Skip to main content

This should be a fun couple of weeks. There are two games that separate the 4 seed from the 5,6,7.. but anything can happen. Everybody is playing everybody. Courtland can create distance from the pack and close in on a 3 seed tonight with a win over EV. KG is down but not out. They can hang with teams. That was proven in their 3-0 loss to EV.  Im sure they are looking to get some back against Culp tonight. Culp, has been up and down in their hitting performance but has managed to get it done to an extent. Caroline is making a strong case and are on the heels of culpeper and EV should one of them stumble. Spotsy is team to not overlook that can snatch a game from anyone at anytime. I still think it will be EV, Culp, Caroline, and Coutland in the top 4 but the seedings could be all shuffled around or one of those outside teams could sneak in like EV did last year right at the end. Who knows.

EV and Culp has not be rescheduled yet.  

Below are the pitching stats for KG and Culp. Pitching stats are not fair and brutal.   Hunt doesn't deserve the loss and Lafin the win.   Smith came in with Bases loaded in the 6th,  Culp up 7-5 with 1 out, ground ball to SS,  DP.    Top of 7th, 7-5 couple of walks, single, 1 out with  bases loaded.  Lafin comes in, walks in a run 7-6, ground ball to SS gets the force on 2cnd, throwing error to first, runner on 3rd & 2cnd scores, KG takes the lead. 8-7  Culp come up on the bottom of the 7th,  couple of key base hits,  Slawson with the winning RBI, Culpeper wins 9-8

Ferrel should have the win and Ward the loss, oh well.   Note:  Peavley had his 1st and 2cnd HRs of the season.  Culp has 5 players with HRs,  3 players with 2 or more.

KING GEORGE          IP    H    R   ER   BB   SO   HR
Lane Ward                6.00   10    7    7    2    9    2
Matthew Hunt (L)       0.33    3    2    2    0    0    0
 BLUE DEVILS 13           
Ramey Farrell          5.33    9    5    5    3    6    0
Brett Smith              1.00    1    3    2    2    0    0
Blaine Lafin (W)       0.67    0    0    0    1    0    0

Not bad for a team that only returned two starters from last years championship team.  KG is young - only one senior(?), a few juniors and the rest sophomores.   I pretty much figured it is a rebuilding year - as they get more experience they should improve.  KG started a MS team this year, so that should bode well for the future - gives them time to get more experience.

Lane (KG) pitched against Culpeper, so I'd guess Mark Antoz got the start or maybe Matthew Hunt.

Originally Posted by VirginiaBsblDad:

Chancellor 4 vs Caroline 9

At the Caroline/Chancellor game, Caroline's Joe Shiflett pitched six innings, striking out 12, walking three while allowing four hits.  Shiflett was 4-4 at the plate with three doubles and a single. Adam Desjarlais pitched in relief in the seventh striking out three.

Andrew LeMaster, started for Chancellor, pitching four innings striking out one, walking one, and allowing eight hits.  Tyler Cross pitched in relief two innings striking out two, walking two and allowing one hit.

R H E

Chancellor       3010 000   4 4 1

Caroline          3310 02X   9 9 1

HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL: Chargers gain edge in district

With two outs and extra innings looking like a distinct possibility on a cool night, Chancellor took care of business and made sure that it didn’t happen.

Catcher Michael Selbe’s single to shallow center field drove in Tyler Cross with the winning run as the Chargers pulled out an important 3–2 Battlefield District win over visiting Courtland and kept themselves in the hunt for a playoff berth.

“Baseball is a grind,” said Chancellor coach J.P. Gibbons. “Hopefully, we can use this win as a springboard. We’re still in this thing, we still have a heartbeat.”

The Chargers (5–8 overall, 4–6 in the district) are battling the Cougars (8–9, 5–6) and Spotsylvania for the fourth and final spot in the upcoming district tournament later this month at Spotsylvania High School.

A loss to the Cougars would have dealt a crippling blow to the Chargers’ hopes, but instead they’re still very much alive with four games left on their schedule.

“This team is coming to together and we got the key hits tonight when we needed them,” said winning pitcher Chris Barlow, who went the distance and out-dueled Courtland’s Zach Smith.

Barlow held the Cougars to six hits and struck out eight to notch his third win of the season.

The senior right-hander has become a workhorse for Gibbons and the Chargers since their other ace, Jason Morgan, a University of North Carolina commit, went down with a rib injury and is questionable for the remainder of the year.

