Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RedsoxFan21,

Frightening is in the eye of the beholder. IMHO there has to be an extremely compelling reason for a HS sophomore to verbally commit. PIS suggested a few examples, but GT is probably the young man's dream school for one reason or another. I wish him well.

I think it is very difficult to understand the family's decision making process sitting on the outside. I've heard hundreds of reasons for why a recruit selects a school....some of them good and some of them not so good. Possibly the biggest competition to snatch this recruit from GT will be the MLB draft if the kid is as talented as I think he is.
First, congratulations to Kyle and his family. Georgia Tech is an excellent academic and athletic institution.

Second, let us remember that it takes two decisions. The school must evaluate the player and decide to offer an athletic scholarship, and the player must evaluate the school and accept the offer. It is not an unilateral decision.

Third, others have made the same decision. I believe T. J. Costen accepted South Carolina's offer at an even earlier date.

Fourth, don't believe the other shortstop ever attended Georgia Tech, and was not as fast as Kyle.

Fifth, the parties can change their minds until Kyle signs his letter of intent.

For me, I hope it goes very well for both school and player!
Last edited by El gato
In other words, it's not a commitment. Until everything (and I mean everything) is signed, it's all vaporware.
FWIW, there seems to be the start of some rumbles in College sports over this (the Cabinet is actually reopening discussions) - some researcher took the time & found that something on the order of 25% of early commits don't happen (I'll try to find the link), but this varies by sport w/LAX being the worst off...
I looked at Perfect Game, and noticed they listed their top 150 players in the 2014 class. Approximately 30 players or 20% had orally committed. Georgia Tech has another commitment among the top 150 players. Kyle, who is ranked #1 in Virginia, holds down the #124 spot nationally. Not much information, such as, 60 time or arm speed, is given.

Would agree with Jess1. A number of commits (early and late) change schools for various reasons. Do not know the percentage though!
Last edited by El gato

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.