Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by BaseabllIsLife5:
If you ask me Tucker is well more deserving in many categories than Deep Run.

Tucker has a +4 run advantage in the two games they have played.

Tucker finished 11-3 in district and the best Deep Run can finish is 10-3

Tucker has played better lately.
Deep Run started off a little better, but it doesnt matter how you start its how you finish.

If you ask me, the tie breaker should be district win percentage, which Tucker has over DR.

If tied in that category it should be runs scored and runs against between the two teams.

It would be ridiculous if Deep Run gets it over Tucker, Tucker has played more games, and won more district games. and same amount of losses.

the extra division win was a city school--tucker played 4, dr played 3- NOT KNOCKING THEM. i admire them for going out there every day they are extremely dedicated. but reality is it's a w.
quote:
Originally posted by wahoos80:
Knocking Tucker at this point would just about make anyone look foolish. They clearly have caused quite a few out there to try a new dish. That dish would be crow!

not knocking tucker at all. may be the hottest team in the district right now. but the fact is, the criteria are set, and while they do have an extra win......
quote:

Deep Run started off a little better, but it doesnt matter how you start its how you finish.

If you ask me, the tie breaker should be district win percentage, which Tucker has over DR.

If tied in that category it should be runs scored and runs against between the two teams.

It would be ridiculous if Deep Run gets it over Tucker, Tucker has played more games, and won more district games. and same amount of losses.

I just looked up Deep Runs schedule and they play Maggie Walker today so that being the case they will have played the same number of games and IF they win they will have the same record as Tucker. Thats a big IF. JM and Hermitage have both given DR a run for their money so beating MW is not a given.
quote:
Originally posted by Local8SS:
quote:

I just looked up Deep Runs schedule and they play Maggie Walker today so that being the case they will have played the same number of games and IF they win they will have the same record as Tucker. Thats a big IF. JM and Hermitage have both given DR a run for their money so beating MW is not a given.

this is 1st time we have played them and we played tj and jm once ea.
quote:
Originally posted by bkwl:
quote:
quote:

this is 1st time we have played them and we played tj and jm once ea.

and i never think beating ANYONE is a given
Not real sure why this is even being discussed?

These teams are in the same District. If one plays 3 city teams and one plays 4, who cares? These teams, along with Godwin, PH, Freeman and Herm are all expected to beat them. If they do not, or have trouble beating them, then they are thought of as suspect.
They all play each other, and to think more or less of either one of them is not fair to the team.
Godwin is the best team in the District right now-anyone saying anything outside of that is foolish at a minimum. They stumbled early against what we all consider lesser teams, but as BB4L said, its not how you start. If I were a coach at the Region level, I wouldn't want to see Godwin coming at me with Lees, Stephens and Garrett.
I would also tend to think that most consider Tucker pretty hot right now as they have won 12 of 15(with losses to DR-most felt like they outplayed them-Godwin, that was a 5-5 game in the 6th, and L-D in their 3rd game of that week-also a good squad)
I would not count them out, but back to the coin flip conversation, not a good thing if they lose the flip.
DR was definitely strong out of the gate and has had their ups and downs. I will likely get questionned on this, but gotta wonder whats up over there?? All things considered, IMO they have underachieved. Anyone on here that thought they could potentially be the 3 seed in the District prior to the season would be chastised. They have shown signs of struggling lately(11R by JM, 12 inning game against Herm this week-a team that both Godwin & Tucker both beat in the last 7 days pretty well)
Generally the hot stay hot, but it would also be foolish to count DR out. You all know-they have what, 9 arms? Some of those arms appear to be hidden gems because they have not been used to their full potential. If they had, DR would be at least 2nd in District w/o the flip, if not 1st, right? Still may be, and they've had a decent season, but both Boyle and Gardener were burned last night. I would think they are out for Mon should they lose the flip. 2 down, 7 to go!!
Should be a deep, competitive District tourney-best of luck to all involved.
Would agree with most of the last post but not the part that Godwin lost to "lesser competition. They lost to James River, Deep Run, St. Chris, Stewart and Benedictine. they lost one more to some team out of the region but if you check the records of the 5 teams listed....theeey aren't lesser competition by any means. Godwin is getting hot at the right time though.
Godwin is a top notch team. Less, Garrett and Stephens have done an awesome job along with Handshaw, Biddix and the rest of the team. Murano should be COY, IMHO. I really doubt there would be anyone on here challenging that too much, but with this group on here, you never know. People seem to forget, at least some of our fellow posters, how vital it is to have a knowledgable coach that promotes a cohesive team. Just a fact.
Should be a really good district tournament. Sometimes (or probably a lot of the time), it's about what team gets hot at the right time.

Godwin - best team right now just based on how they are playing, really rolling. Feel like they made a statement by whacking Hermitage the other night.

Tucker - hottest team right now. really rolling and will be tough to beat. Engler's player of the year, and Gorman's been their ace down the stretch.

Deep Run - definitely inconsistent throughout the year and maybe they should have beaten Hermitage by more, but it's not hard to see that being a take off game of sorts that gets them rolling with a little momentum.

Then there's PH and Herm who all probably got a little boost with how they played against Tucker/Deep Run last night plus Freeman, who I think it would be foolish to discount them.
quote:
A day after DR gives up 10 in an inning to John Marshall and 11 for the game on the same night that Godwin beat Hermitage 15-0, Hermitage plays Deep Run and puts up 4 runs in the 1st and played 12 innings before losing by a run. I don't know what that says but it says something.

Doesnt tell me much. Deep Run still won that game by 15 runs and from what I gathered, used zero starters and some pitchers that havent really thrown all year. You cant play the transitive game, Godwin lost to Deep Run the first game and the last time they played it went to 9 innings, Deep Run was winning going into the 7th. Godwin is clearly the best team in the district right now but just last week they only beat Maggie Walker 6 to 4, who in turn only beat JM 4-1. You cant use how teams do against other teams as a good determining factor in my opinion. The tournament starts next week, let them settle it on the field.
quote:

Dont want to make it seem like im constantly defending Deep Run, but you cant reward Tucker and take away from Deep Run because Maggie Walker chose to not play a 2nd game against Deep Run. It wasnt like Deep Run chose it, Maggie Walker did not want to play the first game, and so I dont think they should be penalized for that being the case.

Both teams will probably play each other coming up here soon anyway, if there are no upsets, so it will all be settled on the field, like it should be.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.