Skip to main content

Corn Jr got the call Saturday.  He had no offers coming out of High school as a very good catcher.  A local D3 Coach went many extra miles trying to help him get a chance to play in college above the D3 level.  He finally helped him get an offer from a JUCO D1 school in another state.  He went down there and lit it up, first team all region, second in conference in HR's and tied for 11th in the nation.  After his freshman year at the JUCO he received offers from some very good D1 programs, several of who are still playing in the super regionals but selected to go to a solid mid major program in State for a number of reasons.  He fought all fall and finally won the starting catchers job in the spring.  His first D1 game he had 3 RBI's and no steals against him.  In his second game in the first inning with 2 outs and a runner on second he hit a single to left center and went to second on the throw home.  The throw was cut off and they threw to second, he went in head first and was safe, but broke his hand on the slide.  Now out 6-8 weeks and he couldn't even swing a bat all he could do was throw to keep in shape.  His college coach put a radar gun on him and found he was in the low 90's, with no pitching experience or training.  Long story short this year he DHéd and did a little pitching and on Sat. while doing a charity event for his college wood bat team he got the call from the Reds, drafted as a pitcher.  Whether he signs or returns to school is to be determined, but the years of hard work and sacrifice have paid off with him achieving of one of his goals, being drafted.  

Originally Posted by warningtrack:

Warningtrack son was drafted by the Giants in the 40th Round. As die hard Giants fans you can imagine the feeling in our house!

CONGRATULATIONS!   As a Giants fan and having had my son drafted by the Giants also (back in 2010), So we in our family know exactly how it feels.  AWESOME

PG - One thing I don't think I've ever seen explained with any reliability is how the draft unfolds within a given team.

I suspect rounds 1-5 (1-10?) are pretty intense, but what about after that?  More experienced scouts get their way with 'personal' picks?  The scout who drafted our older son in the 13th round...good guy, still talks to our son a lot even though they're both with different teams...made it sound like the big bosses aren't even in the room after about round 10.  But maybe I misunderstood.

Any way for you to shed light?  Just curious, nothing more.

Originally Posted by warningtrack:

Warningtrack son was drafted by the Giants in the 40th Round. As die hard Giants fans you can imagine the feeling in our house!

Congrats to you & your son warningtrack.I think my 2013 played with your son at last years Reebok NorCal WS in Stockton that won the ship! Good luck to him at USD!

justbaseball, Somehow I missed your question earlier. Out of respect thought I should post something even this late.  Susan B's post brought the thread back.

Anyway, I don't have a very good answer.  Clubs differ in the way they look at the draft and their scouting department philosophy. Some take the last half of the draft more seriously than others.  Obviously the early rounds are most important, but with the new CBA the 11th round is vitally important.  And there are still lots of early draft prospects available at that time.  

Just this year a high school player (All American) slipped to the very late rounds. He ended up signing for a reported $850,000. Add on any penalties to the club based on the new CBA and they paid 1st/2nd round money for the player.  Obviously that had to involve the big decision makers.

I've heard some strange stories. I've actually been a part of some strange decisions. This usually does happen in the later rounds, but not always. We often hear that PG doesn't have a draft pick stuff and it is true.  However, this past year I got a call during the 3rd round.  Went like this... What can you tell us about So and So. I gave my opinion both positive and negative. I continued to answer questions and was told they have only minutes left before they were on the clock.  They asked one final question, "Would you take him in the 3rd round?" My answer... "Absolutely"!  They did take that player minutes later. I later got a text saying congratulations on your draft pick.

in the past I've had discussions with scouting directors before the draft. They ask questions like we have the ??? Pick. Who do you like at that pick?  Usually after I give an opinion they end up going another way. These things don't happen because of any expertise on my part. They happen because most scouting departments and especially scouting directors are very thorough.  They know we see these players a lot and might know something important, some added info that might help them in their decision.

There certainly are scouts with more clout than others.  They have earned that respect within the organization. Often, not always, these types are in areas that produce the most talent. Scouting directors tend to get out there and see most of the players considered early round types. They tend to go see all the potential first round types. Cross checkers see most all of those players taken in the top 10 rounds or more.  But some of those players end up past the 10th round. I think most of the highest level people in MLB scouting departments are very much involved the first couple days of the draft. After that it depends on the organization. There is usually a point where the area scouts are picking the players they want and that point also differs from one club to another and can depend on who the area scout is. At some point it becomes almost a picking out of a hat draft. That is where we see a few relatives getting drafted and some long shots that are still on the board.

The one thing many people don't understand is a player has to be turned in and on the MLB list with an ID number or he cannot get drafted.  I know of many people who have agonized over the draft without realizing they are not even on the list.

Sorry for the long winded response. The short answer is each club operates the same in some ways and much differently in other ways.

PGStaff -- you said:

The one thing many people don't understand is a player has to be turned in and on the MLB list with an ID number or he cannot get drafted.  I know of many people who have agonized over the draft without realizing they are not even on the list.

Is it accurate to say it is an MLB scout who turns the name in and generates an ID number? Does the young man get notified when this happens? If so, by whom? Thanks.

Sometimes the player will know he is in, but not always. Most often a player will know, but the problem is the players who think they might be drafted that don't know they can't be drafted.

Many people think if you are playing and eligible for the draft you might get picked. You see scouts at your game and you played well so you might get picked.  They don't even know they won't get picked because they aren't on the list.

If someone is being courted by multiple teams he most likely is on that list.

If a scout talks to a player it in no way means he is on that list or will be.

If a good number of agents call, you know that your name is most likely being discussed.

What people do not understand is that not all scouts are equal.  Make sure that you know who you are talking to and what scout is giving your son advice.

Do not fall for that you would be better served by signing after HS.  That's a great option if someone gives you 850.

Hope all is well with all of those who have sons playing their first season.  Try to remember that the road is long and winding, hang in there.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.