Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For any rising HS senior summer travel team you'll be looking for a team with a good winter facility and strong staff, as well as a solid tournament schedule and a web site that reflects their attention to detail.

Find out what tournaments they attended this past summer, and where they plan to attend next summer. Did they play, and will they play, in any WWBA tournaments? Other than national tournaments such as WWBA, are the tournaments being played in regions where your son may want to go to college? A distant trip may be fun but if he has no intention of going to school there then you have basically wasted money and more importantly, time.

How many of their players from last year received an invite to Area Code tryouts? Lynn Invitational? Summer Rivalry Classic? Attendance at these is often as linked to connections as it is to talent.

Ask for a parent reference, preferably one for the positions your son will play, and ask the parent what training was received. Also, ask if all that was promised was actually delivered. And ask how active the coach was in reaching out to college coaches with references.

Do they provide a video resource? Do they post video to their web site? Not required, but you will find it an added bonus.

Take a look at their web site because coaches will too. Is it easy to follow in terms of schedules, rosters, and contacts?

Look at roster size, not counting Pitchers. Get comfortable with that number in relation to expected playing time.

Then look at price. It varies widely and is heavily based on the number of tournament commitments. You should find a range of from $2,000 to $3,600, winter training included. (and be sure to understand batting cage access rules at the facility, the more open it is the more valuable the resource.)

Good luck! Your overall budget for a rising senior year is likely to be well in excess of $5,000 when you consider family travel, fees, meals, training, showcases, college camps, etc. etc.
The RI Rebels Program based out of South Kingstown, RI works extremely hard on many of the things that RedSoxFan21 mentioned in his previous post. As for Coach Merc's program, having competed against them for a few summers now, I can say they are a first class organization, and I always enjoy seeing them on the list of participants in the tournaments that we choose for our program each summer. Here is a few that jump to mind, along with the web addresses that I know off the top of my head. I apologize if I excluded any of the regional programs!

Rhode Island Rebels www.RhodeIslandRebels.com
New England Ruffnecks www.NERuffnecks.org
Northeast Baseball Club www.ne-baseball.com
World Yacht Clippers www.clippersbaseball.org
ITZ Thunder www.itzbaseball.org
College Select www.collegeselect.org
Connecticut Bombers www.battersboxonline.net
Team Connecticut www.teamconnecticutbaseball.com
Dream Bat Bombers www.dreambatbombers.com

-Shop around, see the pros and cons of each, it is an important summer, but it seems as though the players from the programs above usually end up getting seen, and playing at an APPROPRIATE college level. Hope it helps!

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.