Skip to main content

I did this last year before the 2008 season, and I thought I did an alright job, so I'm going to do it again. I've ranked the Top 15 teams pre-season based on what I've heard around the Chicagoland area. Here it is:

1. Neuqua Valley
2. St. Rita
3. Stevenson
4. Prairie Ridge
5. Lincoln-Way East
6. Edwardsville
7. Brother Rice
8. Illinois Valley Central
9. Schaumburg
10. Oak Park River Forest
11. Benet
12. Wheaton North
13. O'Fallon
14. St. Charles North
15. Carmel

I heard recently that Neuqua Valley, St. Rita, and Prairie Ridge have all been contacted by Baseball America and ESPN 'Rise' for there respective pre-season national rankings. Whether any of these teams actually make the list or not, it's still good that they were either mentioned or contacted about it.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Prairie Ridge has no pitchers on their staff with any considerable varsity experience. How do you give them such a high ranking. I understand that they are defending champs but the nucleus of their team graduated (Martini,Swank,Mitroff,Heesch & Martin)

Cary Grove(Bruns & Nelson) and CL South (Ambrose & Gardeck, Kowalski)have better pitching than PR.

JMO.
Fungo, I have nothing against Minooka or Cary-Grove. In fact, I am a big fan of C-G's team this year, lots of depth on that squad.

I rank Prairie Ridge high for these reasons: They return about four key starters from the state team in LF Will Mack, D-1 catcher Jacoby (Oakland), 2B Ljunggren, who was only a sophomore last year, and another OF, Logan Olson. With the addition of Kevin Kaczmarski to the outfield this year at CF in addition to some speedy reserves, I believe PR has one of the fastest outfields in the state. They also boast a D-1 SS in Dan Rowe (EIU) as well as D-1 bound SP Joe Zwierzynski. While they don't have 3 D1 pitchers like last year they still have some quality pitching.
Last edited by fvcfan08
I really like the LWE squad this year. Saw them a couple times this summer and all they did was hit. Thats a tough lineup from top to bottom and their 3,4 spots are monsters.

Seems like Neuqua Valley is good every year plus they have the experience and a great ace. The Brother Rice team has a lot of experience as well since most of their starters will be 3 year starters.

I wouldn't put Minooka in the top 15 yet. They only have 3 seniors returning, so they will be young. Having said that if the juniors play like they did last year (32-2) they may be in top 15 by the end of the year. But we all know that success at the lower levels does not always translate to the next level.

It should be another great year of baseball in Illinois. We will see what happens. This warm weekend has giving me the itch.

Good luck to everyone and their season.
Yes I agree with you wander, this is a nice little preview of warmth here this week (reaching 60 on Weds.).

Tigercub, according to my sources a couple of Division 1's have interest in Zwierzynski. Some have enough that they may even offer something before the season starts. But if not, in my opinion, based on this spring, I'm sure he will be playing somewhere.
FVC08 - Your prediction is a slap in the face to the 2008 PR pitching staff. You just assume that you can replace three D1 athletes with a completely new pitching staff with virtually zero varsity experience in a tough conference and expect them not to miss a beat? Last year's PR team was in every game because they always got a quality start for every game and many times the same person completed that game. There is no way that you can project this staff to do the same based on what they have accomplished so far. They might have all the potential in the world, but all it is right now is potential.

Tigercub - Don't confuse lighting up radar guns in a tunnel with winning varsity baseball games.
RR- I am total agreement on the radar thing. I do believe that CLS and CG have better pitching than PR.

FVC- Stating someone is D1 because someone who has schools interested and a player who is committed to a D1 are totally different.

I am sure Joe will be playing somewhere also but unless they are signed they are prospects not D1 pitchers.
quote:
FVC08 - Your prediction is a slap in the face to the 2008 PR pitching staff. You just assume that you can replace three D1 athletes with a completely new pitching staff with virtually zero varsity experience in a tough conference and expect them not to miss a beat? Last year's PR team was in every game because they always got a quality start for every game and many times the same person completed that game. There is no way that you can project this staff to do the same based on what they have accomplished so far. They might have all the potential in the world, but all it is right now is potential.

RRF8 what are you talking about? Every ranking is on potential, no slap in the face, I am confident that the 08 team would be proud to see that their program has reloaded.
playball2, I am also sure the 08 PR team would be very pleased that they have reloaded, if indeed that they have. However, it is my belief that FVCFAN08 is taking their accomplishments a little bit for granted. To come back with a staff as strong as last year's with a totally new group is a very lofty expectation. These preseason opinions are just fans throwing out their predictions. FVCFAN08 believes PR will have the best pitching staff in the conference. I believe that they will be forth or fifth, at best. Only time will tell, but it is fun bantering about it in February.
RRF8, I never said that Prairie Ridge had the best staff in the FVC. In fact, I would probably have to give that billing to either Huntley or Cary-Grove at this point in time considering that some question marks remain for the rest of the conference's staffs, including PR. With the exception of Huntley and C-G, but for a lot of these teams in the FVC, PR included, who do they really have after there No.1 guy?

