Skip to main content

Ok with all 4 regional championships to be decided Monday night, here's what we know so far:

- All 16 partcipants have been determined
- We know in the 1st Rd. National vs. Patriot and Liberty vs. Concorde
- We know the 8 teams that will be traveling and the 8 that will be hosting their 1st rd. games
- We know 8 of the 16 seeds, these teams will travel in the 1st Rd.:

(C3)Chantilly
(L3)Marshall
(N3)Edison
(P3)Lake Braddock

(C4)Centreville
(L4)WT Woodson
(N4)Washington & Lee
(P4)TC Williams

- The 1 & 2 seeds will be determined by the results of Monday night's district championships and they will all host their 1st Rd. games:

Concorde: Westfield vs. Robinson
Liberty: McLean vs. Stone Bridge
National: Yorktown vs. Mt. Vernon
Patriot: West Springfield vs. South County

If I have any of this wrong, please correct me, and good luck to all of the teams...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I may have forgotten, but I think Concorde swept National last year in round 1. It's not that unusual if it happens. Demographics make it hard for National to compete consistently in baseball.

Their coaches do a lot with much less than most other teams. Mt Vernon, Yorktown, W&L, and Edison are the tops, but the others are very very weak.
You're correct, Spartan81: Concorde swept National last year in round 1, including Concorde #4 Robinson defeating National #1 Yorktown 5-0 (Yorktown had been undefeated in the National district). Of the four districts in the NR, the National tends to be the weakest year-to-year; but this year has been a little different, and I'd expect both Mount Vernon and Yorktown to be more competitive than the National teams were last year against the Concorde.

Bottom line: nobody should take anybody lightly this time of year...
Last edited by gr8day4bsbll
Westfield 4, Robinson 0 in Concorde championship. Danny Thorpe for Westfield gave up only 3 hits and had 10 K's, and Ryan Williams shut the door in the 7th with a 1-2-3 inning. On the Robinson side, Michael DelBuono threw a solid game, yielding only 5 hits and 1 BB with 5 K's, but Westfield made their hits count by moving runners around when it mattered.

So, half of the bracket for 1st round of NR tourney is set: Westfield (C1) hosts Woodson (L4); Robinson (C2) hosts Marshall (L3); Stone Bridge (L2) hosts Chantilly (C3); and McLean (L1) hosts Centreville (C4). All games on Friday.
quote:
I'd expect both Mount Vernon and Yorktown to be more competitive than the National teams were last year against the Concorde.

Bottom line: nobody should take anybody lightly this time of year...

Agree, nobody should be taken lightly. The National might have gotten swept last year but I dont think it was completely lopsided. MV was one error away from knocking off #1 seed Chantilly. MV faced both D1 pitchers and only lost the game by 2, to me that is pretty close and competitive.

Both Y'town and MV play solid D and will take advantage of mistakes, both clubs are solid. Y'town won last night 2-1 in another great pitchers duel. Kyle pitched all 7 and got the win and Wyatt Carpenter of MV went the distance for the L. MV let opportunities slip by once again and was one key hit from busting the game wide open.
Last edited by BBallJunkie
SC and WS are tied 3-3 in the 15th...Yes that's correct..WS's Renner was robbed of a homer in the bottom of the 14th by rightfielder Digby who leaped elbow-high over the fence to bring the ball back into play. Then WS loaded the bases with one out and failed to score. The game will be finished(hopefully) tonight, starting @ 7:00. Both Miller and Kent threw 9 innings each and Wahl(starter) and Harasin threw 5 each respectively. Nobody deserves to lose this game...
quote:
Originally posted by 19MajorDad24:
quote:
Originally posted by ball4:
Does anyone have the W/L record for the season on the the Patriot District opponents?

I got this from the MV sports web site. Their record is 15-8. I didn't check the other school's web sites.

8 loses by a combined 15 runs for MV.
Only patriot team played in regular season was Annandale, lost 15-10.
quote:
Originally posted by BBallJunkie:
8 loses by a combined 15 runs for MV.
Only patriot team played in regular season was Annandale, lost 15-10.