“Chris bore down and came through in the clutch for us,” said Gibbons. “He had command of both of his pitches. In my opinion, he kept [the Cougars] out of step.”

Both Barlow and Smith were effective for the first few innings. Neither team could make much noise at the plate until the bottom of the fourth, when the Chargers broke through and scored twice.

Right fielder Brandon Gardiner, who had two of the Chargers’ nine hits off Smith, delivered the big blow with a two-out single up the middle that scored Ryan Greer and Andrew LeMaster.

Courtland, which had stranded six base runners through the first five innings, finally got on the scoreboard in the top of the sixth and pulled even.

Designated hitter Josh Graham started the inning with a single to left and then Aaron Jacobs walked. Zach Braswell followed with a scorching double to left-center to bring both runners home.

With the score tied 2–2 heading into the bottom of the seventh, the Chargers gathered in front of their dugout before their final at-bat and talked about what they needed to do to pull out the victory.

“We talked about making good swings, getting on base and finding a way to manufacture a run somewhere,” said Selbe.

Down to their last out, that’s exactly what they did to end the contest.

Gardiner led off with another single and made it to second on an overthrow to first. After Ryan Abell struck out, Cross hit a sharp grounder and Gardiner was tagged out at third.

Center-fielder Janiel Rodriguez then singled to center to advance Cross to second. Selbe then lofted a fly ball to shallow center that was just deep enough to bring home Cross with the winning run.

“We’d been talking about this game for weeks. It was a big rivalry game,” said Selbe. “We knew it was going to be close and we would have to fight and battle.”

Courtland coach Joe Sumler is hoping the Cougars can learn from the experience and continue their push for the final spot in the tournament.

“We had our chances, but we just made too many mistakes,” said Sumler. “We’ve shown that we can play with anybody in the district. We just have to play smarter baseball. We’re going to work on that and see what happens.”

The Cougars entertain James Monroe on Tuesday, while the Chargers visit Eastern View on the same day.

R H E

Courtland 0000 020 2 6 1

Chancellor 0002 001 3 9 2

ZACH SMITH and Austin Ricketts. CHRIS BARLOW and Michael Selbe.

HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL ROUNDUP: Caroline stops Eastern View

Caroline’s 10-run fifth inning lifted the Cavaliers’ baseball team to a 13–7 Battlefield District win against Eastern View on Friday.

The Cyclones had been unbeaten in Battlefield District play.

Justin Gardiner had two hits including a home run for Eastern View and Ben Pittman also homered.

The Cyclones (13–3, 9–1) host Chancellor on Tuesday.

R H E

Caroline 2000 1001 13 14

E. View 1110 103 7 7

DESJARLAIS, Hickman and Hickman and Didlake. A.J. STEAD, Ben Bridges (5), Rajee Brown (7) and Ben Pittman.

CULPEPER 17, JAMES MONROE 0

Corey Slawson had three hits and four runs to lead the Blue Devils to a Battlefield District win.

Dekeim Mott and Nathan Healey had hits for the Yellow Jackets.

R H E

Culpeper 216 08 17 10 0

J. Monroe 000 00 0 2 4

TYLER WILSON, Jake Davis (2), Zach Crim (5) and John Anderson. TYLER MARTINEZ, James McFadden (3) and Hunter Stephens. 

SPOTSYLVANIA 10, KING GEORGE 3

Lucas Weaver had two hits—including a double—and three RBIs for Spotsylvania in a Battlefield District win.

Ashten Dixon and Jacob Conradt–Eberlin both drove in a pair of runs and Jake Fletcher had two hits with a double for the Knights.

Matthew Hunt and Lane Ward both doubled and had RBIs for King George.

Spotsylvania (4–8, 4–6) plays at Culpeper on Tuesday.

R H E

Spotsylvania 0024 211 10 13 3

King George 1010 010 3 6 3

SEAN REDMOND, Lucas Weaver (7) and Jonathan Mullins. MARC ANTOSZ, Matthew Hunt (4), Bailey Pierce (7) and Hunter Tolliver.

I am going to have to lean towards Courtland for the final spot. They do play defense, and they do have the easier road to the playoffs compared to Spotsy and Chancellor. Again, not to take anything away from either of these two teams, they both have to get through EV and Culpeper this week alone. On the flip side, this "forecasted" rain could play a huge factor into the final push as it will definitly take a toll on everyones pitching. These games could all be pushed toward the end of the week and into next week. If I am Caroline I like where I am sitting. Yes, EV has Chancellor and Spotsy this week, who are both in the playoff mix, and Culpeper has three games this week, to include Spotsy, Chancellor, and Caroline. Then the big one comes next week. EV and Culpeper will play twice in the week, and that does not include what games may be pushed back. In my opinion, Culpeper has a tough task over the next couple weeks and EV needs to keep an eye out, because they are not running away with anything. This should be a great couple weeks of baseball, Cant wait to see it unfold.

