Skip to main content

Being a former player on the Portsmouth high school team last year, I would have to say that for Class I Portsmouth should be a favorite. St. Thomas has a great team, but they lack the pitching that Portsmouth has. The JV program in Portsmouth has gone undefeated for the last 3 seasons and there are some very good players that will help Portsmouth make another run at the championship in the spring.
Bedford is Class I and 2010 will be the first year that the school has a senior class. Because of the timing of the opening of the high school, Bedford kid's have been spread out over the past few years. Imagine this team last year - take Shipbuilder's list (Maher, Husband, Woodmansee, Laflamme, Harrington, Skilton, Olen (the kid he couldn't remember) and Gancarz) who all played varsity last year and add Sean Lyons, Connor Lyons and Garrett Cole (Trinity), Cole Warren (Central), Steve Burke (Derryfield) and Matt Blakeman (Guertin) all Bedford kids. Of all those - only Sean, Garrett and Cole graduated last year.
Regarding Bedford - the previous post forgot to mention that James Obrien and Kevin White also have several years of varsity pitching experience. So you have Obrien, White, Woodmansee (all Srs) and Maher, Olen, Harrington (all Jrs) making up a very deep staff with alot of varsity and legion pitching experience.

Not to mention the balance of the team, all with the same varsity/legion experience and 7 with GSBA Showcase experience.

They went 2 rounds last year in the playoffs, losing a close one to Plymouth after crushing Monadnock (at Monadnock).

Any predictions?
The details have not be worked out but the GSBA will be running a developmental league for Freshman and Sophomores, there will be two teams made up of the top players who tryout, they will play two 7 inning games each week with strict playing time minimum. Like I said we have a lot of details to work out but I think this will give players the opportunity to improve as they play a high level of talent week in and week out.
I'll throw this out there. Merrimack could be a spoiler this season. Tom Hudon could pitch well enough to win several games despite a lack of offense to back him up. Also keep an eye out for a solid senior year from Jordan Park (RHP), he has been injured and out of shape since his promising Freshman season but is working in the GSBA Top Flight Pitching Program (plug).

Matt Nocella is decent, Colby Hoyle is solid, Tyler Garstang (academically ineligible 2009 and a bonehead) can play.
I'm not sure about Class S, but in Class M, Hopkington is probably the popular pick, and Campbell is always strong. Franklin is the returning champ, but they road the coat tails of senior pitcher last year, Sylvester had a nasty splitter. Prospect Mountain is in rebuilding after three really good years. Sleepers are Farmington, who return 7 starters from a playoff team as well as Somersworth a playoff team, who return 8 starters with their top two pitchers.
I have got to see this Dugdale kid throw I have hearing great things about him and am really looking forward to seeing him this spring. I will say that NH looks to have a lot of up and coming arms this year in High School.

Anyone else know of young Pitchers (Frosh or Sophomores) the rest of the State should know about?
Last edited by Granite State Baseball Association
I don't know how much mound time he will see but a player to watch would be Louis Tarantino a sophomore at Nashua North. He has all the tools and should push for a spot in the everyday lineup this year, most likely in the outfield. He has a plus arm, plus speed and can hit as well with some pop. He played Varsity as a Freshman which for a Nashua school is rather impressive. He saw some limited mound time last year as he throws hard but he doesn't have much as far as breaking pitches. It is in the field and at the plate that he should make his mark. He was with the Grizzlies the past few years.

South has a sophomore that I think will make their rotation, Jared Maloney. He is a 6' 2" or 6' 3" LHP who throws strikes with a good curveball. He is also a good hitter with power. He could make their everyday lineup at first base as well. He played for the Knights the past few years.

(Ship builder will love this yet again)

I remember when my son was a 7th grader two years ago that Londonderry had an 8th grader who was a LHP that was quite impressive. He threw hard and had an excellent curveball as well. He wore glasses I believe. For the life of me I can't remember his name, he should be a sophomore this year maybe Iron Will knows whom I'm talking about. We had two epic battles against him that year (Tarnatino pitched against him both times)beating him once by a run and playing to a draw after 7 innings in another. Best pitcher we faced that year and that includes Hudon from Merrimack!
Last edited by redsox8191
That would Dan Kinnon. He will see some time on the mound for us this year, out of the bullpen. Last year was tough for him to get on the mound for us as we were very deep on the mound. We will be deep again this year, but I recognize he needs to get mound innings this year so he can be a force his junior and senior years! Excellent kid as well!
He seemed as if he'd be a good kid off the diamond based on his mound demeanor. I just remember he had a nice fastball with a solid curveball. We faced him twice and it was a battle both times. We went undefeated that year with several 10 run ruled shortened games but both games against Londonderry were battles! Of course Londonderry has a very good baseball program anyways so they are usually hard fought games. Son's most impressive game this past year (8th grade)was against them in the season's 3rd game as he avenged a 4-2 loss in the opener the week prior by beating them with a 1 hitter in 6 innings. Coming against Londonderry that was a big deal to him. Smile

I will be looking forward to the Londonderry games as he progresses through the next 4 years.
Souhegan will be good, I just don't think they can match with Portsmouth or St Thomas.. The sabers will be Top 10 probably.. Their best player hands down is Tyler Monogian in my opinion.. He will be the spark plug but i dont see shragin and dugdale to be a force in the league. They are both pretty good baseball players I take nothing away from them.
I don't hear much about Plaistow Legion. Although they had a tough initial season, they certainly are a team not to overlook. Returning in 2010 are Matt Faia, 3rd Team All State, Matt Sheehan, a solid back stop and capable bat, Tyler Johnson, coming off an outstanding season at Sanborn, Lucas Alper, Honorable Mention All State, an outstanding defensive Left Fielder and most feel the best hitter on the team with sound Mechanics. Works most pitchers and sees the most pitches. John Faia returns with Power, DJ Travolini can track any ball in center field and it looks like they have some pitching depth in 2010.

Good Luck to all. Looking forward to a fun baseball season.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.