Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Top Tier players

Mark Bennett(Prov, SS/2b)- Northwestern
John Ely (HF, pitcher)- Miami, Ohio
Joe Dunigan (St. Ignatius- OF)- Oklahoma

Heard rumors about pitchers, Shane Zegarac and Blake Anderson, but I don't know if they are true or not. I also understand pitcher, Gary Perinar will announce where he will sign shortly. Last I heard, 3B Phil Babich is committed to Cincinatti for football and 2 sport star Chris Rodriguez is still deciding between football and baseball. Schutzbach and Brown have offers but are still looking.
I don't get what the big deal about (name deleted by moderator---no personal bashing here) is? He is so overrated. He has tools to be good, but he does not use them correctly. He is a monster, yet all he does is ground out to the pitcher or strike out, he is very over rated. He has not shown me anything, and the fact that he is invited to all these national things and is ranked #1 in the state and stuff makes me sick. I would take a kid like Petrulis or Perinar in a second before I recruited (???). Sure he has talent, but I hope he is ready to sit for 2 years cause once he gets there, the BS rankings he gets now will mean nothing.

Last edited {1}
justbeinghonest...I have no idea who you are referring too as far as being overrated...and I really don't know any of the players posted on here really well, but I can tell you one thing, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU OR I THINK ABOUT A PLAYER...IT IS WHAT THE SCHOOL THAT RECRUITS HIM THINKS!!!!plain and simple...
everyone gets opportunities that they deserve to get, NO COLLEGE is going to give a kid anything they don't think he is worth....remember, this is THEIR job and I am sure they all want to keep them.
If you are disappointed...look in the mirror
use...Right now he's a "tools" guy and that is likely the reason for professional baseball interest in him at this time.

Has a nice arm and is a better than average runner--one he gets going.

The bat speed is already there. The maturity and strength are already there. He just needs to play the game (repetitions). Because he has "raw" baseball skills, you are likely to see extremes (great one day and disappearing the next). Needs some polish.

Would sure like to cheer for someone from Chicagoland in the big leagues some day. Not enough from around here...in my opinion.

---

Have to be careful with "performances" at showcases and in high school. At Team One, many watched and weren't impressed with the weak ground balls to the pitcher or the ground ball single to right. While most scouts watched and noted how hard he hit the ball on the line to center that was caught for an out. To a pro scout, that out was more impressive than anything else. To a parent, most just noted it as a time at bat without a hit.

All in the eyes and experience of the person watching the player.

Just like parents getting carried away with their son throwing 78-80 and getting kids out in high school. Most high school kids are impatient hitters and want the velocity pitch, i.e., the fastball at 82-85. When a kid doesn't look good against the 78-80 pitcher, everyone cringes. When he drills the ball against the fastballer, parents say that is luck.

More later.

Last edited {1}
In my opinion, he and Williams are definitely professional prospects.

Williams has to be one of the fastest players in the nation from home to first. A plus outfield arm, too. He should abandon his switch hitting and stay left.

--

Dee and UIC rising to the top of Illinois baseball. Big time recruiting. Big time collegiate baseball setting. When the Player of the Year from Wisconsin comes to Illinois when he can go almost anywhere, that tells you something about the program and its direction.

I believe, too that they are heavily recruiting a top outfielder from Illinois and if they get him from the Class of 2004, it should be another "banner" class.

--

Agree with you, injuns. Plus, Mike is a nice guy, too.
Last edited {1}
Great question regarding top programs in the state regardless of level. My vote is as follows:
1) UIC- keep getting better, maybe this year they can take the next step and end someones season at the regional
2) Southern Illinois- does most of their recruiting down state, but still has a quality product each year and plus they play in the under rated MVC.
3) Eastern Illinois- Had a great team a couple years back. Should be in the hunt this year in the OVC.
4) U of Illinois- I see them getting better over the next 2-3 years.

Honorable Mentions- St Xavier, Illinois State, and St Francis
i'll admit ISU did have a good fresh. recruiting class with bolt, kopach, o'brien, walk on brian wilkin, and from what i have heard there are others too....st. xavier also had a good class with pigs, mcguire, quiqley....eastern included ryan campbell, joe hernandez, vaculik, long, manns....just was wondering on some other big state school's fresh. that might make an impact
Beenthere....
First off congrats,secondly who did Ryan stay with when he was at Princeton because a very good friend of mine is a freshman middle infielder there and I was just curious if they might have stayed together.

"I throw the ball right down the middle. The high-ball hitters swing over it and the low ball hitters swing under it" ---Saul Ragovin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.