Skip to main content

I heard this morning on the MLB network that openning day is just a mear 82 days away. Let the discussion start about the 2010 High School Season here in the Granite State.

Some Quick Thoughts:

Bedford, this team has a boat load of talent, I predict they will be hosting a first round game.

Nashua North, a three four combo of Breen and McGowan. Pitching rotation of McGowan and Turner. Enough said.

Portsmouth, 2 ACC players on their roster.

Salem, will go as far as Poore can take them, still lack offense.

Londonderry, Corrollo, Finnegan and Fisher on the mound, I am not sure about the offense of this roster outside of Dan Lagasse.

Pinkerton, I don't see them doing much this year.

West, will not win 5 games

Memorial, has a very talented freshman class will not equal varsity wins, I think 5 wins is realistic.

Central, Veillux on the mound should be one of the top pitchers in Class L. O'Connell provides solid defense and a solid hitter. Not sure what they have around these guys.

Trinity, tough to lose Clark and Cole in the same class, Nalette is solid behind the plate but who is going to be dealing to him?

Timberlane, PJ Singster is solid but I don't think they have enought to be hosting a first round playoff game.

BG, on paper this team should have been better last year, on paper they should be competative this year. Games not played on paper, should be interested to see how the team performs in 2010.

Keene, always a top team.

Winnacunnet, Exeter, Spaulding most likely to finish in the bottom half.

Plymouth, with Underwood as the coach they are dangerous.

Just some thoughts to get some discussion going.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I like the underestimation of Londonderry's offense!! Though it is deserved after losing so much offensive talent, I am curious to see what we have as well. I suspect we will surprise a few people, but either way it is all talk to this point.
I would say that offense across the board in "L" is not what it was the past two, three years. Outside of Goffstown I don't see a "great" offense on any team. I see some decent offenses but not great. Either way it is great to get the discussion going for the 2010 year!
Last edited by Ironwill
There is a prospect camp at Northeastern University for the next two weekends. I know some Diamond Dawg AAU players from both Londonderry, and Souhegan will be in attendance. All of he top D1 Baseball programs in New England, as well as all of the top local D2 and D3 teams will have representation. I'll give an update on the results in a couple of weeks, but I'd expect that anyone that has worked with Marc Deschenes for the last few years pitching, will jump out to any scout.
quote:
Originally posted by Granite State Baseball Association:
Souhegan, Mikevick07, all I can say is that I have heard good things about all of those pitchers, I have talked to other members of the GSBA and Souhegan is on our scout list for this spring because we need to see some of their talent. Particularly of interest to me is Terry Dugdale.

Thanks Mike. Terry is the real deal. Made AAU National All Tournament team last year for the U14 Diamond Dawgs and pitched a perfect game. He'll be at the Northeastern Prospect Camp. I estimate he'll have a 85 to 88 MPH fastball by the time the Varsity season opens, and he has full command of both his change up and slider. Impressive for a young sophomore that is only 15 years old.

Here is a list of the school represented at the Northeastern Camp.

The Northeastern Staff: Neil McPhee, Pat Mason, & Mike Glavine
Bill Barale, Williams College
Joe Walsh, Harvard
Aaron Landers, Harvard
Pete Varney, Brandeis
Mike Stone, UMass
John Casey, Tufts
Mik Aoki, Boston College
Steve Englert, Boston College
Matt Noone, Babson
Bill Barale, Williams College
Bill Holowaty, Eastern Connecticut
Bob Wojick, Eastern Connecticut
Jim Foster, Rhode Island
Bob Defelice, Bentley
Jamie Pinzino, Bryant
Brian Murphy, Brown
John O’Brien, Suffolk
Steve Trimper, Maine
Jarod Hollowaty, Maine
Ken Harring, ULowell
Jesse Woods, Boston College
Jeff Kane, Holy Cross
Brian Murphy, Brown
Josh Porter, Roger Williams College
Peter Pasquarosa, Wheaton College
Rich Furchin, Oneonta College, (Jan 16, 17)
Tom Mark, Oneonta College Jan. 16, 17)
Scott Brown, St John’s, NY (Jan. 16,17)
Ted Shipley, Castleton State
Brendan Eygabroat, UMass Boston
Steve Studley, Wentworth
Steve Breitbach, Rhode Island
Coach Curt, I will admit my knowledge of the Seacoast is limited. I personally as well as other members of the GSBA have made it a point to attend more Seacoast games in 2010. What I can say is that in terms of Dover we did not have a single player in our Showcase League. I know we had at least one or two tryout, but even this with such a small sample I still can't make a judgement on Dover.

Anyone have some insight on Seacoast teams?
Carollo of Londonderry did a bullpen session today at the Northeastern prospect camp. From what I could tell, mostly Seniors and Juniors threw today, Sophomores and Freshmen throw tomorrow. Carollo looked outstanding. I wasn't able to hear any of the gun readings, but I'd say he looked to be mid to high 80's. He was popping the mitt much harder than most. Probably saw one or two other kids out of the 35 or so that threw today that could match his velocity. His control was outstanding as well.
Class I will be much more competitive this year. I think St. Thomas is the team to beat. They can hit with the best of them and their pitching is ok.