And thank you Playball for the support of my opinions.
Give it a rest Playball 2. I am not associated with PR baseball by any means, but I have a long standing appreciation for some of last year's players. This is friendly baseball banter amongst fans of the FVC, nothing more. When I say slap in the face, I mean that they deserve more respect for their accomplishments. We all know that you are connected to the PR coaching staff, but get off your high horse and let us fans talk preseason baseball.
I think Stevenson is a little overrated. They have three great pitchers, but Sorkin and Robin can be beat and there hitting is very subject. The whole NSC is staked with pitching so they are going to have to score some runs some how.

Libertyville beat Sorkin and a full stevenson squad in the summer playoffs in the first round. They also put up 9 runs on Robin in the spring.Hitting is also a weak spot for stevenson.

Warren and Libertyville are going to compete for the NSC. They are not to far off steveson and could be just as good. Just not he same depth at pitching but have a couple of D-1 arms themselves.
Last edited by fastball09
quote:
This is friendly baseball banter amongst fans of the FVC, nothing more. When I say slap in the face, I mean that they deserve more respect for their accomplishments.

RRF8 What other respect level is there than a state championship? Cmon, don't talk about friendly banter and use the term slapped in the face as a measure of disrespect. Secondly, what does my connection with the PR staff have anything to do with the horse I'm riding. I too am a fan.

Holister3 you are so out of line, hopefully the moderator will drop you asap.
There is absolutely no disrespect to the 2008 PR pitching staff coming from me. My point is that it will difficult for ANY pitching staff to match their production from last year, including this year's PR team. FVCFan08 is predicting that this year's team will come in 4th in the state with a completely new pitching staff. He is also predicting that no other FVC team will be in the top 15. My point is that the pitching staff was a huge reason why they won the championship last year. Now they are gone. For FVCFan08 to predict that they will come in 4th this year, in my opinion, overlooks the significance of losing the entire starting staff.

Let me ask you this, as fans. Do you believe that this year's PR pitching staff will be able to match the consistent performance of last year's staff?
I can only answer your question with only a simple word: no. Last year's staff was one of the best we are going to see for many years to come. Not only were there 3 D1 pitchers but the guys in the 'pen were also pretty strong as well. I mean really people, Swank, Heesch, and Martini? c'mon, to be honest, there really is no comparison between the two staffs.
FVCFan08 - Thanks for answering my question. That is what my point has been all along. How can you predict PR to be the 4th best team in the state and the only team from the FVC in your top 15 if you don't even feel that they will have one of the best staffs in the conference? Hitting is only going to take you so far. And truthfully, I think Cary has a better hitting team than PR and CLS is right there with them.
RRF8, this is nothing more than a prediction, the ranking if I read it correctly is 4th in the Chicagoland area, not a 4th place finish in state. Secondly, If your point is that you don't believe PR is the best team in the FVC, than state that and save the drama. Lastly, if you feel the need to get personal with your comments do it in a PM. Remember I am as much a fan of the game as I am a coach.
Playball2 - If you look at his list, O' Fallon and Edwardsville are not in the Chicagoland area, so that would imply that he is talking about the state. Second, there is no drama here. I was making a counterpoint which I thought conveyed my opinion for the sake of having a nice discussion. Third, why would I have anything personal against you? On the contrary, it seems that you are more interested in making condescending comments towards my posts than simply offering an honest opinion of your own as to how well PR will do. Please feel free to be a fan and join in on the topic.
I've ranked the Top 15 teams pre-season based on what I've heard around the Chicagoland area. Here it is:

FVC08 - Your prediction is a slap in the face to the 2008 PR pitching staff Drama?

We all know that you are connected to the PR coaching staff, but get off your high horse and let us fans talk preseason baseball. Personal?

Now this is a condescending response.

As far as PR is concerned I have already commented, they have reloaded.
Its a shame that this board has to have this sort of banter, granted any poster is entitled to their opinion, but I would say that this thread, for the most part should be about the outlook of quality team for the upcoming 2009 season. There are a lot of good teams that are not even mentioned in this list that will be factors at the end of the year, and undoubtedly some that are listed that wont meet expectations......such is part of the risk of making predictions, but there is no need to personally bash any program and definately not attack any of the kids of those programs regardless of your opinion.
Pantherbaseball35, welcome to the board. 3 posts? I've seen you spout more than 3 posts worth of material in the time it took to drink a diet coke. You can bring a lot to this site. Again, welcome. Naturally, the risk of having you participate is that you'll be telling everyone here that I full of "it."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.