True, their losses were close and as you mentioned a few weeks ago, they played a tough out of conference schedule.

Although Annandale was in the lower half of the district, they were a very well coached team that over-achieved and played hard.
I have filled out my bracket and here's the way I see it:

In the upper half of the bracket I have Westfield over Woodson, barely. That one will be closer than you might think and I would not be shocked if Woodson pulled the upset. Yes, I understand Westfield is #1 in the polls.

South County bounces back after the 2-day marathon with WS and will defeat Edison rather handily I suspect.

Lake Braddock will get by Mt. Vernon on the road in what would be a mild upset according to the seeding, but I think LB will rebound from a disappointing loss to SC in the Patriot semis. They are rested and Rutherford will have them ready.

I like McLean to get by Centreville. This is a 1 vs. 4, but I don't see a blowout here.

So in the top half, that gives me Westfield v. SC, and McLean vs. LB.

LB is young, but the X factor is Rutherford, and they are the defending champs...they find a way to get to the semis.

Westfield has lost only once this year. Their pitching has been lights out, but it is young pitching. Will they get rattled on the big stage against possibly the most dangerous hitting team in the region? If Miller is available for SC and pitches anywhere close to the way he did against WS, i'm taking SC over Westfield. If not, all bets are off. For the bracket's sake I have LB vs. SC in one semifinal.

In the lower half I have WS over W&L, and Robinson over Marshall. I have Chantilly over Sone Bridge in what I think is easily the best !st Rd. matchup, and I have Yorktown over TC. The National district does not seem to get much respect but Yorktown will win that one.

So Robinson gets a home game vs. WS, but I think WS advances in a close game, and I like Chantilly over Yorktown..no good reason, just a hunch. So that would set up a rematch of last year's semi with Chantilly v. WS.

So my final four are:
LB
SC
WS
Chantilly

In my bracket I have LB over SC and WS over LB, with WS emerging as the champion.

How does your bracket compare???
Great analysis. Not much here to disagree with, but let me think about it some more... Razz

By the way, if Robinson and WS do face each other at Robinson in Round 2, that will be the second year in a row for that matchup in the 2nd round. In last year's game, Bobby Wahl had his coming out party as WS won 1-0; if I remember right, Wahl held Robinson to 3 hits, and got big help from Jeff Haeuptle who made an incredible acrobatic catch after Michael DelBuono of Robinson smashed one to deep CF with a runner on 2nd, and Andy Stallings got WS's only run with a walk-off single in the bottom of the 7th.

Looking forward to a great tourney...
I guess that says it all....I went 7 for 8 in my 1st round picks....
Is there anyone out there who has some baseball knowledge or wisdom, could you please tell me who made the deals to keep a kid out of the all-region team who hit .404 with 7 homers and 38 rbi's. Someone who lead the region in homers and rbi's should NEVER be left off the all-region team...How does a kid from a 11-13 school who hit 20 points lower with 4 less homers and 27 less rbi's make it over a kid from a 17-6 team with those numbers. Politics aside, someone should be held accountable. I have lost all confidence in high school coaches who lie about stats to get their kids on the team and coaches who don't go to bat for their own kids.. Thank god it's almost over.....
At Madison High School
- Westfield vs South County (1pm)
- Lake Braddock vs Centreville (4pm)

At Robinson High School
- West Springfield vs Robinson (1pm)
- Chantilly vs T.C Williams (4pm)

I think this is a split; I like Chantilly and WS and LB as clear favorites. Do not know a lot about TC, WS can throw Kent or Wahl and Centreville is lost with out Ashooh on the mound. Westfield is playing well and I like them but figure this to be the best game in the quartet. You have to figure South County is the third best team left.
I think the weak links for Patriot District are Lake Braddock and TC.

But I'm rooting for both of them nevertheless. Lake Braddock has outstanding coaching - TC has raw talent.

Bull Pens are shallow for both. WS & SoCO seem to have a never ending string of rubber arms.

But I have not seen the competition, so I'm open to discussion.

Thoughts?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.