Skip to main content

Lists are a lot of fun for us parents who like to brag on our kids. And if your son is listed, it can give you a door opener with the college he has his hopes set on. But make no mistake, the college coaches will want to see the boy in person and decide for themselves.

I do agree, ranking 10-13 year olds is absurd. First of all, too few kids that age are out and about for you to know how they really stack up. The best you can do is rank the kids who travel the country, and there aren't that many at that age. Secondly, puberty changes a lot of things both physically and emotionally.

For my money, any attempt to project a player before he's 15 is silly. I've lost count of the number of kids I know who looked great as kids but never made their HS teams, much less became prospects. Some of them even lose interest in baseball all on their own.

I do think that you can accomplish a lot in the 15-16 age brackets if you dedicate yourself to it. In the current environment, waiting until junior year and the summer following to try to get on the RADAR screens of major college programs may be risking losing out to someone who's not necessarily better than you, but who just got there first.
Midlo Dad- I agree 100% that a list can help open eyes. The key word there is help. Find me a college coach that gives out scholarships just from reading lists and I'll run my own showcase and just say I throw 100 mph...I've found my own name on this list; on several lists, and I know there's probably loads of guys that are a lot more talented than me and loads more (hopefully) that aren't. So maybe a coach reads the list- then he'll make it a point to come and watch the kid play. But just because you're on a list doesn't mean you can bank on that, you still need to show yourself.

Midlo- I'm sure Wake came and saw your son play before deciding to make a commitment to him. Rankings and lists help, but seeing him is most important, correct?

I don't think I ever extended congratulations to you and him for the commitment, by the way, so congratulations.

...and thank you, TR.
Last edited by J H

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.