Skip to main content

Please post here any news on any hsbbweb kids who are drafted.

This can be the best and worst of times.  It could lead to great beginnings or a bittersweet ending to a great career.  For some, there will be great joy and relief.  For others, there may be sorrow and bewilderment over a confusing and sometimes unfair process.  Either way, most kids never even get to play in high school let alone college or beyond as these kids have.  

Best wishes to all the draft-eligible kids and their families over the next few days.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by infielddad:

Mark Appel ends up being the #1 pick by Houston, after reportedly not being able to reach a satisfactory contract with Houston in 2012, falling to #8 and not signing with the Pirates. Interesting.

What leverage does he have now though?

Plus, the extra year in college has cost him at least a 1/2 year to the big leagues is my guess.  While I admire his talent immensely, I just don't understand the logic of not signing last year.

Get to the big leagues fast and start the clock towards arbitration.

He does have one interesting bit of leverage - he doesn't have the same sign by date as the Juniors - and thus can hold out essentially forever. By doing so, his slot money disappears and it makes Houston's job of signing their other picks very tricky. I suspect he already has a deal on the table and will sign quickly for very near slot - which will be a couple of million over last year - and he got to avoid the insanity that is the pirates minor league system (hint: check out this link http://sports.yahoo.com/news/p...come-mlb-joke--.html

While his parents do not post here as far as I know, a very good friend and former HS teammate of my younger son was drafted in the 2nd round (#70) by the Rockies yesterday.

Alex Balog, Univ. of San Francisco, RHP.

From my point of view, Alex is a TREMENDOUS example...both parents and player...of how to do it "right."  He is also a great example for us other parents who suffer from Youth baseball and HS baseball anxiety.

I've known Alex since he was about 9 or 10 and coached him at 12.  Always big for his age, Alex was a clunky catcher who could hit the ball a country mile and slog into 2nd base.  His father would not let him pitch...which we fully respected.  He could barely make all star teams.

In HS Alex played 2 sports (water polo and baseball).  Alex did not make varsity baseball until his junior year and that was the right decision by the coach.  As a junior, he was, at best the #3 pitcher on his HS team.  Basically, he pitched in spots and I can even remember a game where the varsity coaches sent him back to JV to pitch a game as a Junior...just to get innings.  No complaints...not a peep.

But you could see it coming.

As a senior, he was dominant...yet still a little clunky.  He was his team's co-MVP, the CA Section MVP.  He helped his team to a mythical national championship (Perfect Game and Rivals.com).  Plenty of scouts saw him pitch and at 6 ft. 6 in., I thought for sure someone would realize that there was a LOT untapped still...plus I had the background to have seen where he was at 12 and where he was at 18.

AMAZING development...that just continued on through college.

In HS he was a solid 90 mph...I hear he's mid 90's now.  And I can imagine that there might be more to come.

You see, its not all about making that all star team or making varsity as a freshman...or even a sophomore.  Its not about whining to the coach that you're getting hosed.  Its not always about getting the big scholarship to the top-20 baseball program.  Its about putting your head down, believing in yourself...and having the parents who are patient and believe in you too.

Wonderful young man...polite as can be and a great teammate...and a truly patient and wonderful family.

Last edited by justbaseball
Originally Posted by justbaseball:

< snip > 

You see, its not all about making that all star team or making varsity as a freshman...or even a sophomore.  Its not about whining to the coach that you're getting hosed.  Its not always about getting the big scholarship to the top-20 baseball program.  Its about putting your head down, believing in yourself...and having the parents who are patient and believe in you too.

Wonderful young man...polite as can be and a great teammate...and a truly patient and wonderful family.

. . .totally agree.

Having known Alex and his family during those high school years, my son was a HS team mate of Alex's, it's a great story for a wonderful family and a wonderful young man.  I couldn't be happier for someone.

Brad Goldberg - 10th round RHP Ohio State to the Chicago White Sox.

Brad's Mom used to post here and I knew her well as he played one year with my son at Coastal.  Also, I believe TPM has met her as well.  Brad had a fine year at Ohio State.  Congrats to Brad and his family!

Update: I just spoke to his mother briefly.  She was bawling her eyes out.  An emotional time indeed. 

Last edited by ClevelandDad

James Roberts, Infielder, USC/Archbishop Mitty HS, 15th round to the Indians.

James' father posts on here somewhat regularly and recently.  

James was another HS teammate of my younger son (along with Alex Balog).  He was the other half of team "co-MVP" in their senior year.  James, like Alex is a wonderful young man.  Very positive, caring and kind.  He was a 4-year varsity player in HS and his natural talent is off the charts.

He possesses a 93-95 mph arm (in HS) and can certainly make the switch to the bump if it gives him a better chance...but I don't see why he should.  He's an awfully good hitter.

