Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PG,

I asked Taylor this question earlier today, but maybe it's something you would be willing to share your thinking about.

The current issue of Baseball America ran a note about the Blue Jays and the Astros cooperating on building a joint spring training complex in Palm Beach Gardens, which is south of Donald Ross Stadium in Jupiter by only maybe 8-10 miles and roughly halfway between Jupiter and PBI airport.

What this got me to wondering is, once this facility were to get up and running, what would be the disposition towards expanding the fall WWBA 18u tourney to maybe double the number of teams there?  I know a lot of teams (ours included) would love to see the field opened up to where they could get in.

Just wondering whether you would do that, similarly to the growth of the 17u Ft. Myers event, or whether the preference would be to keep it smaller and all on one site.

I definitely will. It looks like we play you at 3:00. You have a great roster.  We are the showcase team for this tournament. Everyone has been assigned innings ahead of time. My son will be playing 1st the second half of the game. He's just happy to finally get to play in this tournament and to play against the great competition. 

It's funny... I love reading posts in topics such as this one.  It may be a glimpse into the future for my son.  Maybe not.  He'll hopefully be down there playing in this event in 2-3 years.  

A lot of unknowns over the next 3+ years.  But I am enjoying it.

And thanks to you good folks I'll have someone to lean on when we need an answer.

Best of luck to everyone down there.

My son told me that a lot of the kids on his team tried to hold out and go to Jupiter uncommitted.  Personally I am glad that there are a lot of pro prospects and and Big D1 commits playing, so is my son.  As a pitcher he wants to face these types of players to be challenged and show that he can play against the top recruited talent, as I am sure are many of the other kids....seems to be that is what drives them. 

Son's back for his second trip.  This is an amazing experience that every kid wants and works toward.  Match up against the best, show the pro scouts why they should follow you in the spring.  For me I like to people watch.  Never new this many people make a living scouting baseball, watch out for the golf carts they are in a hurry going from field to field.

Originally Posted by lefthookdad:
RRRR....SF Elite knocked off my sons team, Atlanta Blue jays tonight 1-0, with a combined 1 hit between both teams....must have been a great game to watch!!!!!!!
Didn't stick around to watch this, but Touki Toussaint had 5 K's in two innings pitched...or something like that.  Looking forward to meeting the team tomorrow.
Last edited by Who's on First?
Originally Posted by Who's on First?:
RRRR....SF Elite knocked off my sons team, Atlanta Blue jays tonight 1-0, with a combined 1 hit between both teams....must have been a great game to watch!!!!!!!
Didn't stick around to watch this, but Touki Toussaint had 5 K's in two innings pitched...or something like that.  Looking forward to meeting the team tomorrow.

Yep, when Touki is on, he has some nasty stuff.  My son told me that he gave up a cpl of walks and a wild pitch K, which should have been the third out, and I think that is how they got their run.

To the question of how you can get to Jupiter:

1.  Look at the teams playing, then make it a point to try out for one of them.

2.  PG has always had squads at this event comprised of individual players who pay an individual player fee.  The number of these teams has dwindled in recent years but it looks to me like there's still at least one of them this year.

3.  PG also has a few trusted coaches who build a PG team by taking the core of their own travel team and then adding some players put together by them and PG.  I think PG Dark Green is Coach Merc's "Clippers-Plus" team this year, correct me if I'm wrong.

4.  A highly regarded player can ask PG to help him find a team that needs someone at his position for the event.  This is most common for high level pitchers but it happens for a number of individual players each year.

But to be clear, there is no guarantee that you can go just because you want to.  Someone else has to think you're good enough.

Originally Posted by Who's on First?:

Yep, when Touki is on, he has some nasty stuff.  My son told me that he gave up a cpl of walks and a wild pitch K, which should have been the third out, and I think that is how they got their run.

According to PG yesterday he already had 7 K's with 2 outs in the 2nd....and had 24 in 8 innings the past 2 years.  Not sure how it went after that...but that's kind of impressive....lol

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.