the major.

Consistent with what MasterP and TPM say, Big East schools are actively recruiting NOW. Not sure they'd be excited about recruiting an engineering major.

My guess is some of the Ivies are kicking tires on 26's now and building their follow lists. Having an ACT or SAT score, particularly a good one, ASAP cant hurt here.

Some questions. Is your son playing in Ft Myers this weekend?  (hopefully weather holds out!)

Is your son young, average or old for graduation year?

His size and play positions (MIF/RHP) make him desirable presuming continued progress. If he has effective secondary pitches & pitchability, as he gets closer to the magic 90 he will start to generate strong interest from at least 2 of the mentioned conferences. I think 6.88 is plenty fast for those same conferences, and more of the schools actually seeing your son play in person, especially if he can hit, will generate more. With smaller rosters, these schools place a premium on 2-ways, esp up the spine of the defense and even more with MIFs. I've seen multiple MIF/Pitchers recruited in the same class with presumption that they can be moved around and play almost anywhere.

It sounds like your son is DEFINITELY in the mix, and the coaches are being sincere... they're going to follow his "progress", which inherently implies they're hoping for a little more, whether that's academically (standardized tests) or athletically (>/= 90mph)

Last edited by GratefulNTXlurker

Boy does @fenwaysouth seem custom tailored for your situation!

Those are SOLID metrics BTW. Some thoughts, observations, and questions based on recent trends Ive noticed.

Patriots have still been committing '25s in past month. Do not feel like you're late to the party there. Your metrics as is are right in their wheelhouse as well.

Consistent with what MasterP is saying, Big East schools are actively recruiting NOW. Not sure they'd be excited about recruiting an engineering major.

My guess is some of the Ivies are kicking tires for 26's now. Having an ACT or SAT score, particularly a good one, ASAP cant hurt here.

Some questions. Is your son playing in Ft Myers this weekend?  (hopefully weather holds out!)

Is your son young, average or old for graduation year?

His size and play positions (MIF/RHP) make him desirable presuming continued progress. If he has effective secondary pitches & pitchability, as he gets closer to the magic 90 he will start to generate strong interest from at least 2 of the mentioned conferences. I think 6.88 is plenty fast for those same conferences, and more of the schools actually seeing your son play in person, especially if he can hit, will generate more. With smaller rosters, these schools place a premium on 2-ways, esp up the spine of the defense and even more with MIFs. I've seen multiple MIF/Pitchers recruited in the same class with presumption that they can be moved around and play almost anywhere.

It sounds like your son is DEFINITELY in the mix, and the coaches are being sincere... they're going to follow his "progress", which inherently implies they're hoping for a little more, whether that's academically (standardized tests) or athletically (>/= 90mph)

Thanks for the feedback. I was/am wondering if part of the reason that we haven't heard much is because of the realities involved with HA schools. He is starting an SAT prep class this week and he will take the test soon after.

My Son has been targeting the camps of schools within 4 hours or us that have engineering. I am considering a showball or headfirst HA type of showcase early next year. What is going on in Ft. Myers this weekend that we should have considered?

My Son's birthday is 2/7/2008, so I suppose he'd be a little young for his grade.

He is doing all the 'right things' - lifting, long tossing, working with a hitting / pitching coach, eating like a horse...

Thanks for the great feedback.

I'd be patient about getting replies, as now is a busy time of the fall for these programs.  There's generally a slower period from around Thanksgiving to Jan. 1 where you might be able to get a reply from coaches.  I know that Ivy coaches are doing fall scrimmages and getting their final 2025s  (i.e. college class of 2029!) to finish the application process right now.   They are also finalizing spring travel.  When the weather turns and students need to focus on finals, you might get more of a response.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.