Skip to main content

Caroline 5 Culpeper 1.  Desj & Shifflet had a pitching duel against Lafin.  Culpeper scored on a WP and 2 of Caroline's runs were on WPs.  5 to 6 hits a piece.  At first Caroline OF seemed to have trouble seeing a couple of fly balls but their pitching held Culpeper in check.  Lafin pitched well, had 10 Ks and 2 untimely WPs. 

As we approach the last week of the traditional Battlefield District I started wondering how many years these teams have been grinding out a chance to be District Champions?  What or who from these teams have succeeded in sports beyond college?  I was talking to B Jenkins and he was sharing with me how he coached most of these coaches today and some stories of games before.  Good luck this week and to the teams who move onto Sectionals.

Does anyone know how the regional seedings are for this year. 

ex: Battfield 1 vs Bay river 3

Battlefield 2 vs southside 2

Battlefield 3 vs bay river 1

Bay river 2 vs southside 1

Or is it another way...

Looks like the 3 from Battlefield will be EV, Cpep, Car, 3 from Bayrivers will be a battle Warhill, Lafayette, York and New Kent all for top 4.  Southside could be southhampton who i believe is undefeated and i believe #2 seed is greensville, with park view prob. not to far behind. 

Here is your scenarios by the way both eastern view and Culpeper in same scenario win out and you win the regular season title. 

caroline wins out, ev and cpep win Monday and split you have a three way tie for district and regional seed would be made playoff the tournament. If Caroline wins out and cpep and ev lose Monday then split, then Caroline reg season champs. 

If cpep or ev lose Monday and they split then Caroline and team who won Monday in a 1 game playoff.

basically Caroline is hoping for both ev and cpep to split and/or slip up Monday, cpep and ev are trying to take care of business.

but those three will be in top 3 and I feel someone will win the title outright. 

for four seed, chancellor, Courtland and spotsy have a chance with Spotsy prob the least toughest road, could be a possible tie with spotsy and courtland at the end of it, then what? Chancellor with probably the hardest road. Courtland possibly doing the job, but right now spotsy scratching at the door to see who might let them in. 

What a great end of a season for a baseball fan. 

Culp 3 Spotsy 0.  Jake Davis pitched the entire game and did a very nice job keeping Spotsy off balance.  Spotsy killed momentum several times by some crucial base running errors.  Also, Spotsy seemed not willing to play small ball as there were several times a sacrifice bunt was needed but they swung away into force outs.  Z Crimm had a solo HR.

Great game!  EV 3 Culp 1.  Martinez and Farrel pitched excellent complete games.  5 hits for EV and 3 for Culp.  EV executed excellent small ball and hit n run tactics to make the difference.  Culp had 3 innings with a runner on 3rd with 1 out or less and could not score.  Next game Thursday and as a baseball fan hoping for a split.

With a Caroline win over courtland. I would first like to say congrats to EV for clinching at least a share of the regular season district championship.  The scenario comes down to thursdays game with EV and Culpeper, if EV wins then EV is the outright regular season champions and would be the 1 seed for regional, if culpeper wins then EV, Culpeper and Caroline will be co-champs for regular season.  The tournament seeding will be determined by the number draw, the tournament will decide who goes to regionals and to what seed.  

The number draw, Culpeper drew the #1, so Culpeper would be the 1 seed

I am still waiting to hear how to break the tie between spotsy and courtland assuming both finish 7-7 (which we all expect). 

Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

With a Caroline win over courtland. I would first like to say congrats to EV for clinching at least a share of the regular season district championship.  The scenario comes down to thursdays game with EV and Culpeper, if EV wins then EV is the outright regular season champions and would be the 1 seed for regional, if culpeper wins then EV, Culpeper and Caroline will be co-champs for regular season.  The tournament seeding will be determined by the number draw, the tournament will decide who goes to regionals and to what seed.  

