Skip to main content

Someone from one of the teams will be updating the site at www.scorebook.com/dvalb

District Winner's that will be in State Tourney :

02 - Post 60 Norfolk

03 - Post 75 Gloucester

09 - Post 68 New River Valley

11 - Post 137 South Richmond

12 - Post 74 Albemarle

16 - Post 53 Front Royal

17 - Post 139 Arlington

Host Team - Post 244 Glen Allen

Tuesday, July 28th :
Game #1 Post 60 Norfolk vs. Post 53 Front Royal @ 10am
Game #2 Post 75 Gloucester vs. Post 137 South Richmond @ 1:00pm
Game #3 Post 68 New River vs. Post 74 Albemarle @ 5:00pm
Game #4 Post 139 Arlington vs. Post 244 Glen Allen @ 8:00pm

29th :
Game 05 - L1 vs. L2 (10am)
Game 06 - L3 vs. L4
Game 07 - W1 vs. W2 (5pm)
Game 08 - W3 vs. W4

30th :
Game 09 - L7 vs. L6 (10am)
Game 10 - L8 vs. W5
Game 11 - W7 vs. W8 (5pm)
Game 12 - W9 vs. W10

31st :
Game 13 - L11 vs. W12 (10am)
Game 14 - W13 vs. W11

Aug. 1st :
Game 15 - "IF" game (10am)

> Mid Atlantic Reg'l Tournament: August 6-10 @ Morgantown, WV

> World Series: August 14-18 @ Fargo, ND
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by birddog:
Game 1: Post 60:2 Post 53:0

Strong pitching performance from John Garrett (VMI). Two run HR by Drew Williams (Maury HS). John Beasley (Penn) got the save.

Post 53's highlights from their website:

John King Pitched 8 strong innings only allowing 3 hits. Post 53 had 8 hits and had 11 left on base.

Leading the way was Jordan Hartman going 3 for 4 and Nathaniel Jackson going 2 for 4.
For South Richmond Post 137, Blake Hauser is an Indians draftee signed to VCU. As of right now, the word on the street is he'll show up at VCU. OF Dustin Sollars is a rising soph. at Longwood. SS Bradley Shaban will start at JMU in a month. LHP Hunter Ackerman just recently committed to Louisburg CC in NC.

I hear that 3B Joey Cujas has received a few offers, but IMHO he is still under the RADAR in terms of his capabilities. Gold Glove defender who can really hit. Gap-to-gap power, figures to be a doubles guy in college initially, then grow into the fence distances to add HR's over time.

I would think both Chris and Augie Ayers would sign somewhere eventually. Chris I think is a rising senior, Augie a ... junior? Not sure on that one.
The Richmond team only has 2 players out of the starting line up that cannot come back next year. They are young with some very good arms, matter of fact this team is the same team that went to the legion world series last year less Bradley Shaban brother Ronnie. This team has more pitching than last years team and over all the younger players have carried on a tradition hard nosed baseball.This line up top to bottom really has no holes & defensivley is strong, having said that all of these teams are only one dominant pitching performance away from leaving. I like South Richmond, defense,hitting,pitching and a will to win. Hard combination to beat. This team will stand toe to toe with any travel/legion team in the county. Don't be surprised to see them advance.
South Richmond stayed in the winners' bracket with a 12-2 win over Norfolk Post 60 this evening, finished in 7 innings again. An 8-run 4th broke it wide open. 137 is in great shape pitching wise. They seem to be overmatching their opponents offensively. Not sure who all is still in the field but I have to think the defending champs are heavy favorites right now.
don't kid yourself, D1 players at each position, pitching staff to compare with lots of D1 programs. Travel team? doesnot really mean great team. There are a bunch of very good travel team and this squad would compare the top 10 squads. Give the kids there dues just because it;s not travel doesnot mean they cannot compete. Bring the over rated/paid travel guys, this is more like what youth baseball was and is and should be about. Bunch of local guys strapping the cleats up and going after the cross town guys. Enjoy youth baseball thats not about the MONEY.
I agree with flame thrower. Legion can (not always) field some really solid teams -- lots of college players coming out for a local community experience. It's certainly been the most fun baseball for me to watch simply because of the community feel. I know that Midlo is referring to really elite travel teams as a comparison. Certainly not all travel teams are elite anymore. The profusion of travel baseball has killed the community leagues -- goodbye Babe Ruth.
nomadad reference to soft hits over the infield I guess maybe if you are a post 60 supporter, might ease the pain of being 10 runned, but what about the the laser shots to the out field that were hit at people & over people. Such a small field most of those shots on a regular size field would have been doubles in the gap. The Richmond post 137 was hands down the better team nothing against post 60 and maybe next year but don't try to figue out, post 60 score 2 runs on a error by the centerfielder that was not recorded as a error because he didnot touch it but was right on it. Give Post 137 there dues.
abcbaseball: most of post 137 players have played on the best travel teams in the county and have elected to spend the summer with post 137. Post 137 have Richmond braves,North Hurricanes 2 of the better travel teams in the country 6 of there starter have been players on those teams,just because it is legion doesnot mean it is a lower level. Come out and watch and judge as the 10 or so college coaches were last night. Hands down the best 18 under team in the state, bar none.
Believe me flame thrower I have watched many a D1 or D3 player on the District 17 legion teams, as well as an MLB draftee. I love legion. I believe that Post 137 is a really good team just from your posts and those of others.

