Skip to main content

Thanks so much to everyone!!! Your kind thoughts and wishes mean so much Smile

Ok... here is my funny or should I say "ironic" story of the day....

I have to be honest, I didn't start following the draft closely until about the 8th round where puma1's son Nick McCully was predicted to be drafted. Nick was drafted in the 9th round by the Cardinals so huge congrats to Nick and puma who are in Myrtle Beach celebrating as we speak! She even provided some Champagne to my son (he is 21) so it has been a great day for all involved....

I have had this feeling of dread since I woke up this morning and my stomach has been upset all day....

Anyhoo... in the 16th round, I called my son and I was panicking and I was feeling terrible for him. I said "Gee, Tyler, I have seen all kinds of kids drafted who I think you are better than and I feel for you. He said "Don't worry keep up the faith" but I think he was putting up a stiff upper lip for me.

All of a sudden I saw two shortstops drafted from non-powerhouse colleges and I looked up their stats and I was like "I cannot believe this???" What and the HELL is going on here! He said, "Dad, go back to work and I am going to go concentrate on something else" OK! and we hung up. At the INSTANT we hung up, (let me repeat for effect) at the INSTANT we hung up, I saw his name show up on draft tracker. I immediately called and said "Congratulations!" He said, "Why?" "I said because you were drafted!" He said, "No!" I said, "Yes" I congratulated him with a few tears on my part and he said he would call me back. I think he wanted to go check draft tracker for himself! He said he has gotten over 100 phone calls today.

The feeling of dread turned to relief for me. I am relieved my son at least gets his shot. I believe he has an average shot. I know how much it meant to him and thus the feelings of relief. And now you know the rest of the story....

BTW, another webster I saw come up was Alex Burg - catcherdad's son. Huge congrats to Alex and family Smile
Congrats to everyone, ClevelandDad, shame on you for jerking tears from an old f*rt like me...

All those cold/hot/rainy/humid days playing double headers with three hours between games, long drives, lessons, rain delays, 'father son moments', etc.

Its all worth it on this day.

Godspeed to all the draftees. May you leave your parents tickets for a MLB game real soon..
I also want to add big cudos for those selected.

Cleveland Dad, a special big shout out to someone like you and your boy, welcome to the Tampa Rays!! Your presence on this site is fantastic, and I am sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Here are some quotes for those who have and will get the chance:

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” -- Henry David Thoreau

“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.” -- Henry David Thoreau

“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.” -- Vincent Van Gogh
quote:
Originally posted by Backstop-17:
I also want to add big cudos for those selected.

Cleveland Dad, a special big shout out to someone like you and your boy, welcome to the Tampa Rays!! Your presence on this site is fantastic, and I am sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thank you so much for your kind words Backstop-17 Smile

Everyone has said the nicest things and it is appreciated!
Thanks to all!! All our best wishes to this crop of kids entering pro baseball!
It is hard to believe , from coke bottle rose colored glasses to fairly informed dad of a good baseball player in 8 short years here.
To Bob who created this treasure chest and to Julie for keeping the treasure polished and to all who add golden nuggets to the chest everyday, our family thanks you !!!

catchersdad
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
This is a very happy time for some, but we should also remember that there are always a much larger number of people who end up being dissapointed with the results of the draft.

This is a great point. I have received dozens of pms along with the well-wishes in this thread but I was a nervous wreck yesterday. Most do not know for sure if their name will be called. I recall last year the heart-break by baseballreggie when his son went undrafted. The kid was a tremendous college player and deserved a chance to prove himself at the next level imho. Bob Howdeshell's son Andy had a fabulous D1 career and did not see his name called. I'll never forget reading of Bob's disappointment and rightly so imho.

It is a humbling experience. It is humbling when you see kid after kid taken who you think in your mind might be less of a player than the one you hope gets called. For me it was relief not joy.

One BIG piece of advice I can give to youngsters because I now know this to be true for a fact. It takes some modicum of talent to get drafted obviously. Beyond that, HUSTLE every moment on the field with determination on your face. Never show a bad attitude. Those things are noticed!!! They might not be enough to get you drafted, but I know for a fact they can keep you from being drafted. The intangibles are enough to get a scout to notice you in the first place. Scouting often takes place over several years. Never allow a scout to see anything but 100% dedication to winning. If you love the game, then show them with your positive attitude.
My son is seeing the drama front and center. He showed up for his game last night with two of his part time coaches (just finished senior year) still on the board. One was told rounds 20-30. He was a bit edgy last night. The one told late in the draft was a little more relaxed. But I could read the tension on both faces.

Then JR goes home and sees one of my friend's son from a major program is still undrafted. He commented it's a bit different than last year when the friend's son we were cheering for and one of his teammates both went in the first round.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
This is a very happy time for some, but we should also remember that there are always a much larger number of people who end up being dissapointed with the results of the draft.

And while we all realize that the dream is usually upward and onward...it is a good time to remind ourselves not to get lost in that dream...it is also a good time to remember what a special opporuntity and experience college ball is. Yes, shoot for the stars, rejoice if/when that opportunity is offered, but thank those same stars everyday for where you are as well...it goes by fast, too fast.

Cool 44

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.