Skip to main content

my son , brad goldberg from beachwood ohio has verbally comitted to coastal carolina. yes it is possible to get out of midwest and play ball in the south, his dream has come true. he is a rhp, 6'4" 220 lbs, is there anybody else here that has committed to coastal this early as well or is there anybody here who goes to coastal or has a kid that does? thanks, mg
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

dear hitahomer1, thanks for telling me about drew thomas at coastal, my son was there for 3 days and fell in love with the coastal baseball program and all the caoches, drew happens to be the pitching coach and my son is a pitcher. my sons dream has come true as to break out of the midwest and play ball in the south is not an easy thing to do. coastal is the right place for him and we are thrilled about it, and yes we have only heard great things as well, thanks for the message, mg
to florida pitch: you may have met my ex husband at a showcase, brad my son did mostly perfect game but a few others, may i ask why you say you are sorry he signed so soon? i am his mother and may i ask who you are? he would have loved to explore other opportunities in the south but breaking out of the midwest is very very difficult, he always had his eye on coastal and went there and felt it was a perfect match, very recently we have had other people say the same to us that he committed too early and i dont know why, his dream has come true, hope to hear back from you as to who you are i maybe met you also as i did most of the traveling with brad, thanks,mg7158
I played my college ball under some of these coaches and had the honor of seeing Coastal's Head Coach in action as my assistant coach at USC-Aiken in 1987-89. He is one of the very best coaches I have ever met. It was an honor getting to know Coach Gilmore in his early coaching years. I was even more fortunate to excel for "Gilly" and help win close to ONE HUNDRED GAMES in two seasons. He motivated me to heights unknown. If there is a such thing as a zone, I was in a higher zone than that zone. It was a utopian experience that I will not soon forget. I was blessed.

Your son made the right choice, IMHO. Coastal Carolina is the place to be and don't be surprised if they make it to Omaha this year. peace shep
quote:
Originally posted by mg7158:
midlo dad, i was told a kid named taylor motter from central florida reneegades was new ss when my son goes i keep hearing about all these players , whatever, my son is going and is very happy with his choice, thanks, mg

mg,
Position players still have to compete for a position when they arrive, just as pitchers have to compete for time on the mound. An example, two players came to son's team in 2004, both top ranked ss who competed for the position. One became the ss, the other 2nd base. Anyone thinking that they are going to play the same position they did in HS will be most unhappy if that is what they beleive. I don't beleive coaches, good coaches, promise players positions until they win that position over others.
i guess all i can say about all this coastal talk is go chanticleers with all your new 2008 signees. hope to get to omaha with all of them wherever they play their best to help the team and what ever the coaches think, i am very happy with my sons decision to be a part of this team. it is so refreshing to hear about all these players coming to coastal from all over the usa, mg
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Baseball Guy:
The main reason that Taylor Motter went to Coastal was because he will be the starting shortstop. Tommy Weingartner is a good player and will play 2B and pitch when he gets to Myrtle Beach.

Motter turned down several SEC offers to attend CC.

I was wondering how you knew this?
Don't players have to try out for their positions?
Doesn't CC have a ss?
TPM,

Motter plays for the Central FL Renegades - the team I coach in the summer. The coaches at Coastal are very honest and forthcoming. They expect their SS (Cleveland Dad's son)to be drafted, but if he is not he will move to 3B so Taylor can take the SS position.

Taylor is one of the top shortstops in Florida and he is going to one of the best programs in the nation. He was very complimentary of Cleveland Dad's son and the way he treated Taylor on his visit. They got along great - which shows how classy Cleveland Dad's son is.

The motto at Coastal is to get to Omaha and bring back a ring. With the coaches and players they have there I expect that they will be in Omaha shortly.

We hope to have Brad Goldberg on the Renegades as well in addition to one or two other Coastal signees. I think anyone who has committed to this program has put themselves in a position to win a NCAA title. Congrats to all.

A note to TPM: I know you love Clemson and they are a good program, but there are other good programs in South Carolina.
Last edited by Florida Baseball Guy
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Baseball Guy:
A note to TPM: I know you love Clemson and they are a good program, but there are other good programs in South Carolina.

Bob,
The above was a silly statment. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Clemson. And nothing to do with the coaches at coastal or any player.

This has to do with how YOU, can make such a statment on the coaches behalf, on the player's behalf, on a public forum, to determine who will have what position in the spring of 2009.
Last edited by TPM
Coach Pincus - thanks for the kind things you have said about my son Smile

Look, I do agree with TPM on this one. Some things are probably better left unsaid on the public forum. When we promote one kid over another and vice versa we are probably doing a disservice to one person or another. I have no idea what the future holds but this much I am sure of, the competition between players will decide who plays where in 2009. FWIW - I believe my son has met every kid who has been mentioned in this thread and he speaks very highly of each one of them.
I don't normally like to do this, but I am going to close this thread.

One reason is because I know the CD feels very uncomfortable when his son is mentioned on the HSBBW. Another reason, some of the statments made in this thread were done very irresponsibly and I don't really think it is fair that players be compared with one another, especially when some have not yet set foot on a college field, it does do each and and every one a disservice to their ability and to the coaches who have recruited them.

Congratulations to all of the CC signees.
Last edited by TPM
Link copied to your clipboard.