Hurricanes, Richmond Braves aside, I do think it's a shame that community leagues have taken a tremendous hit because of the defection to all too numerous travel teams that are not necessarily better than the good Babe Ruth teams of old. That was my point.

Currently, I think talented players return to legion when their college plans are set and they are seeking a somewhat lower key summer than the travel teams offer. it's fun baseball.
Absolutely agree with the comments about Legion baseball. My observations have been that the legion teams have a much better collegial spirit than some of the "elite" travel teams I've seen play. While egos are always an issue on any team, regardless of the sport, the kids playing legion ball have typically been playing with and against one another locally since little league days. They compete on the field and then hang out together after the game.

The travel teams that draw from across geographic markets have their place, but they don't have the local flavor of legion baseball and tend to be more mercenary in their approach. Grabbing the brass ring of the professional draft or an offer from a big D1 program is a great accomplishment. But let's face it...how many players players (and parents!!) spend a chunk of money that could other wise be spent on tuition after high school running all over the country in search of that brass ring?

The legion district and state tournaments showcase some of the best baseball talent I've seen.
Flame,you are headed in the wrong direction my compliment to 137 as good players was to avoid your reply.I have followed Midlo's posts for a while and could tell you were passionate about 137,respectfully.Midlo has walked this road and truely has a D-1 player.(as comparison)I rely on his word in that area and respect it.Soft hits were not adverse to the team hits ,just sounded better than bloopers,as told to me.I did not see the game ,so I was questioning my source with Midlo's straight forward approach.Sorry for the confusion.Grow-up!and stop y'r blabbering.
having said it about the talent of post 137, legion baseball in general is on its way FUTHER DOWN, at least in this area.It is being run into the ground by the very people who should be promting. The legion directors(veterns)are so set in there ways about travel baseball not being a issue with the lack of participation.Some of the teams will even go as far as banning players from participating with any other teams (travel), so how will these kids get the necessary exposure? In other areas of the country some legion teams operate off of a buget of 100k - 200k, they play 10 legion games and other than the district/state/regional/national legion they are traveling all over with there teams to 1-for there player development 2-exposure. the same can be done here but the rulers refuse. Durng my time of watching legion baseball in district 11 the vast majortiy of the most talented players were playig legion & doing travel . Don't Look for to the future for a change. The old saying really hold true "you can't teach a old dog new tricks" "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" The bottom line if they hold truth WHAT IS BEST FOR THE KIDS they will make the best decision and that is shorten the legion schedule and have 2-3 weekends that those legion teams can participate in some of the team showcase tournament. Iam very pasoniate about this because Travel baseball roots are about the Money!! Perfect Game,World Woood Bat etc. many people are mislead by the personal trainer, travel coach etc that each and every player(if he is paying) will play D1 and Pro, heck they don't even MENTION how exciting D3. How does that happen. ITS ABOUT THE MONEY

Yeah you are right NOMADAD now Iam really blabbering
Dude, we get it! You hate travel teams. You believe that your team is the best team in the state, "bar none". They smoked the ball all day and only gave up two "unearned" runs. This is baseball, last time I checked, and any quality team can win on any given day. Good luck to all the squads left, and let's stop with the "we're the best" talk. We'll know who the best will be very soon... When the games are completed! Good luck, again, everyone.
With respect to last night's game:

Mooney gave up a walk and a 2-strike "seeing eye" hit in the 1st. With 2 outs, the #5 hitter for Post 60 smoked a laser shot to CF. The CF tried to get a bead on it but it knuckled and got under his glove and also under him to go to the wall. I might've scored it a single + an E, not an E all the way, because I think it's tough to assume a catch there. IMHO, one of those runs was earned, though apparently the official scorer saw it differently.