Last year I was impressed with Bedford and Souhegan and from what I have read here they will be good again.

On Portsmouth, Keegan Taylor did a good job pitching as a sophmore, pitched in some big games which will make him better this year. My guess is you will see Montville pitch some this year, he pitched in East Cobb and a few other events last year did ok. Not sure about what they had at the JV level for pitchers.

Losing Fransoso will hurt the team, nobody knows who will play shortstop. Jones is the best infielder they have but Coach Hopley will not let a pitcher play short due to stress on the kids arm.

Three good JV players who will be replacements at catcher and third base, one of the young catchers will probably go to the outfield since they need a couple of corner outfielders. They will hit ok but not as dominate as the past few years.

I think it will be a tight/comepetive division in 2010 will multiple teams having a good chance to grab the brass ring.
Last edited by nhmonty
Let us know the date of that pre-season game and location. Kennett is returning five starters and the entire pitching staff, they should be better than last year. I look for them to finish somewhere between 7-10 seed. I also heard that Kingswood should be okay, good pitching returning. But there field won't be ready, they are playing down off the Alton circle, about 20 from their school.
Last edited by fivehole
For class I its going to be St. Thomas/Portsmouth in the championship..

St Thomas
Portsmouth
Con Val
Bedford

People arent picking ConVal at all as a top team and I think its strange.. They have one of the best pitchers in Tempone, one of the best Infielders in Fisher and have a great number of kids working their *** off in the off season. They work hard and that will only help them. They have also other pitchers to back up Tempone.. And We (Milford) will not be strong.. at ALL! We have 2 returning players.. 1st basemen and me, and no pitching.. Milford baseball needs a stud to come in badly haha.. We faced the ace from Bedford last year and beat him.. He is pretty good and if he progresses he will be a good player but I dont think Bedford is strong enough.. We also faced their legion team and it wasnt anything special.. Im prob wrong and think they will be a top 6 team, just not on top
I can understand Matt C’s take on Bedford, but it also reveals a couple of the things that make baseball such a great game – timing & matchups. The Milford/Bedford game was senior day for Milford and as Matt said, they were honoring about 10-12 of them that day. One of them – Joe King – did a nice job of scattering 9 hits with the help of some poor base running by Bedford – 3 taken off the bases – 2 in scoring position. Another – Eliot Kilgore – made the most of Milford’s 6 hits with a couple of clutch RBI’s. Milford 3 – Bedford 0. The Legion meeting had Bedford playing its 5th game in 4 days – they had won the previous 4 including an extra inning affair with Nashua and an emotional win over Jutras at Gill. Milford lit up Bedford’s 5th starter and what was left of the bullpen, while Curtis Salo showed why he pitched for Keene State in the spring – game over. All fun stuff and one of the reasons we’re talking about baseball in January.
Winnisquam will be the team to beat in Class M. Jordon Cote is stronger than last year when he was one of the top pitchers in the class. Their #2 (sorry I can't recall his name) touches 80 and has a lot of breaking stuff. They graduated their 1B and LF but the rest of this very solid team is in place. With playoff experience, they are my favorite.
BL- Thats why I love this game.. But I also didn't know about the circumstances in which Bedford was facing.. It is going to be very interesting.. I wish the best for Bedford because they are an up and coming program and they have been successful. I wish somebody did something with the Milford program though. Maybe we need some Bedford coaching or players to come and show how to win... It seems like it has been steadily declining every year. Its sad and will be very frustrating this year for us.
Nice acurate take on the Bedford-Milford game last year. Unfortunately for Bedford, the track coach is somehow the baseball coach. He thinks because the kids run alot (long distances) in practice that they should be able to steal and take extra bases. Not once have they worked on baserunning, proper reads,or stealing bases in the 2 years they have had the program. Rather than working on some baserunning drills, he sends them off on 2-3 mile jogs.

The Milford game was not the only one where the coach ran the kids into outs without regard or recognition of who was at the plate.....very frustrating to have a couple of your best hitters coming up and men on base erased due to poor coaching.

I know there are coaches on this board and they probably dont like to see criticism of coaching so that is all I will say about it. Its not that he is a bad guy or anything, just has no experience coaching at this level and it shows.
Matt C - I wish you and the Milford program (HS & Legion) the best of luck. Good competition makes the game better for the players and the fans. Facing quality pitchers like Salo, Feehan (Nashua), Veino & Finnegan (Londonderry), Lelievre (Hudson), Beals (G-town, Woodward (Lebabnon, Poore (Salem) and Calvetti (Derry) during the Legion season has really helped the Bedford hitters understand what it takes to be successful. Time will tell if they can turn the experience into W's in ClassI. I also agree with you on ConVal and St.Thomas and Portsmouth is king of the hill until someone else proves otherwise.
Based on what I saw the past few years.....I'll take, in no particular order;

Class L - Keene, Goffstown, N.North, Londonderry

Class I - Portsmouth, Bedford.

They should all do well. The fun thing is seeing the new kids come up and how they influence and change the pecking order. It happens every year.

Heard a lot about some of the new kids and look forward to hear about the unknowns.

Here's to the Rookies and all the surprises they bring during every H.S. Baseball Season.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.