Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chancellor 2 vs. Spotsylvanina 15......

Talk about a team falling apart.....probably one of the worst games I have seen Chancellor play. There are times when this team looks like it has turned the corner and then it takes two steps back. Hope they can pull it together otherwise this is going to be a long season. 

I think the team will be running a lot of poles at the next practice.

CAROLINE 25, JAMES MONROE 1

Will Shiflett went 4-for-4 with two doubles for Caroline. The Cavaliers (5–4, 3–3) host Courtland on Monday.

R H E

James Monroe 010 00 1 2 2

Caroline 454 12x 25 21 0

McFADDEN, Abel (3) and Abel, Martinez (3). RYAN HICKMAN, Taylor Buchanan (5) and Jontahn Didlake.

SPOTSYLVANIA 15, CHANCELLOR 2

Jacob Conradt–Eberlin and Logan Chandler had two hits and drove in a pair of runs each and Lucas Weaver tripled with three RBIs for the Knights.

Spotsylvania (2–6, 2–4) hosts Culpeper on Monday.

R H E

Chancellor 000 11 2 3 2

Spotsylvania 800 7x 15 8 2

CHRIS BARLOW, Selbe (1), Trn (4) and Michael Selbe. SEAN REDMOND, Lucas Weaver (5) and Jonathan Mullins.

This Global Warming is killing me!  Another game wrapped up in blankets and a winter coat.   8 innings played,  Culp squeaks by Spotsy 3-2.   Spotsy pitcher did a great job for 6 1/3 innings creating pop ups and fly balls.  1-1 game until the fifth, costly error in RF gave Spotsy a 2-1 lead.  John Anderson HR tied the game up 2-2 in the 6th.  Top of the 7th,  lead off walk to Butler  SAC Bunt by Crimm & running on the pitch moves Butler to second.  Butler goes to third on the throw to 1st.  Throw to 3rd had the runner but bounces past 3rd.  Butler scores on the past ball at the top of the 7th.  3-2, Butler gets the win in relief to B. Smith in the 5th.

From the Free-Lance Star:

CULPEPER 3, SPOTSYLVANIA 2 (8 INN.)

John Anderson homered and Blaine Lafin finished 3 for 4 for visiting Culpeper. Logan Chandler and Jake Fletcher each had an RBI for Spotsylvania (2–7, 2–5).

R H E

Culpeper 00 10 01 01 3 9 1

Spotsylvania 00 11 00 00 2 3 2

Brett Smith, JERMAIN BUTLER (5) and John Anderson. Lucas Weaver, LOGAN CHANDLER (7) and Jonathan Milluns.

CAROLINE 1, COURTLAND 0

Jonathan Didlake’s RBI single in the sixth inning scored the lone run and Joe Shiflett struck out eight, in Caroline’s Battlefield District win.

R H E

Courtland 0000 000 0 1 1

Caroline 0000 010 1 5 2

ZACH SMITH and Austin Ricketts. JOE SHIFLETT and Ryan Hickman.

KING GEORGE 7, CHANCELLOR 1

Marc Antosz had two hits and drove in two of the Foxes’ five fifth-inning runs.

R H E

King George 0000 520 7 11 1

Chancellor 0000 100 1 4 4

LANE WARD, Marc Antosz (7) and Hunter Toliver. CHRIS BARLOW, Cross (5) and Michael Selbe.

Culp versus Courtland was a great game.  Courtland game out to win from the beginning.  Culp had a chance to tie it with a close play at home but Coach got a little conservative. Great pitching by Courtland, two nights in row with flat bats by Culp.  As I said in the beginning of the season,  there is no flexible starting lineup with Culp and that will keep them from a title.  Too much depth with strong bats sitting on the bench.  Nice win Courtland!

HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL ROUNDUP: Caroline gets winner in 10th

Caroline’s Alex Jeter hit a ground ball to second base that scored Jonathon Didlake for the game-winning run in the 10th inning as the Cavaliers’ baseball team topped Spotsylvania 2–1 on Tuesday in a Battlefield District game.

Lucas Weaver went 3-for-5 from the plate to lead Spotsylvania.

Didlake went 2-for-4 and had two runs and a stolen base.