Culpeper lost their 3rd starter with Smith being out but they have a lot of arms who haven't seen much mound time and Culpeper's outfield defense has not been tested much this season.  I think Caroline is in a good spot and are strong all around and I will repeat it again,  "Culpeper's unwillingness to adjust their starting lineup will be their demise".  EV's bats seem to be streaky and they seem to play very hot/cold but have had some timely pitching with Cain & Nemo.  Courtland is very steady on the defense which would make the difference on the close game.  If Chancellor does not get they will at least do some damage buy eating up some arms when needed the most.

To me the best player in the district is a player who contributes to his team in more than just one way. This player is a game changer who has an impact on defense and offense. Most players who have been Battlefield District players of the year have had strong offense and defensive stats. These type of players give it 100 percent from the moment they walk on the field to the last out. How about listing the candidates for each team to see who is in the running.

This is a question best answered by the coaches who have the knowledge as to what each player has done each game (stats). Most of us only get to see opposing teams twice each season.

Eastern View -

Culpeper -

Caroline -

Courtland -

Chancellor -

Spotsylvania -

King George -

James Monroe -

Be careful of the padded stats game. This is a little tough as some pitchers do not contribute more then just pitching.

Eastern View - We havn't seen them.

Culpeper - Tough one; OF has not been tested.  Elliot & Gorby have been solid.  Butler bat died off and Anderson hits 3 HRs but average Batting average.   Overall - Slawson or Lafin.

Caroline - J. Shifflet

Chanceollor - Barlow

Spotsy - only saw them once, 3-2 game

King George - Ward

Last edited by Moneyball

For those that know, what are the stats of some of these players? I am not very familiar with them. I believe Anderson is catcher/DH but isnt he pretty young? Does he lead district in dingers? I know Butler is young as well but is a good size kid. Not sure on stats. I have seen slawson has been on a bit of tear lately. Has he been this hot all season?

I think the 4 seed will be 7-7 to get in the playoffs.  2 teams, Chancellor and Spotsy get that who has tie breaker, or lets say Courtland and Spotsy are 7-7 who has tie break, or chancellor and courtland are 7-7, would that mean they all would have split with each other and then who would have last spot. How does that work? Number draw? playoff? With early this week being rained out, can anyone afford to play scheduled games, rain outs and a playoff?  Should be interesting.....this is where the pitching rules are definitely going to make a difference.   

I totally agree Mr. Zeus!  This is going to come down not just arms but "mound experience".  Teams that have been using the same old lineup with the same rotation will most likely lose at the end.  Due to make up games, teams will start placing arms on the mound with little to no experience and then will have to replace fielders who have very little reps on the field or at bat.   Teams who use a "platoon" fielding/batting concept are much more healthier.  They have used several pitchers on the mound during tight games and most likely will win out at the end.   I think # 4 team will be no less then an 8-6 record due to mathematical probabilities.  To end up with a tie of 7-7 is possible but most likely not probable.  Let's face it - baseball is all about math.

District will be won with pitching, defense and coaching. Pitchinggoest in this order EV,Courtland, Caroline, Culpeper. Culpeper has not used pitching wisely.  A few over pitched and some good ones not used at all. EV has given pitchers experience and not overused the good ones. Courtland and Caroline have one excellent pitcher each and will have issue with pitching rules as Zeus has pointed out. Defense I believes goes to Culpeper except for a few spots, 3rd base decent glove weak arm, catcher strong arm poor catching technique saw 4 pass balls vs.chancellor though didn't matter in blowout. EV next, though weak at corners. Strong all around catcher, average ss.  Courtland sound all around infield but like Culpeper catcher has good arm but poor tech behind plate. Caroline steady all around and well coached, which leads me to next area.  Coaching - EV is by far far best coached team in district, I may not like them but the do excellent work with talent they have.  Caroline next, again well coached and play smart baseball. Courtland right behind Caroline does good job with average talent. Culpeper's demise will be the coaching. As EV is best coached team in district cross town rival is worst. No baseball acumen at all. It will take the players supreme effort to get through district to regions and overcome coaching. My predictions EV and Courtland will advance.

Between today and next week most team have 4 games to play....should be an interesting end of the season.

Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4Day 5Day 6Day 7
Innings Pitched11111RestPitch Full
Innings Pitched2-3RestPitch Full    
Innings Pitched4-7RestRestPitch 2   
Innings Pitched4-7RestRestRestPitch 3  
Innings Pitched4-7RestRestRestRestPitch Full 
Innings Pitched8-9RestRestRestPitch 2  
Innings Pitched8-9RestRestRestRestPitch 3

Innings Pitched8-9RestRestRestRestRestPitch 5-6
 Maximum 14 IP in 7 consecutive days

VHSL Baseball Pitching Regulations

For the purposes of this rule, delivery of one pitch constitutes having pitched in one inning.

A pitcher may pitch in a maximum of nine innings in one day but not more than fourteen innings in any seven day consecutive period.

If a pitcher pitches in one inning for four consecutive days that pitcher shall have one calendar day of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the fourth consecutive day a pitch is thrown.

If a pitcher pitches in two or three innings in one day that pitcher shall have one calendar day of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the first day a pitch is thrown.

If a pitcher pitches four to seven innings in one day that pitcher shall have two calendar days of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the first day a pitch is thrown. Further restrictions regarding this section include:

- After two days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of two innings.

- After three days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of three innings.

- After four days of rest a pitcher may pitch to the limit of the rule.

If a pitcher pitches in eight or nine innings in one day that pitcher shall have three calendar days of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the first day a pitch is thrown.

- After three days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of two innings.

- After four days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of three innings.

- After five days of rest a pitcher may pitch to the limit of the rule.

This limitation applies to regular season as well as post season play.

Penalty

Violation of this rule constitutes use of an ineligible and forfeiture of any games in which such violation occurs. Additionally use of an ineligible carries a $100 fine for the offending school.

Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

I think the 4 seed will be 7-7 to get in the playoffs.  2 teams, Chancellor and Spotsy get that who has tie breaker, or lets say Courtland and Spotsy are 7-7 who has tie break, or chancellor and courtland are 7-7, would that mean they all would have split with each other and then who would have last spot. How does that work? Number draw? playoff? With early this week being rained out, can anyone afford to play scheduled games, rain outs and a playoff?  Should be interesting.....this is where the pitching rules are definitely going to make a difference.   

If past seasons are any indicator, unless there is a 3 way tie (for any seed), they'll determine the seeding by 1) head-to-head 2) preseason draw.  If there is a 3 way tie, I can see the seeding determined by the records of the teams amongst themselves - like they did for the seeding last year when KG, Spotsylvania and Caroline all finished with 11-3 district records.  In that case Spotsy was 3-1, KG 2-2 and Caroline 1-3 so Spotsy had the #1 seed, KG #2 and Caroline #3 for the tournament.  I don't think they'll do a playoff unless it's for the #1 spot.

I agree the pitching rules will have an impact on how everything plays out.

I agree big bang, coaching and experience will be the deciding factor  i would change only culpeper to farrell, EV to gardner.  culp has fine players; however, the young pitchers are hurt.  most likely due to the poor coaching and the lack of a structured regimen. Hitting, well, if the coach wants to play competitive ball, stats must be utilized.  Passed balls &  errors are not addressed.  truly the coach has not utilized advanced play such as bunt defense, cut plays, etc. Youth, favortism, inexperience,, are not attributes of a winning coach. culp has all the talent but ev's coach with experience & knowledge & talent will lead the way to the finals  

EV is definitly a well coached team but they also have a good amount of talent there as well. Caroline, Courtland, Spotsy, Chancellor, are all well coached teams as well. Right now they might not have as much talent player for player, but they have guys in place (hungry guys at that) which make them all dangerous teams especially going down this final stretch. If I were EV and Culpeper I would not take ANYONE lightly. Chancellor has a game with EV and Culpeper, as does Spotsy. Then Caroline is sitting in the shadows waiting for someone to fall. Im not taking anything away from KG or Jayem but neither are in the running at this point which is why I hightlighted the others. Regardless of their record, neither team is going to roll over for anyone.

Culpeper 3 Chancellor 1.  Ferrell and Barlow pitching duel with some unexpected fireworks.   Butler ejected for sliding into home,  Ump said it was malicious,  out for 3 games.  Ouch!  Butler & Smith shared LF and pitched,  Butler out for 3 and Smith out for the season.   Wilson and Davis are available to pitch and play OF.   Tough games approaching should make it very interesting.  Ferrell gave up 2 hits, he has been outstanding all season and will be missed next year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.