Also, like Alex, James comes from a wonderful and supportive family.  Always at every game and ALWAYS cheering for teammates just as much as James.  Through two years of college for my younger son, I always got nice notes from James' father as USC was about to or had played my younger son's team.  Always encouraging, always positive.

Now I'll be a little bit of a cheerleader...I definitely think James can make it to the big leagues.  He has so many natural tools and abilities including speed.  I really thought he would be drafted a fair amount higher, but these are things I've never really understood through a plethora of players that I've met or seen over the years.  The good news is that he's now gonna get a chance and thats all many players ever need.  James is one to bet on to grind his way to the top.  Bottom line, I think the Indians just got a steal!  

Originally Posted by Susan B:

Tyler Brunnemann (my son) was drafted by the Houston Astros today in the 40th round. He had a benign brain tumor at age 11, was not given a scholarship for college( he played D3), but continued to fight, work hard and get better!! I'm so proud of all he's accomplished!! 

Congratulations to your son! 

The GM of the Astros was the man who drafted my son when he was with the Cardinals, Jeff Luhnow. I hope that your son gets a chance to meet him.

Tyler Brunnemann (my son) was drafted by the Houston Astros today in the 40th round. He had a benign brain tumor at age 11, was not given a scholarship for college( he played D3), but continued to fight, work hard and get better!! I'm so proud of all he's accomplished!! 

Susan, I absolutely love to read about D3 guys getting drafted, because I was one of those nervous parents not believing it could happen.

Thank you for posting about your son, Tyler.  None of us can fully appreciate your excitement for all Tyler has done.  We can sure appreciate him and be gosh darn happy for him and for you.

Once drafted, it really is an opening and a chance to fulfill a dream.  My next move is to Milb and to make sure I follow Tyler.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by TPM:

Congratulations to your son! 

The GM of the Astros was the man who drafted my son when he was with the Cardinals, Jeff Luhnow. I hope that your son gets a chance to meet him.

Dear TPM,

Thank you~~Tyler got to meet him last Saturday at the Astros Pre-draft workout. Tyler's pretty quiet, so I doubt he said much, but he did say he met him!

Thanksinfielddad!! We are over the moon!!

Congratulations to everyone and their sons for getting their names called today. James was a teammate of my son At USC. My sons roommate for three years Adam Landecker was drafted in the 22 round by the Pirates. Another great kid, and a plus plus defender at several infield positions. Best of luck to all the boys, they worked hard for this .It is quite different from college ball as they will soon see.But its a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thanks for sharing the stories.

Originally Posted by infielddad:
Originally Posted by PGStaff:

I believe "jemaz" son was drafted for the second time this year.

Wonderful player.  Yup, he was picked. Congrats to jemaz and James.

There might be someone who plays the game as hard as James, I just have not seen him. I am pretty sure no one plays harder.

Terrific player!

Thanks! It was a fun day -- and it was my birthday. What a great present. Thanks to PGStaff for remembering and to RyanRod and to everyone here for great insight and lots of fun over the years. 

Between the draft and the CWS this is one of my favorite times of the year.  It's so gratifying to see some of the hsbbw parents son's getting "the call".  Congratulations to all...I salute you and celebrate your son's success!

Five years removed from my son's draft I think I now truly appreciate the merit of play and dedication needed to be drafted. I don't care if you were drafted 1-1 or the very last pick of the final round...this is a GREAT accomplishment and should be cherished and celebrated.

Few are chosen, even fewer will make it however at the end of the day your son's have the opportunity to become a "Professional" ball player...how cool is that!

Amazing story. Congratulations!

Congratulations to the HSBBWeb families that heard their family/friends name called the last few days.  My son's team heard four names called, including his roommate (Dominique Taylor OF) who was chosen by the Royals in the 15th round. I was fortunate to attend the Draft Party for Andrew Thurman (RHP) on Thursday night.  We watched the MLB Network Draft coverage from the university's pavillion in the ballpark, and Andrew was the 40th overall pick by the Astros in the 2nd round...pretty cool to share that with the Thurman Family & his teammates.  Matt Whitehouse(LHP) & Kyle Hooper (RHP) were selected in the 19th & 25th round respectively by the Indians and Dodgers.  Lastly, my son's former high school teammate, Trae Arbet was selected by the Pirates in the 5th round.  I have to say, we had a fun & eventful couple of days!

Chad Kuhl who used to pitch for our local high school (Middletown High School, DE) was drafted in the 9th round by the Pirates. The high school runs a baseball camp and members of the varsity team help out every year. A couple of years ago I got the chance to have a catch with him and work on pitching. Hopefully he makes it to the MLB so I can watch him when he plays the Phillies.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.