Adam Desjarlais went nine innings and recorded 11 strikeouts for the Cavaliers (7–4, 5–3), who visit James Monroe on Friday.

Spotsylvania 0 001 000 000 1 5 3

Caroline 0 000 100 001 2 4 1

DYLAN LUTTRELL, Liam Stina (9) and Jonathon Mullins. ADAM DESJARLAIS, RYAN HICKMAN (10) and Ryan Hickman and Jonathon Didlake (10).

EASTERN VIEW 22, JAMES MONROE 0

Stewart Paz had two RBIs to lead Eastern View over James Monroe.

A.J. Stead also drove in a run for the Cyclones (9–2, 5–0), who visit Chancellor today.

James Monroe 000 00 0 4 8

Eastern View 084 10x 22 11 0

Jay SCROGGINS, James McFadden(3), Terry Clay (5) and Abel. Jacob Jackson, NEMO MARTINEZ (3), Rajee Brown (4) and Ben Pittman.

I wouldn't put too much stock in non-district games.  Teams usually don't put their best pitcher on the mound and quite often experiment with their line up on those occasions.  Non-district games play no part in determining district rankings.

At this point, I'd say Culpeper and EV are the teams to beat.  Unless Caroline, Courtland or Chancellor start racking up some wins to close on those two, it's Culpeper's or EV's district to take.

Friday's games should give a clearer picture. 

4/26Fri6PMKing Georgevs.Eastern View
4/26Fri4:30PMCulpepervs.Chancellor
4/26Fri7PMSpotsylvaniavs.Courtland
4/26Fri5PMJames Monroevs.Caroline

Will KG upset EV?  I doubt it, but you never know.

Can Chancellor stop their slide against Culpeper? After early success, the Chargers have lost 3 straight.

Courtland @ Spotsy - not sure though I think Courtland should prevail.

Caroline @ JM - I can't see Caroline losing this one.

I just don't think the pitching is as strong this year compared to 2012.  Yes, some teams (EV, Culpeper, Chancellor, Caroline, Courtland) have some good pitchers, but overall I think the entire district is weaker.  I could be wrong.

Assuming EV, Culpeper, Courtland and Caroline win tomorrow, it'll be a 4 team race with Chancellor, and Spotsylvania 2-3 games behind.  Still a lot of games left and anything can happen.

I think EV is a lock to get in!  Reference pitching -  It appears each team competing has 2 or 3 solid starters but only a few have depth.  If you can run the pitch count up then you may expose a weakness.  I am curious which teams have the best offensive edge or defensive edge.  I have not seen any fireworks of hitting against us nor many balls to the OF. Should be interesting.

Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

In previous years it took at 8-6 record to be in top 4 with some 8-6 on outside looking in.Not sure how that will be this year. 

In 2011, a 9-5 record was no guarantee either.  As I recall EV, Spotsy and KG finished with 9-5 records.  Spotsy and EV got the last two playoff spots while KG went home - lost out on the tie breakers.

It will not be anywhere close to last year either where three teams were tied at the top, and all three were separated by a few games against the rest of the field. I think you COULD have two teams pull away or there could be that one team that wins it outright without the tie. There are still 8 district games left for Culpeper, EV, and KG and I think 7 for everyone else. A lot can happen, in that amount of time. We should get a more clear picture over the next week.

EASTERN VIEW 3, KING GEORGE 0

Austin Huff had a hit and two RBIs, and Brandon Settle added an RBI-triple for Eastern View in a Battlefield District win.

A.J. Stead struck out 12 and walked one to pick up the win for the Cyclones (11–2, 7–0), who visit Courtland on Tuesday.

Lane Ward had a double and Cody Bell went 1-for-2 for the Foxes.

R H E

Eastern View 0110 100 3 5 0

King George 0000 000 0 2 2

A.J. STEAD and Ben Pittman. MARC ANTOSZ and Hunter Tolliver.

Another correction - To my knowledge King George has only two district wins (not three) - Spotsylvania and Chancellor.  They were winning over JM but the game was suspended in the 4th inning due to weather.  From what I was told the game will be continued on 5/14 when KG meets JM again.

Zeus - think the fields will be playable today?  I know KG travels to Culpeper and EV visits Courtland.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.