Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
A lot of it had to do with the fact that the Tigers live and die by the longball and when that stopped or there was no one on when they did hit one they had no other offensive tools. National League teams are better equipped to play the small ball that can come into play in series that feature great pitching and low scoring games because they are used to bunting, pitchers batting, the double switch, and having rosters that are built for that kind of baseball. Sometimes the AL teams can't even use one of their best offensive players due to the DH not being used at times.

Believe me, there are not a ton of teams that want Delmon Young on their roster and just having him in the lineup shows that the Tigers have a weakness that can be exploited. He is a horrendous offensive and defensive player.

Maybe over a season this is correct however Young hit .357 in the WS. The only player on either team even close was Infante at .333.
Last edited by biggerpapi
quote:
That final pitch took some real guts. I am quite a Romo fan after that last inning especially.

I looked at my son when the pitch was delivered thinking it must be insane - 89mph right down the pipe. Luckily for the Giants, Cabrera took the pitch. Romo set him up really well with four to six sliders in a row. He was shaking off Posey who was signaling for more sliders. If, a big if, Cabrera swung for a HR, it would have took all the wind out of the Giants.
quote:
That's fine, I'll pull out the "let's agree to disagree" quip.

I believe the players had much more to do with this series than the managers.

Well, true in general to a certain extend but I believe Bochy made a big big impact to the Giants in this case. The captain(manager) had to instill confidence, have to match up, scout the opponents, tailor the lineup to match up, have to find every little advantages to be their strength and in this case, Bochy and his staff did it all. What were the odds in Las Vegas for the Giants before the series start, must be a lot less than 1:1.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.