Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A player can work with his coach; or on occasion can find his own spot (e.g., if the coach hasn't found one; if the player has connections for a team). But in the end, the coach really needs to be brought in to the loop.

If the assignment is through the coach, the player and coach can dialogue and consider the variable (e.g., how far, how much, how long is the league, which league may be better for the player from both the player's and the coach's perspective). High visibilty leagues (e.g., Cape, Northwoods) may not be the right fit for every player -- better to play everyday than sit on the bench. Again, a topic to discuss between player and coach.
Last edited by Goosegg
I have to admit to being envious. During my son's college carrier he was fortunate enough to play in three summer leagues, Northwoods, Coastal Plain and Valley. It was a great experience for him and an extemely enjoyable time for his mom and I. His college coach was very proactive, his players were placed by the end of September the previous year.

I encourage all concerned to savor the time, it won't last forever. We still talk about the trips, games, people met, sights seen and areas visited. Best of luck to all, it's a great time!
My Son played in Prospect League for the past 2 Summers.
He had an invite again this year, but passed, partly because of the brutal travel schedule.

Changing to divisional play certainly will lessen the many overnight bus rides, but going to 60 games seems odd?

60 games in 69 days plus playoffs is too much, in my opinion.

Even with 56 games last year, several schools would pull their guys back before end of season or delay them from reporting at beginning of season.

I can only think that practice will increase next season.
Bum, Jr. played in Madison in the Northwoods League the past two seasons, and the Prospect League as a freshman. No comparison. You want a brutal schedule? Try 70 games in 75 days in the Northwoods League (four of them for the all star game, which he played in), plus playoffs.

Son would show up to the game 2 hours early for practice, and after every game, he and his teammates would sign autographs for the fans for an hour & 1/2--even if there were double headers due to rainouts--then hit the showers and jump on the bus for a 125 mile road trip to the next town.

The Northwoods is a true minor league schedule with great competition. Scouts love it because they know it tests a players metal. Do you want it or not?

Many players left early because they couldn't handle it. But by the end of the Summer, those that endured had matured from boys to men. Son couldn't get enough.

How much is too much? 50 games is too much for some, 70 games is too little for others.
Last edited by Bum
For those new to Summer Wood bat leagues, it is probably important to know that some leagues are for profit and many are non-profit.
Teams which play 40 to 45 games with play-offs, like the Cape, NECBL, CPL and Valley, I believe, are all non-profits. Much of the money is re-invested back into Communities, to the extent there is money.
The Northwoods was one of the first for profit.
There is a reason they play so many games. It is the ownership is for profit.
For a player who didn't play an entire Spring season of college baseball, it can be a great situation.
They get innings/AB's and high quality competition.
For players who are already 50 or so games and 200 to 250 AB's or 100 innings on the mound, having 70 more games with the heat/humidity can be a real challenge.
Hopefully, those looking at situations for their son will be able to appreciate some additional factors in Summer league placements.
Infield dad is correct! It really depends on what you need or expect from Summer Ball.

For a kid who got little or no playing time, the expanded schedules can be a good thing.

I do know that several of the Summer Coaches have a hard time juggling their pitchers particularly, because the College coaches don't want them coming in to Fall with a dead arm. You will sometimes see position players getting a few innings late in the season.

I know several times last Summer, my Son's team would finish a game,not be able to shower, grab a bite to eat and then sit on the bus for anywhere from a 4 to a 13 hour ride home. I can only imagine the smell?
Infielddad is indeed dead on correct, except the CPL is a "for profit" league as well. Our league, the Valley League, is nonprofit,as are several others. (MLB only gives grant money to nonprofit leagues, but their contribution amount hasn't changed in many years.) The "for profit" leagues are known as the "Beer Leagues" as the privately owned teams make significant money off of alcohol sales. In the VBL, alcohol is taboo at all ball parks.

I've been told the NCAA has some type of supposed limit on the number of summer games, but if there is such a limit, it surely is ignored. We play 44 regular season games, then playoffs start around July 24 and the season is completed by early August, which we like. After 44 games, and a full spring, these guys are tired and like to get home for 2-3 weeks before starting school again. The travel in our league is comparatively short-our longest trips are two games that require a 2-2.5 hour drive but most trips average around 30-40 minutes, and as for our team, we have 4 teams within 25 minutes. The leagues with the long trips do a nice job marketing those long bus trips as the "minor league experience", but I'll take our short hops any day of the week. I can't imagine a 70 game schedule plus playoffs-the divorce rate among GM's in those leagues must be high. Smile

The top talent seems to be spreading over more leagues, with the Cape remaining the top dog target but it has it's issues too-beach traffic can really jam up the roads and many Cape Cod teams have a reputation for quickly unloading players that don't meet performance expectations-some pretty good players have gotten off to bad starts, and were released, only to find rosters in the other leagues were full.

It's worth checking out the various leagues so a player knows what they're in for-if you want to see your home bedroom before going back to school, the 70 game leagues probably aren't going to much work. Many leagues now charge fees to players but some don't. Some charge for housing, some don't.

Summer leagues are a lot of fun for players and fans, but as is true with picking a college, a little homework helps.
(http://www.nwibl.org) 18 and older Portland OR
Are you a High School or College player that will graduate this year with a passion for playing baseball and your not ready to take off the cleats and hang up your glove? Well get a Wood Bat, put the cleats back on and continue to play baseball this Summer 2012 in the Northwest Independent Baseball League.
Hello All,

Make sure to check out the Myrtle Beach Collegiate Summer Baseball League (aka The Beach League). In our inaugural season this June, The Beach League will host over 250 players from more than 115 different colleges, 32 different states, and 4 countries.

Here is a commercial recently posted for the league, one of many videos to come on BeachLeagueTV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HccNoCbak

Please feel free to reach out with any questions: nick@mbcsbl.org

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.