As for what happened after that: Mooney settled in and pitched well. 60 had some stupid AB's that pretty much kept them from mounting any rallies. No one really hit the ball hard for 60 after the first inning. 137 wore the 60 starting pitcher down and broke it open with a big inning.

I didn't see many bloopers. I saw sharp grounders through the SS hole, I saw Bradley Shaban hit a line shot just fair to right, I saw Blake Hauser do the same to left, and I saw the very amazing Joey Cujas hit the very top of the batter's eye to have a would-be HR go for a double. Cujas, by the way, also made the defensive play of the game to turn what looked like a double down the third base line into an out that looked a lot easier than it was because, well, because he was the guy making the play.

I also saw Chris Ayers hit two solid line shots for outs. 60 committed more errors and they hurt more because there were more guys on base already. All in all, 60 was fortunate it was only 12 runs.

I haven't seen any other teams save for 137 and the two teams they've beaten. It appears to me that 137 is a cut or two above the other teams there. This is not so surprising given that they won states and regions last year with much the same cast, and they are drawn from one high school that was ranked # 1 in the state AAA poll most of the year (foundered in the playoffs after a 19-0 start) and a second school that has a history of being ranked # 1 in AAA for a lot of the 2008 season. More than many Legion teams, this one has done well in terms of capturing the players they wanted from their high schools, instead of seeing their best pitchers go to play elsewhere.

That being said, with respect to comparing them to a travel team, I am not comparing them to the sprouting-like-weeds variety of travel teams common through, say, age 14. I'm talking about the kinds of travel teams that exist for ages 17-19, the age group we're talking about. Richmond Braves, Canes, Tidewater O's, Dirtbags. I'm not really aware of their being other types of travel teams in that age cohort. Probably half of 137's roster is at that level, but only about half. If they played all those travel teams, the games might be competitive, but they would win less than half the time, esp. if you got into playing series where you had to go to your 7th and 8th pitcher. Teams like the Braves and the Dirtbags have 7-8 D-1 caliber pitchers. You just don't see that on any Legion team. You can't reasonably expect that when you can only draw from a couple of high schools.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Home run derby tonight. The first several were all pretty legit, but as the game wore on a few scraped the short fences on the way out. I lost count of how many. At least 8 in all. For South Richmond 137, I remember Ayers hit 2, Hauser had 1, Sollars had 1, Cujas had one and a second ball that lined off the fence-top screen to miss being a grand slam by about 6 inches. For Charlottesville 74, there were at least 3 that I remember.

The Charlottesville 74 team came in after scoring 36 runs in 2 games, so they were no slouches with the bats. I recognized a few from the Western Albemarle team that came to James River for state quarterfinals in 2008 (the ill-fated lightning-afflicted game).

I wondered if their starting pitcher was the same guy who pitched for them Tuesday. He showed flashes of pretty good stuff, but in the main appeared to labor and just couldn't command his pitches. He was wild at times and wild in the strike zone a lot. Hence, a 9-run 3d inning, which really took the wind out of 74's sails after a solo shot, 2 E's (one scored a hit somehow) and a 2-out grand slam had put them up 5-3. From there on the only question was whether the game would end early. 15-6 after 7, the bullpen was wobbly but closed it out.

Scary moment for 74's catcher, who really played a great game in terms of blocking balls in the dirt all night. In the 8th he took one in the throat and they had to ambulance him to the ER. I heard as I left that they had a report that he'd be OK.

I don't see how 137 doesn't put it away tomorrow. Morrison hasn't even thrown yet and Ackerman is pretty fresh if needed. On the other side, whoever comes out of that 10 a.m. loser's bracket final is going to be out of pitching. I don't know who could stop 137's bats but it won't be someone using their 8th pitcher or someone throwing a kid for the 3d time in 4 days. I'm betting it's over after 7 and probably a pretty miserable time from around the 4th inning on.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.