The number draw, Culpeper drew the #1, so Culpeper would be the 1 seed

I am still waiting to hear how to break the tie between spotsy and courtland assuming both finish 7-7 (which we all expect). 

Sure about that Zeus?   Last year the seeding for the district tournament was decided by the teams records among themselves (Spotsy, KG and Caroline).   I guess they could do the seeding based on the preseason draw, but for all the talk of that, I've never known them to do it that way - at least not for the past few years.

Congrats to EV that is very impressive.  So,  if there is a 3 way tie for first it comes down to a "pre-season draw" agreed to by the teams.  Culp won the draw according to Zeus.  Does the 2cnd & 3rd seed also come down to a draw?  Furthermore, will Spotsy & Courtland come down to "head to head"?  If so, who won?  If not, do they have a playoff or does the draw answer all?   

Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

This is what someone who knows more than i told me...becuase EV and Caroline split regular season, Culpeper and Caroline split and if scenario plays out this way Culpeper and EV would split that is why it would come to numbers.  

Ah okay so each would have a 2-2 record among themselves and the head-to head among them would not work.  So yeah, I can see the preseason draw being utilized.

Originally Posted by Moneyball:

Does the 2cnd & 3rd seed also come down to a draw?  Furthermore, will Spotsy & Courtland come down to "head to head"?  If so, who won?  If not, do they have a playoff or does the draw answer all?   

Yes, seeds 2 & 3 would be by the preseason draw as their head-to-head is equal.  I imagine 4 seed would also be determined by the draw.  Only time I've seen an early playoff game was Chancellor vs Courtland 2 years ago to determine the #1 seed for the district tournament.

Congrats to EV!  District Champs 4-1 victory.   Culp was out coached, out pitched, and out hit.  Cain Finkle was incredible to watch.  Cain and whoever was calling pitches should be the Co-MVP.  Cain must have had at least 10Ks, change ups, curve balls and hitting every spot with his fast ball only allowing 1 hit, HR to Peavley.  Culp tried a little surprise by starting Butler on the mound.  Butler has pitched around 5 innings in relief this year and most fans were a little shocked by this move.  Butler throws hard, but his junk wasn't really working.  EV sprayed balls around the field.  This move forced Culp to play Crim in LF with no reps.  LF had 1 pass ball which allowed a run.  Gorby came in  relief and stopped the EV machine.  Again, excellent bunt and hit n runs by EV.  They are a well coached team which is disciplined and plays with a swagger.  EV Orndolf made some outstanding catches in LF.

For Culp to start the inexperience sophomore on the mound reminded me of the game of black jack and taking a hit with 17 showing, hoping luck will strike and they will get a 4 for 21.  A championship game is not the time for luck, play within yourself and most of all, play who got you there. Like EV did.  Congrats Cyclones, well deserved.

Just want to congratulate Coach Nobbs and Eastern View for winning the district. Good luck to all teams in the district playoffs and hope to see all the teams moving onto the regional playoffs do well.

Over the last 6 years I have enjoyed watching my two sons compete against the teams in the Battlefield District, with this season been my last as my youngest goes off to play college baseball.

I hope Eastern View and Culpeper still continue to play against the remaining 6 teams in the Battlefield District as they move on to a new district in 2014. There have been some good rivalries established since they joined the Battlefield and hope they continue.

Excellent for Battlefield (3 entries) since EV is #1 an are automacially going to sectionals, how are the rest determined? By District playoffs finals?

Doc of Baseball - not sure of your question but will try to answer.  First and foremost, EV pitching was outstanding and they attention should be on their win.

Culp did not hit so the defensive stats was really not my point.  But since you asked;   The "pass ball" or as some staticians may call it, "an error" or some may not.  Top 4th, Gardiner single to RF, two runs scored. Jackson(I think) hit a line drive single over SS.  Ball got passed the LF'er and Gardiner scored from 1st.   Again, EV earned the win and I wish all the teams much success in the playoffs and/or sectionals.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.