Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Very hard watching the Cardinals implode like they did the last three games. But we just won last year, so I have that to keep me warm.

I dont mind the Giants, even though they beat us. They seem loose and a fun team to watch. But I gotta go with the Tigers. My fellow Missouri Tiger Max Scherzer will take the mound in game 4, so he has my rooting interest.
My head tells me Tiggers in 5, but my heart wants the Giants. NL world series champ winners streak ends at 2.

Giants need productivity from Posey and Pence to have a chance against Tiggers. Giants finally got some productivity from them last night in a very unorthodox way. I'm not quite sure why Bochy doesn't move Brandon Belt (lefty) behind Posey, and move Pence to 6-hole. Pence had some very poor at bats during NLDS and NLCS. Belt is getting it done.
fenwaysouth,

Agree that both Posey and Pence need to get hot, but, Belt is so much a question mark. He has gotten hot at times, but can get ice cold in a New York minute. Right now the 1,2,3 hitters are carrying the Giants. If it goes 7, the Giants will most likely win. Should be a great series. Looks like Zito may get the game 1 start. It should be Bumgardner, but, it looks like he has a tired arm.

Hope that Pence can hit the ball 3 times in one swing again, that makes him a major weapon.
quote:
Originally posted by trojan-skipper:
6 teams in the America League won more games than the Tigers. If the White Sox wouldn't have crumbled in the last two weeks the Tigers would be long gone.
And yet... I think the tigers will win it...

Isn't it not where you begin but where you end?

I know who I want to win, but as we have seen anything is possible, even hitting the ball 3 times in one at bat! Eek
Tonight's game seems to carry more significance than most Game 1's do in a 7-game series. Understandably, most expect Verlander to prevail; and, if he does, it really sets up the rest of the rotation well for Detroit after tonight. On the other hand, if Zito pitches like he did the other night and is equally effective, the s-c-r-a-p-p-y (s******...lol) underdogs from San Francisco have served notice.

Tonight's wild card: How and when each manager adjusts the lineup mid-to-late game in the National League stadium.
Last edited by Prepster
quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof:
I could care less who wins. Baseball season over and now it's time to focus on the NY Giants defending their Super Bowl title. It's looking like the Giants are the best team in the NFL up to this point so there's a lot to root for with the Giants. Baseball is in the rear view mirror now.

Bahhhhh humbug. I guess that is what happens when your team isn't playing, typical yankee fan. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof: I could care less who wins. Baseball season over and now it's time to focus on the NY Giants defending their Super Bowl title. It's looking like the Giants are the best team in the NFL up to this point so there's a lot to root for with the Giants. Baseball is in the rear view mirror now.

I actually laughed out loud at this...I assume you are saying it light-heartedly, as any real baseball fan would never actually say something like this.

Baseball season is in its peak. The World Series is the pinnacle of the sport each year. I will be tuned into every pitch of every game.

I think the Tigers will take the series, but the Giants have had an unbelievable run all postseason. It'll sure be fun to watch!
quote:
I could care less who wins. Baseball season over and now it's time to focus on the NY Giants defending their Super Bowl title. It's looking like the Giants are the best team in the NFL up to this point so there's a lot to root for with the Giants. Baseball is in the rear view mirror now.

That's too bad. I actually am probably more happy with a series like this where I have no favorite team in it.

I'm looking for seven awesome games! Tonight's off to a good start.
Last edited by biggerpapi
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
QUOTE]

That's too bad. I actually am probably more happy with a series like this where I have no favorite team in it.

I'm looking for seven awesome games! Tonight's off to a good start.

It's hard to get into it when my team isn't in it. I'll tune in to it here and there but won't be watching with any interest. Maybe if the local kid Porcello gets in the game I'll watch some but that's about it.

After watching the Yankee debacle, I just got disgusted with the baseball season and tuned out anything baseball and got into football mode
Just a personal opinion but if a favorite team didn't make the series, the stories with the players this time of year are what make baseball so GREAT!!!
Scutaro, Vogelsang, Romo, Zito: different but amazing.
Verlander, Leyland, Fielder, Cabrera: different but amazing.
Most of all: these guys compete. This is the Koufax, Mazeroski, Lolich, Gibson, Mantle, Mays and Buddy Harrelson all wrapped in a few games.
No player in baseball is playing the game better right now and for the last 2 months than Marco Scutaro..well maybe except Posey and Cabrera.
What a wonderful time of year for baseball!
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
Originally posted by J H:
quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof: I could care less who wins. Baseball season over and now it's time to focus on the NY Giants defending their Super Bowl title. It's looking like the Giants are the best team in the NFL up to this point so there's a lot to root for with the Giants. Baseball is in the rear view mirror now.

I actually laughed out loud at this...I assume you are saying it light-heartedly, as any real baseball fan would never actually say something like this.

Baseball season is in its peak. The World Series is the pinnacle of the sport each year. I will be tuned into every pitch of every game.

I think the Tigers will take the series, but the Giants have had an unbelievable run all postseason. It'll sure be fun to watch!

As a baseball fan, sure, I'll watch some but with zero rooting interest, it'll be as exciting as watching the news. I'll be changing channels back and forth. Something I never do with a Yankee world series. Sports talk? All Yankees all the time when in the series. But this year, any world series talk and I switch to who's talking NY Giants football.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by J H:
quote:

As a baseball fan, sure, I'll watch some but with zero rooting interest, it'll be as exciting as watching the news. I'll be changing channels back and forth. Something I never do with a Yankee world series. Sports talk? All Yankees all the time when in the series. But this year, any world series talk and I switch to who's talking NY Giants football.

Just my view but if you are not watching and enjoying Zito compete tonight, you are better off watching football.
quote:
Just my view but if you are not watching and enjoying Zito compete tonight, you are better off watching football.

infielddad- I couldn't agree with you more. I am from the school of thought that you are a baseball fan before you are a fan of a particular team. I guess we're outliers by thinking that way??

I would never want to watch/talk about/think about football over the World Series. Ever.
quote:
JH said...I am from the school of thought that you are a baseball fan before you are a fan of a particular team. I guess we're outliers by thinking that way??
I agree you are a fan first. The two teams I follow are not in the WS, but I'm a baseball fan none the less. I'm watching every pitch, every hit, manager moves and doing my best to tune out Buck and McCarver. I'm glad to see Scutaro do so well. I'm cheering for Verlander to do better as he from our neck of the woods (our family paths have crossed many times). It is the freaking World Series, and it will always get my interest as a baseball fan.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
If Fielder would have slid run and slid outside the baseline, he would have been safe in the first inning.

Don't think so.

Clearly the 3b coach reacted to the ball caroming of the outfield wall, and circled Prince to go home, and that reaction was a tick late. Prince began to pull up. That cost him 3 ft.
A lot will depend on how well the Giant's starting pitchers (Vogelsong and Cain in particular) do. I think the Giants will get at least one game away as they've consistently done well away. If either of those starters do well, then the Giant's bullpen will continue to hold and allow the Giant's offence to work on the Tiger's bullpen, which is to the Giant's advantage. And if the Giants do get that one game away in Detroit, then I feel we'll be done in 6 games and the Giants will take the WS at home.
It nice to see Tim Lincecum bounce back from a so-so regular season and help his team's bullpen. I think he has done a great job!

Hope I could say the same thing to Detroit's former closer, Jose Valverde. He was the first player who signed my son's baseball when he attended his first spring training game. He is a good guy and hopefully can bounce back next year.
Last edited by Ryanrod23

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.